KISS coming to the "End of the Road?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keefer1970, Feb 19, 2018.

1. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

A question for you; what's the difference with Ace now? Isn't he still sober or is it something else why you wouldn't see him now?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Well these are the top 25 trending tours on Pollstar so I guess you won't be seeing many shows this year? By the way, I am one of those sad guys who will be reliving my "glory years" by seeing KISS in March in Pittsburgh. Of course I saw them when I was 15 in 1976 and also saw the Farewell Tour. I don't remember it the way you do. But bands play differently at times during tours. Funny, my wife asked me about The Who of all shows. I was happily surprised. I guess I better check with her if it's her nostalgia or something else. Especially since they also have only two remaining members. The back of the arena seats are $70 and pretty good seats for $100. I would call that fairly standard in the marketplace these days.

Interesting that the only two on this list I have never seen is Idol and Big Head Todd. I was so nostalgic I went and saw Elton in September, Metallica in October, Steely Dan/Doobies in July, Blackberry Smoke in May and Robin Trower last April. So maybe it's sad or maybe these are the bands I grew up with and have always liked. I guess a different perspective on it.

1. Blue Oyster Cult
    2. Santana
    3. The Who
    4. Metallica]
    5. McCartney
    6. Stones
    7. KISS
    8. Billy Idol
    10. Elton John
    12. Dead and Company
    16. Jackson Browne
    19. Bob Seger
    20 Buddy Guy
    23. Big Head Todd
    24. Billy Joel

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

In recent years, he seems very erratic, old, and deaf. His recent albums are plodding and by the numbers. He doesn't seem overly interested in practicing and putting on a top notch show. Yes, he recently picked up Gene's band, but his backing bands have been pretty lame compared to the young bucks he was paired up with in 2008.

They are all old men, and they eventually fall off a cliff. Ace cleaned himself up 10 years ago and was very exciting, but it was never meant to last; he is just too damn old, did too much damage to his body and mind over the years, and he has always been easily bored with whatever he does, and then gets lazy. Peter was washed up long ago, Paul and Ace have nothing left to offer. Gene can still perform, but looks more like a sad clown at child's birthday party in the demon makeup and costume these days.

walrus, Purple, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  4. markaberrant

Yes, and the fanbase of all these tired old farts have truckloads of disposable income, and have led boring lives for the last 30-50 years, so they are happy to shell out the bucks to feel 16 years old again, and remind themselves that they were once happy and living in the moment.

Crungy and intv7 like this.
  5. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Generalize much?

6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

7. markaberrant

Do you have a better explanation why all these old farts are the top grossing concert acts in 2019?

8. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

intv7 and M321115 like this.
  9. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Sure beats being bitter, broke and living in the middle of nowhere.
    So what makes you happy, besides what you're doing here?

Todd W. likes this.
  11. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I am always wondering what the KISS haters want the rest of us fans to do exactly. Just agree and "join" them? Why? What do you haters want from me? Be hateful as well? If I dislike a restaurant, I don't try to start a movement. I just stop going. Go away. Leave us life long/current fans alone.

12. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Just to be clear those aren't shopped pictures. They are quite literally 40 year old pictures. 41 actually..they're Lynn Goldsmith pics from 1978

jumpinjulian, ejluther and intv7 like this.
  13. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Because they have a body of work that has connected with many people for a myriad of reasons. And while you may be right to some degree about some of the fans, making a blanket statement about what their lives are like in terms of being boring or happy/unhappy is not a determination you (or anyone) can fairly make. Besides, even if someone is going to a show to reconnect with something from their past, why is that only a negative?

But I’m also probably taking your assessment way more seriously than I should - it just reads as mean spirited towards anyone who might go to these shows for whatever reason.

Doggiedogma and Todd W. like this.
  14. markaberrant

I think a lot of people focus way too much on the past, and dont live in the present. Doesnt mean you cant have fond memories or enjoy older things, but man, these bands are just sad as a live performance in 2019, especially compared to all the great current artists out there.

As I always say though, nostalgia is one hell of a drug, and these old fart bands know how to take full advantage of that.

ejluther likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Paul Stanley turns 67 today.

[​IMG]

Todd W., coffeetime, Runicen and 5 others like this.
  16. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

17. AirJordanFan93

To his credit, he has aged the best by far out of the original 4.

18. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Looks like the teleprompter has the lyrics for Heaven's On Fire on it.

M321115, Doggiedogma, Deuce66 and 2 others like this.
  19. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Nice catch and undoubtedly correct! The KISS nerd in me knows “Shout Mercy” off Monster also has a “woo hoo” part but it would be insanity on my part to think they’re rehearsing that! Purely out of curiosity, any other KISS tunes that have a discernible and repeated “hoo”?

20. But, parts of his face are not old enough to drive.

ejluther, intv7 and Eiricd like this.
  21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

[​IMG]

For whatever reason Gene let this photo out after getting work done(Gene and wife Shannon did some episodes about it for Family Jewels). Paul's face/hairline has also been updated.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  22. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

It's humorous to me that that part needs to be displayed on a teleprompter. I get it but I find it funny all the same.

ejluther likes this.
  23. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

ejluther likes this.
  24. AirJordanFan93

I saw those episodes of Family Jewels. I think Paul first got work done in the early 90s.

25. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Would rather it be Tears are Falling.........

ejluther likes this.