KISS coming to the "End of the Road?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keefer1970, Feb 19, 2018.

1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

:p-:nyah:-:p

Sorry, couldn' t resist...:cool:

Rhett and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I don't think so. Johnny pretty much retired, gave his guitar to someone in Soundgarden or Pearl Jam and never played again except for recording two songs with Lemmy and Slim Jim Phantom. He knew he couldn't keep playing like that after getting older.

Anyway the fact is that in his book Johnny says that it was when Joey died that he finally knew it was over and that there would definitely never be a reunion. That happened five years after the end of the band. This may support your thoughts.

3. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Kiss are an American institution.

4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

That's what I mean. While the issues between them is well documented, part of me wonders if Johnny or even Joey could have really lived without the group, not to mention that one or both would possibly need money at some point, and the Ramones, even with all the trouble they had having that hit or that gold or platinum record, would still be worth more than Joey or Johnny solo.

Maybe that's a bit of my cynicism towards farewell tours.

Matthew Tate and punkmusick like this.
  5. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Gene would never allow that to be said around him.

Matthew Tate and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. punkmusick

Makes sense.

But I have no cynicism about it. I saw that tour when they played in São Paulo. When that banner came down everyone there knew it was over. It was a very strong feeling. So sad. Me and my friends cried, then we left the venue, walked back to the bus and traveled back to our home town.

7. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I saw KISS once, I think it was the 1986 Asylum Tour? My father worked for Pepsi at the time and we used to get the box for free. This was the old Brendan Byrne Arena here in Jersey. I saw many shows there in a short time in the 80's and they all seemed to run into each other. I guess it was OK. I still have the 45 rpm of "Heaven's on Fire" from a couple years prior.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Zoot Marimba

I probably would have cried too, and I'm not usually a crier. Even if a reunion didn't happen, it would great if they could have been here to enjoy the Love and appreciation.

punkmusick likes this.
  9. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

oh yeah, its BAD now.
    Was never a fan of his voice anyway.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. punkmusick

Oh yes!

But the idolatry was huge in South America since the late 80's and they surely enjoyed that for many years. Marky and CJ still do, they're always playing here. Even Richie has been showing up.

I guess we're going off topic. When the Bollocks thread end you should start a Ramones one.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Malina, Jimmy B. and Zoot Marimba like this.
  11. Zoot Marimba

I've been wanting to do one for a while

Jimmy B. and punkmusick like this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

they retired because of joey ramones health issues right?

13. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Yes, but "Kiss-End Of The Road" probably not, and that can be copyrighted. Anything with "KISS" attached will plunge one into a legal pit of hell if you challenge it. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

The Kiss logo is a weaponized legal nightmare.

forthlin likes this.
  15. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

To state the obvious, Paul's voice did its Farewell Tour at least ten years ago. He's a complete disaster every single time he hits the stage now. You would think with a farewell tour they'd want to release a DVD/CD set but Paul literally cannot sing a single line of any song without sounding like he's drowning a burlap sack full of cats on fire. Hell his between song raps are off key and painful to hear. Like, actually painful, it sounds like he's hurting himself to 'emote'.

I hate to see the old guard go but Paul has been embarrassing himself for quite awhile now.

You be you Starchild, just don't ask me to listen to it!

16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

there are a few songs he sounds fine on. the verses of "i was made for loving you". the song" hide your heart". the band should do "hard luck woman" because he sounds fine on that too

17. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

That's going to be short concert!!!:D:D:D

18. punkmusick

That was one of the main reasons. Other is that Johnny was obsessed for quitting while he could still play 32 songs in 70 minutes all down strokes bare chords at full speed. He didn't want to disappoint fans by not being able to perform at that level. So he kept saving money and when he reached $1,000,000 it was time to retire.

19. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Indeed they are. All style and no substance.

Kundalini, atariguy39 and punkmusick like this.
  20. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Well then, you've missed the Reunion Tour, which was fabulous and no one is ever gonna tell me different. You missed the first farewell tour with the original band. I have seen them numerous times since and once with my kids which was special. The last time I saw them was 3 years ago with Def Leppard. I respect your opinion, as you know I do, but I have never been disappointed by a KISS show. Call me a fan boy, or whatever you want. They are one of my all time favorites and I wish they would end it with some type of dignity.

That being said, I would be extremely happy, as a long time fan, if they could either do a non make-up tour with an acoustic set or do a full blown full make-up set with everyone but Peter. Sorry, I just think that Eric is much better back there at this point. I would feel sorry for Tommy. But he is a big boy and has made plenty of money with KISS. I think it is time for them to end it on the road. If they want to do studio stuff, the market will dictate that.

21. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I don't know where else to post this...but when I got a speeding ticket recently, I had "Detroit Rock City" cranked up on the radio, swear to God. So I tried listening to KISS and that's what happened....

22. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Question is.........was the song worth it?..........:D

carlwm, Zoot Marimba and Socrates like this.
  23. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Send it to Paul. Maybe he'll pay it.

supernaut and Socrates like this.
  24. Raf

Raf Senior Member

How many farewell tours have they gone on by now?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Perhaps, yes. Was in the car, listening to the radio, heard the hammer-on, pull-off thing they do in the beginning of that song (for the guitar players, you know what I mean), maybe Paul Stanley had a twitchy finger or something, I don't know... But I just lost it, and suddenly I totally got KISS, cranked it up, put the pedal to the metal, then the blue lights appeared in the rearview mirror....

Soon after I had an epiphany that has changed my life - totally serious. So, I guess I have Gene Simmons to partially thank for my life changing realization. Thanks KISS.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    ODShowtime, Runicen and supernaut like this.