Kirmuss Audio Ultrasonic RCM?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve0, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

A SH.tv member offered me $100 off the Kirmuss plus free shipping. I accepted, so that is my new offer to other SH.tv memebers (instead of a straight 15%).

REPEAT:
    If anyone wants to be emailed a copy of the HiFiCritic Kirmuss review, please PM me with your email address.

2. Bryon

Bryon Forum Resident

Warren

I've sent you a pm [started a conversation - is that the same thing?] to request a copy of the HiFiCritic Kirmuss review -

thanks for sharing

Bryon

3. fred13

fred13 Member

Hello
    I have been using the Kirmuss machine for a few months, and I would be interested too in a copy of the Hificritic review !
    Thanks a lot
    Frédéric

4. fred13

fred13 Member

Hello
    A new review in the German magazine Stereo Magazine (in english !).
    Conclusion : excellent 4/5, but curiously they don't speak of surfactant any more : the spray is only used as an antistatic at the end of the process, and the wash-cycle is limited to the first step described in the manual : the disc is simply washed without the "surfactant".
    For very dirty records it is only recommended to extend the time to 10' instead of 5'.

5. Grainger49

Grainger49 Forum Resident

So... what I hear happening here is that many of you just skip the mystery "surfactant" and rinse/vacuum the LP as a final step.

Has anyone found the surfactant helps as an anti-static elixir?

6. I ended up purchasing a RecordFriend record cleaner as it's effectively a cheaper version of a Spin Clean, and it comes with a record drying stand. So my process is 1) initial clean in a Spin Clean, to get the fingerprints, etc. off, 2) in the Kirmuss, then 3) in the RecordFriend for a rinse. I'm using the Spin Clean cleaner in the Spin Clean, and TergiKleen in the Kirmuss. Nothing but distilled water in the RecordFriend.

Getting great results with this method.

bluesaddict likes this.
  7. Just putting the LP in the distilled water takes always almost all static charge, at least in my house (might be different in other areas based on humidity levels).

Grainger49 and bluesaddict like this.
  8. Grainger49

I run a humidifier in the listening room 24/7 during the cold months. It keeps the static down. But I was asking if anyone was using the final step from the Kirmuss video that uses the surfactant as an anti-static treatment?

9. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

No.

10. Nope, no need for me to do that.

11. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

No, I'm not either. I have a little static from time to time but I also have a Herbie TT Matt.

12. And I'd be afraid that using the surfactant as an antistatic would introduce more noise on the LP.

Grainger49 likes this.
  13. Grainger49

It looks like there are no "Yes" responses. Replying "No" is kind of superfluous.

14. Sorry for trying to be helpful. Next time, just ask for 'yes' responses.

15. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

In the strictest sense, it is. But I find the "no" answers enlightening as they generally include reasons and so forth.

Grainger49 and Shawn like this.
  16. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I use the last step. No static issues.

Grainger49 likes this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That Monks machine is sweet!

Bill, you should be wearing the white lab coat. Not Kirmuss.

18. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

There's a reason why there aren't many photos of me on the web. There's one old shot of me that was taken when I was a partner in a big law firm that you'll see on the web. Long out of date.
    I now look like a roadie-reject from the Allman Bros. I don't think I'd have any credibility wearing a lab coat. Straight-jacket might be better.
    I'm up late. Got a new arm and arm pillar today for the Kuzma XL and had been feeling lousy for the last couple days. So, I figured I'd wait until I felt better. I went to bed, and all I could think about was tone arm geometry, rebalancing the Minus K, etc. So I got up and just spent the last three hours setting up a second arm after breaking the entire thing down and re-balancing all the pieces on the Minus K platform. I actually had fun doing it. Tells you what a masochist I am; I never considered myself technically adept. I had set up quite a few turntables back in the day, but hesitate with kilobuck cartridges.
    I'm now getting more comfortable doing my own set up work again, since there's nobody local I can call. NYC had Mike Trei and a couple other turntable gurus.
    I wear these wacky looking magnifying glasses that light up- I definitely look like I escaped!
    (Once, driving in Westchester, I actually did see guys in hospital whites chasing a guy with a net. I thought that went out with the Three Stooges).
    Oh, well, off to bed. We'll worry about it when I wake up- more tweaking and alignment to do.

bluesaddict and Tommyboy like this.
  19. Grainger49

Funny! ! ! I know what you mean. I, too, have very few recent pictures of me on the "net" one of me at VSAC 2003 in my Bottlehead "Staff" T-Shirt from the back.

20. SimpleSimonSays

SimpleSimonSays Forum Resident

Thank you for that It made laugh sooo hard!

Never mind the yellow suit and the WD-40, all I kept thinking was that sink is awfully close to the stereo...

:biglaugh:

21. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

22. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

In my opinion the brush is too loose and spreads out too much. I've come up with a little tweak to remedy this. Take a cable tie and install it at the base of the brush. I like it better this way. YMMV.

[​IMG]

bluesaddict and Soundhead like this.
  23. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

If you watch his video you can see that he hold the brush just below the handle. I like your idea and will give it a try.

Just for my info, do you pull your record out sliding it to the back so the two pads do most of the drying or do you pull it straight up?

24. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

I just pull it straight out.

25. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

I decided to do my four RSD purchases today, and then did 26 more records while I was at it. Man it isn’t my favourite job ever. My question is this, after five minutes in the Kirmuss the records start to “warp” but then when you take them out and dry them off they flatten back into place, I’m no science expert so how does this work exactly?