Kiseki "PurpleHeart N. S. (New Style)" moving coil cartridge, beautiful looking and sounding.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Beautiful design... piece of musical art. Reminds me to my Koetsu cartridge.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Claus, the first time I saw a Kiseki cartridge, Koetsu was the first thought I had in my mind. Both makes of cartridges reek of elegance in styling and in sonics. Pure Japanese audio art.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

And they sound good too!

4. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Thanks again Steve for the great insight. Kiseki, what a piece of craftsmanship!

5. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Which Norman Blake album is that?

6. Steve Hoffman

David kindly gave me my own copy so I have it right here:

"Norman Blake/Tut Taylor/Sam Bush/Butch Robins/Vassar Clements" HDS 701, distributed by Flying Fish Records.

56GoldTop, McLover and GreatTone like this.
  7. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I wish I could hear that cartridge. I have heard at least one model of most of the premium brands of cartridges, but, I cannot recall listening to a Kiseki cartridge. I am envious.

8. Steve Hoffman

Come on over!

9. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Nice, thanks. Those Flying Fish, Rounder and Sugar Hill records generally have great sound. Tony Rice, Norman Blake, the Bluegrass Album Band, Skaggs and Rice...killer stuff. Plus the Rounder albums were pressed on translucent Quiex vinyl.

McLover likes this.
  10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It's interesting that Kisekis appeal to you, Steve, as they do that midrange perfectly - one of the characteristics of an SH mastering effort. Try and listen to some Stax Sigma Pro headphones - they have exactly the same characteristics - the only phones I've heard that do piano/vocals perfectly.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

If the midrange isn't right, nothing else matters. It's taken me many years to come to this conclusion and I shake my head as to what I considered acceptable playback sound when I was young. I wouldn't waste a second on anything that didn't do this crucial step correctly.

12. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I hope the Blue sounds as good as the PurpleHeart. Looks-wise, I'm slightly biased towards the look of the Blue (as one can probably surmise from my avatar). :hide: I almost didn't grab that Norman Blake LP when I saw it (ages ago), for some reason. Glad I did, anyway.

13. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Has anyone Compared the Grado Statement 1 to the Kiseki "PurpleHeart N. S.

Grado also has the wonderful mids, so a side by side would be very interesting.

14. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Steve, that statement is absolutely on point...100%, IMHO. It is so very interesting to see how few a'philes either a) agree with that statement and/or b) understand it. In the music world, it is taught that almost all music reproduction is to be found in the midrange. If you don't get that area right, you are doomed before you start. I have had numerous disagreements with other a'philes who simply do NOT accept this fact. Maybe you and I are the only two who do, LOL.:righton:

15. John Buchanan

J. Gordon Holt was a big proponent of getting the midrange right.

16. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I would go as far to say that IF an audio component can get the midrange right, probably all else will basically fall into place. One of the reasons that I love my Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage's so very much is that they get the mids so very right...better than just about any other speaker I have heard in over 40 years in this hobby.

McLover and Baron Von Talbot like this.
  17. John Buchanan

The Kiseki Blue was even more impressive in person - talk about precision machining.

56GoldTop likes this.
  18. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Thanks for the offer Steve, but LA is a bit out of the way. I could send you a pre-paid mailer so you could send it to me. If you were to compare its sound to other cartridges you have heard, which ones would you say is most similar to the Kiseki?

19. Steve Hoffman

It seems that even some equipment manufacturers do not understand this crucial point. A lot of gear I hear at shows is quite lacking in this area. I personally cannot understand it.

20. Steve Hoffman

He was the one who opened my eyes (and ears) in the first place. Reading his thoughts and talking to him back in the day (1992) really changed my home listening ideas tremendously.

21. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

That's another great point. I too have heard this at shows from various equipment manufacturer's. Makes one wonder if we all hear the midrange quality the same way??

22. Steve Hoffman

I doubt it. Certain manufacturers get it, (obviously the ones I like, Audio Note UK, etc.) but others do not or they don't care or they voice their gear for rich "audiophiles" who want bling instead of "real."

23. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The purple heart is without a doubt the most beautiful sounding cartridge I have ever owned. I really need to get my 25+ year old unit retipped one of these days.

24. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

"V equalization" is a pox on high fidelity, if not, humanity.

25. Steve Hoffman

Remember, getting your vertical tracking angle correct is crucial with this cart or else it will sound too thin....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.