Kirmuss Audio Ultrasonic RCM?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve0, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Im not talking about the product itself, just the people behind it and their apparent lies. What you bought is basically a cleaner for jewelry modified for records as I understand it, might work wonders for all I know, thats not the problem here though.

2. kr9

kr9 Active Member

Yep it does as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: OK, I'm not kidding, I just processed a Jim Croce album with marks and **** all over it - it got a TINY bit raspy in the inner grooves but otherwise is silent????? This one just blew me away. Following the process in the manual and adding a minute or two each cycle FWIW.

Edit2: Will be reporting back on inner grooves - I suspect they are the least affected :( (but also likely the most damaged from previous owners - worth noting).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  3. kr9

kr9 Active Member

My badly scratched (I would say rating: G at best) Alice in Chains - Dirt First pressing did not improve as much as I had hoped. Scratching is real guys, this machine only slightly cleaned up popcorn from scratches - I really tried with this one, many, many cycles. Only slight improvement on visibly damaged albums IMO. Croce album looked really bad maybe worse than this one...but cleaned up very nicely. Be very aware of circular scratches and cracking is what I learned here.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I found that working the record with conventional cleaning, e.g. AIVS No. 15, vacuum, rinse, sometimes several times, can remove the groove grunge. Sometimes it is damage that no amount of cleaning will resuscitate. i'm a big believer in combining methods, using ultrasonic as one step. And rinsing with as pure a water rinse as you can get.
    You will hear more with ultrasonic cleaning, but sometimes it just doesn't get the glued or ground in stuff--the conventional cleaning and ultrasonic cleaning become complimentary since each does something different. And the rinse removes the cleaning fluid and remaining residue of contamination. I just finished re-cleaning a record a friend sent using multiple steps like this. I will listen to it later tonite or tomorrow as part of a comparison against a recent reissue, then return his copy to him. He has an Audio Desk, but doesn't go through all the work I do, and I'm happy to do it in exchange for loaning me the record for evaluation.
    PS: I meant to respond to your earlier post about inner groove noise-- that's one place where I've found combined methods to yield results.

Clayton93 and patient_ot like this.
  5. Leonthepro

You cant clean away groove wear, just so you know. Damages are not fixed by cleaning, if anything it can make the more clear.

6. kr9

kr9 Active Member

Very interesting to know, thanks for the input, well there's my next step with these records!

7. kr9

kr9 Active Member

Only clear/colored/picture disc album that did not clean up perfectly was Filter - Short bus Green MOV release and Tool Lateralus Picture disc. Three other picture discs cleaned up to near perfect playback (silent) and 7 other colored / "painted" / clear albums did the same.

All of my MOV releases are now clean sounding except that Filter green clear. Woot!

8. Grainger49

Grainger49 Forum Resident

I went to the Farmers Coop today and bought a gallon of food grade propylene glycol. I had already bought a 100ml graduated cylinder and made a 1% solution as Charles Kirmuss called out.

Yes, it wetted the LP but not as the Kirmuss fluid does. Next a 2% solution.

I feel like I didn't get the whole truth.

Clayton93, Gumboo and Soundhead like this.
  9. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

The whole truth about what?

10. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Isn’t propylene glycol basically anti-freeze?

11. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

No, you're thinking of Ethylene Glycol. Propylene Glycol is used in topical meds, cigar humidifiers, e-cigs and the like. Not really food-grade, but not deadly like EG.

12. Grainger49

Ayrehead, about his formula for the cleaning/wetting agent.

I went to the Coop because it is used in the 100%, USP, pure form for treating problems in cattle.

13. ayrehead

You really can't expect him to divulge his formula to the world when he's trying to sell it, can you?

Tommyboy likes this.
  14. Grainger49

$875, shipped, for the US unit should cover his cost and profit nicely. But $1088 for a gallon of brew that costs under a dollar is getting screwed, IMHO.

doak and Clayton93 like this.
  15. ayrehead

Baby needs a new pair of shoes...

16. Leonthepro

Brilliant! Although, I dont know about the RVG. Dont most love the original RVG Blue Note pressings?

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

You tell me ! I have to do deal with whatever pressing I can get my hands on.

18. Leonthepro

Ive never heard anyone complain at least, except Hoffman maybe.

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Funny because I spent a lot of tine with the Kirmuss guys at CAF last weekend and I know at one point I heard one of them say that the surfactant was “basically antifreeze.”

20. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Well, I stand corrected, sort of. A quick Google showed me that Propylene Glycol is a key ingredient in "non-toxic" anti-freeze, which I did not know existed. Regular old, toxic "why, if it was good enough for granddad, it's good enough for me" anti-freeze uses Ethylene Glycol.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No

bluesaddict likes this.
  22. kr9

kr9 Active Member

Could you please do me a big favor and try your method using Ethylene Glycol instead of Propylene Glycol? I am very curious if this is indeed the agent used.

23. Leonthepro

How so?

24. Grainger49

Are you asking for me to try anti-freeze? If not where do I get Ethylene Glycol?

25. kr9

kr9 Active Member