KISS fans - Did you think Peter Criss' ability had skyrocketed upon hearing Dynasty & Unmasked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pudding Effect, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will1066AD

Will1066AD Obey Your re-Master!

Anton Fig is my favourite KISS drummer after Peter Criss. Anton has an extensive jazz background and I believe he is a graduate from Juilliard so could have more than easily replicated Peter's style if necessary as well as offering KISS the scope to play anything. I have often wondered how KISS may have sounded in the 80's if he had permanently replace Peter.

The standout players from the solo albums were very obviously Anton from Ace's album and Bob Kulick from Paul's. One can only imagine what album in an alternative KISS universe could have been created in 1982 if Anton had replaced Peter and Bob had replaced Ace!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

In 1976 KISS was my 12 year old world. By 1979 I was on to cool music like Genesis but I was roped into babysitting my younger brother who wanted to go and see the Dynasty Tour. It was fun but I never bought or heard the album. Over the years though I have developed an affection for IWMFLY. Hot damn, I just last week picked up an old 80's CD of Dynasty and it's way better than I expected. There, I said it.

Northwind and carlwm like this.
  3. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Like most Kiss fans at the time all I noticed were that the albums were bad.

curbach likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Correction: the drummer's name is Anton ZIP!

5. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

He was probably - and sensibly paying a lot more attention to his new wife at the time. I ain't blaming him one bit.

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think they're mostly good except for Dynasty. Unmasked doesn't really sound like old Kiss, but has some good songs.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  7. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Sometimes I wonder why I listen to music at all...I wouldn't be able to tell to this day if it was Peter, Anton, Ringo or even Kieth Moon. You guys who can figure out who actually played the guitar solo, or that certain drum fill, absolutely astound me. If it sounds good I like it, if not then I don't. Either way Dynasty is a good album but Unmasked is even better.

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  8. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

I was 11-12 years old when these albums came out so I had no idea about the change. Peter was on the covers and in the credits so I just assumed he did all the drumming. Saying that, I'm a big fan of both albums. Actually the run of Dynasty-Unmasked-Elder is one of my favorite KISS eras.

Yep, would Dave lie about that? ;)

Northwind, Oatsdad and carlwm like this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Only thing I noticed was the whole band sucked at being actors in KISS meets the Phantom.....

10. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Well, I can certainly say this; when I bought Psycho Circus I was a new fan, and in the cd era I had very little kiss music.
    I was aware of the criticism regarding Peter’s ability to play. But when I put on Psycho Circus I thought “what are people complaining about? He plays great!” :) :)

Marble Index likes this.
  11. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

There is that outtake from Dynasty with Peter on drums...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.