KISS coming to the "End of the Road?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keefer1970, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

:wave: that's harsh lol!!!

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I just remember being in the audience at Madison Square Garden and everyone going nuts when they realized what they were playing. That was a great thing pre-internet; being surprised by a set list!

jackinbox, ACK!, Queezma and 3 others like this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Ya think! June 1996 MSG. Remember it well. The surprise of each next tune played.

MikaelaArsenault and Curveboy like this.
  4. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

He made up the margin by selling Paul’s dad a KISS Koffin.

5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Just look at the 2010 setlist - that is better in almost every way :(

6. warewolf95

Totally agree but I just dont think it works as good live for some reason. Not sure why I think that - it feels...not as powerful as it should be to me.

Also, why Never Enough was never played is boggling to me. It was a single and one of the best on Sonic Boom

D.B., 905, Who'sTommy and 2 others like this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

For me the shocker is Last Chance...you'd think that would be a great pre-encore tune.

8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Can he sing? :)

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Does Kiss still play Won't Get Fooled Again right before they go on?

10. futureinreverse

futureinreverse Forum Resident

I hate to be "that guy" who criticizes everything Kiss, but there's something really off about that photo. Paul's posing like he's with any anonymous fan that they herd into the room, in front of the stock meet and greet backdrop. That's your dad, Paul. I realize they don't have the most ideal relationship and this is probably the best they can do with everyone's busy schedule, etc., but for chrissakes, would it kill you to take off your makeup and have a normal photo taken with your father in a normal setting?

11. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Well, you just did..........:doh:

Ever think maybe his dad wanted it that way? Do we have to criticize everything they do?

D.B., 905, Tree of Life and 5 others like this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'd hope that there were some private snaps taken with more of a family feel!

warewolf95 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Looks like a cool picture to me. Like how dad has a Phantom of the Opera pin on his jacket.

D.B., 905, Tree of Life and 4 others like this.
  14. M321115

M321115 Forum Resident

Think he had to pay full price for the meet and greet?

15. futureinreverse

futureinreverse Forum Resident

If that's what Paul's father wanted, wonderful. I think he deserves better. Kinda like how people who pay for live performance deserve live performance.

I feel that things worthy of criticism deserve criticism. If you disagree, that's OK!

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It just desperately needed a lift. They tried to make "City Of Blinding Lights" fit the "Streets" slot, but it just isn't a popular enough song for it to have been effective, and it was following two new songs in a (normally) climactic moment in the set. I'm only going by the show here, maybe it worked better in other cities. Not every band has a song like that, but they definitely do (just like I couldn't imagine an E-Street show without "Born To Run"...any other big Bruce hit is expendable, but that one is a moment for the crowd, y'know?)

warewolf95, Queezma and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

I find Kiss are the most critized band i've ever read about, i think their great and put on one hell of a show

Curveboy, 905, Tree of Life and 4 others like this.
  18. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

You certainly are reading a lot into the one photo Paul shared - we have no idea what kind of time they had together. Plus he’s 98 years old (!) so I’m impressed he was there for the show at all - I’m a bit more than half that age and can barely stay awake past 9pm some days! :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    D.B., 905 and Todd W. like this.
  19. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Come on. THAT'S totally not worth criticizing! He's probably got a million photos of him with Paul, but that's probably the only one with Paul in makeup. Something to be treasuring, not damning.

D.B., 905, ejluther and 4 others like this.
  20. warewolf95

Restarting my live KISS collection after 7 or 8 years of not collecting thanks entirely to this thread making me want to hear live stuff :)

I discovered KISS in summer of 2009 and went ballistic on them for almost 3 years.

Sometime around the release of Monster (a little earlier in 2012, I'd guess) my initial obsession waned and I reached the saturation point.

Totally normal, and while I still followed news and stuff, I'd had my fill.

Of course I still listened on occasion and always loved them, I'd just found more things and moved onwards, ya know?

So because of that I stopped really collecting and following CLOSELY around the 2013 era. I know that because Monster came out and I absolutely lacked the enthusiasm for it that I had for Sonic Boom.

People talk about albums being part of their lives and I guess Sonic Boom was a big one for me. I caught them at the right time in their career, right as they were picking up steam again with the Alive 35 tour, and then they released Sonic Boom and I got to see them for the first time. So that period is big for me, personally.

Anywho, I've slowly gotten back into them deeper over the last 2 years or so and now I'm more excited than I have been in forever.

When this current tour was announced I treated it with ambivalance and shrugged shoulders. Got gifted tickets and I know I'm gonna have a blast. I guess it's slowly hitting me that I'm actually gonna get to see them for a 2nd time and maybe some childhood nostalgia is creeping into me as of late :p

Rebuilding my live collection is gonna be hard - many of the "places" I got the Instant Live recordings from contain dead links now - but I've started off with some 2014 recordings and the legendary Mr. Peach 1977 recordings.

Listening to 3/26/77 Kyoto right now. Fantastic.

All hail KISS!

Thanks for letting me waste your time. :p

D.B., 905, Tree of Life and 3 others like this.
  21. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

There's at least one more.

[​IMG]

22. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Paul with both parents, 40 years ago.

[​IMG]

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Paul's father was 58 in that photo, check out the hairline.

24. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Even better, they open up with RARAN, say "Goodnight" once it's done...and that's it.

theshape and ejluther like this.
  25. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I think that photo symbolizes their relationship perfectly. Big smiles when posed with their rock star son.

D.B. likes this.