KISS coming to the "End of the Road?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keefer1970, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Last saw them in 2010, and they were phenomenal, and Stanley's voice was still in great shape.......but it is time now to call it a day....has been for a while.

Even a Kiss tour featuring all past and present members wouldn't make me part with money to see them at this stage.........

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

As long as they are physically able to perform and people are willing to buy tickets, the band continues.

Honestly, it's not like the're fighting traffic and working for the man 60 hours a week. Getting out of the house for a few weeks a year to make 40 to 100K a night for playing three chord rock for 90 minutes is hardly a burden.

But.....Gene is swift enough that if he sees the day on the horizon that he isn't physically able to do the job, he would without question brand and market a farewell tour.

And...how are ticket sales these days? I saw tour dates that were all very small towns, like the state fair in North Dakota. If there isn't enough meat on the bone, I'd see them calling it quits. Again, market a farewell tour and get back in into some major market arenas one last time.

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I haven't seen them since before Ace and Peter were sacked the second time. I've heard Paul's voice is going.

I believe Peter said he's retired as he really can't drum anymore due to the problems from CTS.

4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I don't believe there's a market for a KISS 2.o because the diehards really don't want it. As much as these guys talk about need to appeal to 'the masses' with the setlist etc, it's really the diehards that keep them going. And those people do not want a KISS without Gene and Paul.

I also don't think Paul's ego could handle it. I mean, if a singer is good enough to get hired for this then he's going to be better than Paul currently is. He'd have to be. So there will be some young guy out there singing his songs better than he can...and he's going to be able to handle this? No way.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

ace was never sacked a 2nd time. his contract ran out after the farewell tour and he moved on himself believing that was the end

6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

'I don't want to be in a band - I want to be in a BRAND!'

7. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Paul's voice says yes, it is the end of the road.

8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I think that "Farewell Tour" thing with the Stones was brought on by the fans. I recall several Stones tours where the buzz seemed to be "This will be the last tour" because for a long time nobody thought a rock band would tour in their 50s...then their 60s...and 70s.;)

As far as Kiss is concerned, I really don't know. It would make sense to copywrite the phrase "Kiss-End Of The Road" for various products. Maybe it's just a look ahead to the day they will use it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

When I was nine years old in 1976, my parents picked up a French hitchiker who was on his way to the Stones Knebworth concert of that summer. He wanted to go because he believed it would be 'their last ever concert.'

10. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

The Stones NEVER announced ANY kind of farewell tour.

I wish people would at least attempt to check facts.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You’re right, of course, but I’d bet dollars to donuts they’ve bandied the idea about more than once.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Glad I got to see the original lineup front row at Carolina Coliseum.

13. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

'End of the Road' has been used before. Status Quo had a tour with that name (about 25 years before they did stop playing) and I'd be amazed if there haven't been others.

14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I can sing Paul's songs better than he can and believe me I can't sing worth a damn. Paul has been done as a singer/vocalist for 10 years now yet he keeps going out there, the lure of the $$$ is strong with this band. They won't get a nickel out of me whatever their master plan is.

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I haven’t seen KISS since 1985 and it was a bitter disappointment then. Even the 1979 show (my first concert ever), in reflection, was not up to par. I haven’t seen them in over 30 years and I’m not changing in this stance.

Vios con dios.

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's easy to make jokes, but I think this is legit. Paul has to know his voice is shot, and even Gene's admitted they can't do the kind of shows they do much longer with the costumes and whatnot. If they toured for two years on a (second) farewell tour, Paul would be 68 when it ended. Gene's been testing the waters a bit with some solo gigs, which makes me think he's contemplating a musical life after Kiss, or at least just seeing if he could front a gig on his own.

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

1985? Asylum tour? huge KISS sign and lots of colour? they weren't bad on that tour although I remember the show being kind of short and Eric's drum solo was a highlight, drums were thunderous. 1979 was pure Vegas KISS at that point, the die hards were jumping off the ship as fast as they could.

18. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

I saw their final tour years ago.
    Ace and Peter were in fine form but Gene couldn't stop yelling at Peter and throwing picks at him.

M321115 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Animalize tour. So 1984? They were terrible.

Dynasty tour was the first I saw them so it remains nostalgic, but, in truth, they were not good, looking back.

Zoot Marimba and Deuce66 like this.
  20. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Are these guys still on about having replacements play their part and it still being Kiss? It's called a tribute band guys.

21. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Yeah, they could do one final album "Zip It Up"

Just kidding, love them really, fun band.

22. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

You gotta admire this: the Ramones decided they would retire after 20 years recording and touring. They released a last record called ¡Adios Amigos! and did a world tour. Shows would end with an Adios Amigos banner upon the Ramones one. Then they called it quits and never came back. Then they died — at least the original ones.

coffeetime, 905, blehman and 4 others like this.
  23. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Do you remember how much of your show was Mark St John, since he almost never played a full show because of his hand thing.

24. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I think their deaths are the reason why they never reunited. I honestly think something would have gone on had they, or at least Johnny and Joey, lived.

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Kiss came to the end of the road a long time ago; someone forgot to tell Gene and Paul.