Kirmuss Audio Ultrasonic RCM?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve0, Apr 28, 2018.

1. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Many of the folks who purchased this machine have had good results. Like you said it won't make a record perfect but it will clean it so you get more detail of what's being played. I've had mine for almost two years and almost any record can benefit from US cleaning. With records that I bought new I clean with just the water to get the junk out from the pressing plant (they are not a clean environment! I've been to one). If you have read all of this thread there are lots of fluids you could try out. Don't forget this is a hobby so don't over analyze just enjoy the music.

2. RoddB

RoddB Member

I hear you. :) My problem is that I am an engineer by trade and lean toward the AR side. :)

bluesaddict likes this.
  3. RoddB

RoddB Member

That would be cool. I need to figure out how I can capture the audio from the TT. If I do, I will be sure to post some before and after clips.

4. RoddB

RoddB Member

After a few days of cleaning, I can say that heat is my barrier to completing numerous cleanings. It does build up over cycles and is really hard to get the fluid down in temperature. I have measured readings as high as 99 F. So I try to go slow and keep things below 90 F.

Now for surfactant, what is the opinion on the Record Research Lab cleaner? https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Fidelity-Super-Record-Wash/dp/B003TYF6M6

Much cheaper than the $85 Kirmuss, 300 ML bottle.

5. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Put a blue ice pack in the water between cleanings?

6. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

For less money you can get a bottle of ilfotol and mix it yourself and have a years supply and know what is in the liquid you are putting on your records

Ilford Ilfotol Wetting Agent (Liquid) for Black & White Film & Paper - 1 Liter

latheofheaven likes this.
  7. Clivem2

Clivem2 Member

I'm using Tergitol, the brand name I bought is Tergikleen. The AudioDesk fluid is a cost effective option too.

8. PhilCo

PhilCo Forum Resident

Clivem2, to be clear, are you using Tergitol with the Kirmuss US?

9. RoddB

RoddB Member

Good idea. I am going to give this a try.

10. Aq07

Aq07 Forum Resident

Are you using the MOFI brush to scrub or something else and for how long?

11. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I use the Kirmuss brush for the Tergitol/Ilfotol step. Maybe 30 seconds per side tops

12. Clivem2

Clivem2 Member

Yes Phil, I'm using it with my Kirmuss for the brushing step. I have the Kirmuss fluid, AudioDesk and Tergitol. Currently, I'm using Tergitol as it's thought by many to be the best. I can't say that I've reached a conclusion yet but it's certainly economical.

13. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

For the Kirmuss owners :in that way you dry thw records ?

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Because I’m a child, I read that as “mother****ing” towel. Twice.

15. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Because I'm more of a child....I may have meant that.

16. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

I wonder if Kirmuss has an adapter for this record?
    [​IMG]

latheofheaven and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  17. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

:yikes:

Front Row likes this.
  18. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

One of those grey towels he supplies. I bought 6 more. Honestly, it just take a few seconds to dry an LP. They look and sound fantastic.

Front Row and Piero like this.
  19. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

Get larger size towels and an abundance as recommended by Mkane.

20. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

I have little doubt the Kirmuss is just the right machine for some people, and does an excellent job of cleaning when used properly.

However, it also represents pretty much everything I have wanted to avoid and which turns me off about record cleaning, in terms of fussiness, work and inconvenience.

Which is why I bought a Degritter instead :)

21. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

You don't necessarily need to restore every record you own. I modify procedure as needed.

Hell, I even clean bicycle parts with it.

jlrchrds and MattHooper like this.
  22. Grainger49

Grainger49 Forum Resident

I have got to say that using the Kirmuss and cleaning my LPs with the spray is working for me.

Front Row and jlrchrds like this.
  23. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

Yeah I used it without the spray for a year. It made a nice difference in sound. After the urging of Kirmuss to use the spray, I figured I’d try it. He seemed pretty genuine. Now I use the spray and it makes a HUGE sound difference. The dude is right. Jeff

24. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

I just finished building a system. I thought maybe I'd throw it out here since I use the exact same tank as the Kirmuss system.

SandAndGlass and Leonthepro like this.
  25. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

What I would like to know is, whether the Kirmuss machine is able to clean records
    that are very dirty (fingerprints, lots of dust, records that have been played wet for years, grease etc.)?

Keep in mind I have no interest in using the Kirmuss surfactant or antistatic spray. I am sure it works,
    but it is way too expensive, the process is time consuming and I do not want to spend that much money.

So, is there a way to get records clean that are extremely dirty using this ultrasonic device?