KISS fans - Did you think Peter Criss' ability had skyrocketed upon hearing Dynasty & Unmasked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pudding Effect, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pudding Effect

Pudding Effect Forum Resident Thread Starter

As Anton Fig played on all but one of the tracks on Dynasty and all of Unmasked, aswell as Peter still being a credited member of the band for both albums, were you knocked out by Peter's seemingly drastic improvement in playing or did you sense there was deception behind the scenes?

This isn't a knock on Peter at all, I love what he brought to the band, but there's no denying that Anton was a more technically proficient player.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Northwind and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  2. Pudding Effect

3. Pudding Effect

bumpiddy buh bump

4. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

No, Peter's ability did not cross my mind. What I couldn't understand was why those two albums sucked so badly.

5. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

I've always felt these 2 albums feature the best drumming in the KISS Katalogue. Fig delivers smooth, interesting and highly proficient performances akin to the wave of westcoast/AOR recordings of the era. His nimble technique allowed KISS to break out of their genre straitjacket and pursue possibilities in disco, funk and power pop.

I wasn't born when these albums were released, but became a KISS fanatic for a few years as a young preteen/teen in the mid-90s before growing out of the band's rudimentary cock rock. I was always aware of Fig's work on Unmasked but have only recently been made aware that he performed most of Dynasty as well. While I've long lost interest in most KISS material, I still enjoy these two albums due to Vini Poncia's slick production, Paul Stanley's maturing songwriting chops and vocal delivery, the band's willingness to experiment and defy expectations, and especially Anton Fig's professional drum work.

carlwm, Rhett and hi_watt like this.
  6. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

This!

blueslover99 and yarbles like this.
  7. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Sorry you feel that way. They're both perfectly fine to my ears.

I only semi-recently (a little over a year ago) started getting into the KISS studio releases, so I was well aware that Anton Fig was the drummer. Shame/kind of funny about what happened when one of the KISS members said he was going to be the group's permanent drummer (I think Ace), only to be overturned the next day by Paul and Gene.

8. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Fig also did a nice job on Frehley's '78 release. That little drum solo in the middle of "Rip It Out is the type of sophisticated drumming never previously heard on a KISS release.

walrus and Lonesurf like this.
  9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

As a grade school Kiss fan at the time, I didn't notice.

10. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

Actually love Dynasty my 2nd favorite KISS album after Destroyer.

Northwind likes this.
  11. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

As a middle school Kiss fan at the time, I didn't notice.

Purple and hi_watt like this.
  12. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I just figured Peter thought "these songs SUCK...I'm gonna go do coke with some strippers at an orgy and then wreck my car, because I'm Peter Criss from KISS!"

Turns out, I was exactly right.

13. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

I honestly didn't notice, either at the time. I didn't hear Unmasked until after The Elder, though. I thought the drums on The Elder were pretty stellar, though.

14. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Eric Carr came on like a BEAST on the Oath!

15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

My thoughts exactly lol

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Carr was a great drummer

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  17. No, and neither did you before you knew.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

KISS fans - Did you think Peter Criss' ability had skyrocketed upon hearing Dynasty & Unmasked?

As a comic in all seriousness, I'm going to have to say I didn't notice.

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I say this as a big fan of Eric Carr, but if image/makeup/costumes hadn't been an issue, Anton would've made a fantastic drummer for Kiss.

20. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Nah, I am sure he moved on and was trying to suck it up as pride got the best of him in his last days as the Catman.

21. Ummm...yeah, this thread just ruined it for me, as I always thought it was Peter Criss drumming on both albums.

Thanks for destroying my goddamn childhood, people! :wtf:

22. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Unmasked was my first KISS album, so I guess I figured they were all like this. That said, Peter Criss is often unfairly maligned as a drummer. He was a fine choice for the early material.

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It never occurred to me. When those albums came out I was too young to tell it wasn't Peter playing.

24. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Peter was perfect for them. Anton is almost too good a drummer for their music.

905 and Pudding Effect like this.
  25. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I think Dynasty has lots of good songs on it. Some garbage, but ones I like I really like. 9 when the album came out and it never would have occurred to me that anyone but Criss was playing. By the time I found out, I didn't care- they did what they did to produce the best record they could.

I wonder if I was ten years older what I would have thought about the different drum sound. Might not have noticed it then either. Makes me wonder if Beach Boys fans thought Dennis Wilson got better at drums on Pet Sounds.

Jupitermadcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.