Kirmuss Audio Ultrasonic RCM?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve0, Apr 28, 2018.

1. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

2. Grainger49

Grainger49 Forum Resident

I have a VIP 16.5 and have used Osage Audio cleaning and rinse solutions. The Kirmuss is better except for the cost of the cleaning fluids. But if you insist I'll put you on "ignore" too.

mkane, yes but I bought only 8oz as I make up 100ml at a time and it will last 10 years.

3. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Whats your dilusion ratio if I may ask? I was goung to use it straight. 25 more today and I just started. It's raining.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  4. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Searched and 1% seems about right. And do you mix this with DW?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  5. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

More searching and 20 drops per 4 oz will get 1%.

6. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Can't beat free shipping. 16 oz. ordered

7. Grainger49

Yes, I make a 1% solution in a 1ooml graduated cylinder.

8. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Is this 1% mixture working like the original? I've used spin clean solution at 1% and have gotten good results.

9. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

And I'm going to start making my own distilled water. Already tired of those 1 gals. jugs taking up space not to mention all that plastic.

10. I'm noticing the same thing with my 2nd bottle, makes me wonder if the formula is different from the bottle packaged with the ultrasonic. I tested this by spraying 1 side with the new bottle and the 2nd with the initial bottle and the side with the fluid from the original seemed to foam more so than the newer bottle side.

Tommyboy likes this.
  11. kr9

kr9 Active Member

I am sad (and admittedly embarrassed) to report that I believe I have warped a record putting it through too many times. Don't obsess over white foam, don't make the same mistake I did. In my defense the red light was not flashing throughout.

My plan going forward is the quoted gentleman's method.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  12. Dmitry

Dmitry Forum Resident

I want to assemble the filtration system as well. Could you make an exact shopping list of what and where to purchase? I looked on the DIY forum, but those guys are pretty vague for me to go shopping on my own. Thanks!

13. In regards to filtration, couldn’t you use a lower-end (cost-wise) fish tank canister filter? Connect the intake tube to the Kirmuss ‘drain’ plug and tape the outtake to the other end of the Kirmuss tank?

ayrehead likes this.
  14. Grainger49

My home brew of 1% PG and distilled water doesn't wet the LPs as well as the Kirmuss fluid does and doesn't have the same fragrance either.

15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Here's some info, at least on the filtering- down to .35 micron: tima’s DIY RCM – follow-up #2: Compelling Changes - Improved Results - The Vinyl Press
    I published this, so I'll ask the author, Tim, to post here on what pump he uses- you need something powerful enough with that fine a filter.
    Rush Paul's article was the first to summarize the learning on the DIY Audio thread, but I took a quick look and it wasn't that specific about parts sourcing for the filtration unit. Well worth reading though, kind of a seminal piece in the literature: Ultrasonic Cleaning
    Rushton is a member here too-- I think he posted yesterday in response to something else I asked about (unrelated to cleaning), so perhaps he can weigh in too. @Rushton ?

16. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

I have a stinkin' suspicion that the smell of Kirmuss' product is NOT based upon its major ingredients, but rather on a minute amount of some organic chemical, perhaps an ester? I recall a minute "little dab will do you" amount of an ester smelling like butterscotch from chemistry lab back in the early 1970s.

You reverse-engineering chemists might start by synthesizing these esters in your sink. Advise to wear goggles & white lab coat, as needed.

Grape, Banana, Wintergreen

Synthesis of Esters Lab Report

17. Grainger49

I think you might be confusing this with Brylcreen. Or not. :D:D:D

I admit, that is a great quote.

4xoddic likes this.
  18. Grainger49

I will download a picture showing the home brew doesn't wick into the grooves like the Kirmuss fluid.

Can you tell that 12:00 and 4:00 are wetting the grooves, the home brew at 7:00 is just beading up like water on a waxed car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Grainger49

Well, I can't imbed the image. Any heads up on image posting? I'm a computer cripple.

20. Grainger49

One more try, 7:00 doesn't wet the grooves.

[​IMG]

21. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

The problem I’ve discovered with the Kirmuss is that once you’ve “awakened the beast” and have the white paste appearing, you need to get it all out or it accumulates fast on your stylus. Not good! I’d almost rather have that embedded and not softened and I’m still not sure if the white stuff is actually the (1) old soap, (2) release compound, (3) the surfactant itself, or (4) a component of the vinyl itself that the repeated cavitation with alcohol and surfactant are actually stripping from the vinyl.

22. Grainger49

I've been disturbed that I have had no white stuff coming from the grooves since the 8th LP. I guess I have cleaned about 60 now.

23. kr9

kr9 Active Member

YES, well articulated, this is exactly my plight.

24. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

@Dmitry @Shawn
    Tim responded with this link to a parts list for his filter.

Shawn likes this.
  25. Thank you! Interesting set-up he has. Should I go down this road, I might go the fish tank canister route (w/.35 micron after-market filters) as I feel it will integrate with the Kirmuss easily - nylon tube from 'drain' of Kirmuss to the canister filter, nylon tube back in to the Kirmuss for outpout). Something along these lines:

https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Aurora...id=1543847288&sr=1-7&keywords=canister+filter

The above is just an example, but fish tank canister filters are typically rated for large (50 gallon+) tanks so the power is definitely there. Some include filter media, but as these often include charcoal they obviously can't be used. But fitting in .35 micron foam should be a breeze.