Kiseki Purple Heart upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wpjs, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I have heard a Proteus paired with an Allnic and a Feikert arm and it was harsh and bright sounding

2. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I understand and agree with that... and it could actually affect my judgement, even if I didn't consciously intend to do so.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  3. Warren Jarrett

Wow, in my system, The Proteus sounds smooth and romantic, but at the same time lively and detailed. Whereas the Purple Heart was also smooth and romantic, but dynamically dead and boring. I think its a whole system synergy, but this particular TT is a Lurne/AudioMeca, with Graham tonearm. I also have 3 generations of Koetsu Onyx and Jade carts, and at first I thought the Purple Heart sounded a lot like those... but over time, I realized NO CART has the Koetsu magic midrange and the Koetsu depiction of acoustic reality.

So just to expose my other MC cart preferences, I love the Shelter 90x and Harmony, the Benz Ebony LP, Ebony LPS and Ebony TR, the Koetsu stone bodies, the Audio Note Io, and the Transfiguration Proteus. Also the old Denon 103D (but no other 103 model), and the Denon 305, both discontinued long ago. So I hoard them and use them for audio shows. Listeners just cannot believe that a fancy audio system, with a lowly, old Denon like these can sound so good, compared to neighboring rooms they just heard.

Oh, and one more thing I noticed about the Purple Heart is that it lends it character to every record I played, instead of getting out of the way and clearly playing each record's distinctive sonic character.

There is art and mathematics to matching a step-up or active phono stage to every cartridge. So ANY moving coil cart can sound harsh and bright, with the majority of what's just downstream from it, if you haven't experimented with a few alternatives. To properly evaluate and compare MC carts, you cannot just use the same step-up or phono stage for every one.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

This is such a tough question to answer as the sound with the same arm and cartridge mounted can vary by wholesale amounts with different speakers and phono preamps/SUTs.

For example, I have two VPI unipivots- one with a Cadenza Black, the other with a VAS Nova Signature. VAS is literally the next space to VPI, and Steve and Harry are good friends. Steve In fact wires most (all?) of the 3D tonearms for VPI. His cartridges are essentially made for the VPI arms.

My Cadenza has a slightly more recessed soundstage...at or behind the speaker a bit. The VAS is slightly more forward and less polite. The VAS is very smooth, accurate. The Cadenza is a shibata and known for its accuracy.

I have a Modwright PH 9.0 phono stage and a VAS MC-One SUT. Believe it or not, I like the SUT better with my Cadenza. The VAS Nova sounds best directly into the MC inputs of the Modwright. In fact, the Cadenza has won back the “top spot” with my current set up after losing it to the VAS for a year with my old phono preamp. With my old phono stage (Rogue Ares) I preferred the VAS SUT with the Nova.

It would be helpful to know:

What are you hearing now?
    What do you like?
    What do you dislike?
    What sound do you think you are looking for?

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I don't think we ever had my Purple Heart loaded right. Just too much midband suckout. It can't possibly be voiced to sound like that..

6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Interesting. I've never heard the current Purple Heart. But midrange-suckout is the last thing that I would accuse my classic (1980's vintage) Purple Heart of. I think that I loaded mine is loaded around 110 Ohms. It has one of the most lush-sounding midranges I've ever heard.

7. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

I had a Kiseki Purpleheart with a VPI 12" 3d arm and it matches perfectly with it. It required the 180g counterweight. For those that stated the purpleheart needs more mass, I never found that to be the case. The Kiseki was one of the best carts as far as compliance with the VPI arm, and I owned an Ortofon, Transfiguration, and Soundsmith. The kiseki is a pain to set up though due to the hidden stylus and how fine and transparent it is.

8. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

I found it best loaded at 800... which was considerably different than Kiseki's recommended load setting of 400.

9. Warren Jarrett

I remember at your house, Steve, we used a 1:10 Music First Audio step-up, which loaded the Purple Heart at 470 ohms. That is slightly above the manufacturer's recommendation, and therefore would suppress the highs a bit compared to the manufacturer's recommendation. If anything this means the midrange was slightly emphasized compared to the slightly rolled-off highs. I do believe it was voiced like that to have a distinctive sound of warm and fuzzy, particularly with female vocals that audiophiles so often use as their reference recordings to demo thier system... or to evaluate their new cartridge.

But may you may have also used your wonderful Sutherland battery-powered phono stage straight-in.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  10. Steve Hoffman

I think we tried it both ways. The GRADO hi-ticket stuff certainly sounded more lifelike and lively..

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm not as familiar with Audio Note as many here but I will say this...the AN room at the Florida show sounded excellent.

12. Steve Hoffman

Do you know the AN gear used? Any pics? Just curious.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yes, I listed it in the Audio Note fans thread.

I will do a brief show report soon for Part-Time Audiophile.

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Audio Note TT3 turntable, M2 Phono and the Conqueror stereo amplifier. I believe the speaker model was the AN-E.

15. Warren Jarrett

I received a loan sample of a MC cartridge from a brand new cartridge company, Aidas, but made for them by Namiki, who invented and patented the MicroRidge stylus shape. Has anyone ever heard or heard of this brand? Would anyone be interested in coming to The Audio Home in Fullerton, to listen and compare to some of my other (more expensive) MC cartridges? I would like to hear opinions about just how viable ANOTHER moving coil cartridge in the market actually is for us.

Here is a review that captured my attention. I have not listened to it yet, but they have already offered me the opportunity to represent it, if I like it and think there are potential sales opportunity for me. I already represent two cartridge manufacturers, Audio Note and Triangle Art, but this cartridge would be less expensive, and the reviewer reports it sounds "extremely well-defined and lifelike... top notch".

Aidas Black Sound-Red Heart Phono Cartridge

Here are the specs:

Aidas Red Heart Black Ruby LOMC cartridge
    Cantilever: Adament/Namiki Ruby
    Stylus:" Adamant/Namiki" micro-ridge
    Magnet system: AlNiCo
    Output: 0.28mV
    Coil impedance DC: 12 ohms
    Tracking force: 1.9-2.1g.
    Compliance lateral: 10 um/mN
    Cartridge weight: 9.20g.
    Recommended loading: 100 – 300 ohms
    Channel separation: >30dB/1kHz
    Channel balance: >1dB/1kHz
    Damping system: chiseled suspension on the damper and needle
    Coils: copper 0.02mm
    Mount: thread in wood M2.5x0.45, 1/2 inch / 12.7mm standard between the holes
    Recommended tonearm mass: medium
    Break-in period: 50 hours
    Advertised new retail: $3700
    Introductory promotion: $2500
    Manufacturer’s website: ViraHighEnd.com

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  16. p147

p147 Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to buy a Kiseki Purple Heart sapphire earlier this year, which had been stored for 20 years and unplayed and all I can add is that it is indeed a superb cartridge the best I have ever owned, where it excels is in the bass region which I found to be forward and precise particularly when playing jazz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.