KISS coming to the "End of the Road?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keefer1970, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Colour-Question

Colour-Question someone else

PDK and ejluther like this.
  2. Colour-Question

IMHO ... Ace is the only Band member who gives a **** to make this "Last Reunion Gigs" happen, not for the fans, or his bank-account, but for himself.

PDK, Doggiedogma and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

As much as I hate to say it, as big as a KISS fan as I am, this all might have everything to do with how sales are going at this point. To bring Ace back, would be huge. Though, most hard core KISS fans have probably already secured tickets. His name would probably bring in some of the fence sitters.

Queezma and ejluther like this.
  4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Does anyone think that KISS' show will be a bigger production than this?? I don't.

5. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

NOPE!

6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The legend of their stage show was always bigger than the show itself. I remember when I started watching bootlegs back in the '90s or whenever it was, I was struck by how it was basically just a band playing and other stuff happening intermittently. And I was sort of surprised at how little of the other stuff there actually was going on. Like, a couple songs and then the fire. A couple more and then the blood...etc. My memory from the '70s told me it was nonstop madness but it really wasn't.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, but it was way bigger than what almost anyone else did. Stage setups in the 70s were usually pretty primitive!

Doggiedogma, Zoot Marimba and Deuce66 like this.
  8. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

I always felt print (pics) made them look more impressive than video/live for similar reasons.

GodShifter, Queezma and Todd W. like this.
  9. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

That was one of the things the band said they had to take into consideration in 1996 when the original band reformed and the makeup went back on. They had to make things bigger and better than they ever were in the '70s, because the legend had been blown out of proportion due to hazy memories, trick photography, and word of mouth.

Queezma likes this.
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I remember the following being known for having "big" productions back in the 70's - Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Queen, Bowie, Alice Cooper and probably a few others like Yes, Genesis, Supertramp.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Agreed, the mystique and reputation was bigger than the reality, even by 1996 standards the 1977 show was small.

Queezma, Matthew Tate and intv7 like this.
  12. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I think a lot of kids grew up believing that the heavily doctored inner gatefold of Alive II was what a Kiss show typically looked like!

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

By 1977 standards, the clip you show was much, much more elaborate than what almost anyone else did.

The artists you mention may have had "big" shows as well, though I don't think most went as "all out" for the era as Kiss did.

Sure, by 1996, the game had changed radically, but in 1977, Kiss was top 1% of "big shows"...

14. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Why can't Ace just move on? He is sounding so desperate lately.

15. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Ace said he would do this "if the numbers were right". Do you honestly think he's more worried about the fans than his bank account?

16. I've recently read Paul's, Peter's, and Ace's books in tandem (and read Gene's years ago). Even if I barely believe anything they all write, one common thing for sure it that Ace was a ****up. And, he was given enough chances to be the guy Gene and Paul wanted. I can't blame them. Both he and Peter cried wolf too many times. A leopard can't change its spots.

17. Colour-Question

Sorry, i don`t know about Ace`s bank-account, you may ask him ... if he`s worried about.

PDK and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

What other band in '77 had a stage show that rivaled that?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

see post #1660, certainly KISS was doing their thing but they weren't the only arena/stadium band in the 70's

Queezma and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Yeah, so KISS was the only one, those other bands had theatrics but not a stage setup like KISS.

21. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I think a major part of the KISS show was simply the physical sign itself - the reaction it got when it came rising up during “I Want You” on the HITS tour was a real testament to its iconic power. I really hope it (and not just a digital version) is part of the EOTR tour...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I think Alice Cooper's theatrical performances set the standard at the time, but those now look pretty ropey - Radio City style dance routines and clunky stage effects. Kiss's stuff was no different.

ejluther and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Their show was awesome. Of course. But when I look at something like that "I Stole You Love " clip, to me what it mostly shows is a kickass band playing a great song.

People liked them because they rocked...or to put it in Paul-speak, the show was the sizzle but the music was the steak. :laugh:

24. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

KISS had dance routines and clunky stage effects? Alice was way more “Broadway” and stereotypically Theatrical (with a capital “T” on purpose) than KISS, but I’d say the latter’s effects were relatively smooth. If KISS had ever toured with The Elder I think then we would have seen a very Broadway-like KISS show, kind of like Styx’s “Kilroy Was Here” but, you know, worse.

M321115 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

They did have a sort of dance routine: when Ace would get down on his knees during the Black Diamond solo while Gene and Paul swayed in motion beside him. I think the idea was Sean Delaney's. It looks spontaneous but was heavily rehearsed.

From 03.33

Sandinista, Matthew Tate and ejluther like this.