KISS coming to the "End of the Road?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keefer1970, Feb 19, 2018.

1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

If any band could replace all the members and carry on, it's Kiss, but I agree, neither Gene nor Paul would sit back in retirement and let other guys replace them. And they would not be able to step into the same league as the old Kiss - they'd be doing county fairs and stuff like that.

Matthew Tate and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

The end of the road for them has been announced so many times it's become a joke. KISS has become a joke. Gene Simmons is a joke.

NaturalD, Doggiedogma and Jimmy B. like this.
  3. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Don't pick on Gene.

4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Kiss are funny. And I mean that in a positive way.

Every time I think about them, I smile. Sometimes, I laugh out loud. And they're never funnier (for me) than when they appear to be taking themselves seriously.

Seriously, I find them funnier than any tv comedy programme ever devised. And I like most of the music, too. What's not to love about them? :)

5. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

It was the end of the road for Stanley's voice a long time ago!

6. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Where I'm from, KISS fans are usually the nice rednecks. They're just nice people, and they like all that stuff with the makeup and everything. KISS is a fun band. They have their place in rock history. They were all teachers, so they're smart guys. They know what they're doing.

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I know Gene was a teacher, but the others? I can't imagine Peter Criss in front of a class-room!

8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Definitely, they're like a good popcorn flick, and then you think of all the people who picked up a guitar because of them, you can't say they haven't done any good.

Dynamic Ranger, Socrates and Siegmund like this.
  9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

"Drugs are bad, mmmkay?" :laugh:

Matthew Tate and Siegmund like this.
  10. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

He said he thought there ought to be a mandatory age limit for bands, or band members (I'm not sure what age).

punkmusick likes this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

To my understanding, Mark St. John only played about two shows total before he was replaced by Bruce Kulick for the rest of the tour. I was under the impression that I was watching Mark, but it wasn't him.

12. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

You're probably right. I thought I had read years ago that they were all teachers. Or maybe Paul Stanley was a teacher as well? It's something like that. I can't remember exactly.

That's true, and they injected a lot of fun into rock 'n' roll. Too bad their wasn't more fun stuff like that going on with music these days. We could learn a lot from KISS!

Doggiedogma and Zoot Marimba like this.
  13. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Maybe its the name of the new line of Kiss Kaskets?

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Gene was a teacher before the band got big. He actually wrote a few early tunes when he was at work at school. Paul was an art student and Ace and Peter were just dudes.

15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

"Farewell Tour" means "Yeah, we're still here and we're doing okay tour" ("We're faring well")

16. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I literally reached the "end of the road" with KISS cranked up on the radio.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Zoot Marimba and GodShifter like this.
  17. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Yes. He thought rock and roll was not for old people. I disagree but who am I to question Johnny Ramone in anything rock and roll related?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Jimmy B. likes this.
  18. Terrapin Station

"That was the 'End of the Road' tour. This next one is our 'Now We're Making a Right Turn onto This New Road' tour."

Dynamic Ranger and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

One as far as I know. The first time with the original members. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall them calling anything a final tour but that one. Though, I'm getting older and my memory is faded.

supernaut, Matthew Tate and Socrates like this.
  20. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Can you name all of those times please? I remember one.........but as I said above, I could be wrong.

Everyone can hate on Gene as much as they want. He is an American success story. If you know the story of his mother, it is harrowing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Weren't Paul and Ace both taxi-drivers at some point, too?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

No I can't. I can't even think straight because of your avatar. Thanks.

Matthew Tate, Socrates and Todd W. like this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Ace was a delivery guy (furniture and mail). It's possible Paul was a taxi driver, but I have not heard that. Ace was also interested in being a graphic artist. He created the first KISS logo, but Paul has also taken credit for that. Paul is actually a pretty talented painter.

24. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Being Maryland guys, I can respect this.............:D

Madness likes this.
  25. Terrapin Station

Paul being a taxi driver was mentioned a number of times during the 70s I know . . . I sure as heck wouldn't be able to remember the exact source--it would have been articles in Circus, or Creem, or Hit Parader or something like that. I also can't recall if it was supposedly a quote from Paul or if it was just presented as a background fact.