KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Ace admitted to copying the solo from Five to One, and noted that Pearl Jam did the same on Alive

William Smart and npgchris like this.
  2. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

That sounds cool! I mean it's! If Tiffany did a lamp in stained glass or any other medium I'd be in for that. Silver base ( uh this is the delux model) stained glass. Maybe 12 - 14 inch base.
    Super delux gold plated silver base.
    2,850, both models come with signed picture vinyl. & or tickets front row for concert of your choice.
    Then a brushed Stainless Steel one comes with signed disc. 1300
    Brushed brass with disc 875
    OK Smart A** don't give Gene any ideas

3. William Smart

Love Her All I Can : I love Ace in this period. He may be copying the Wicked Lester version but only to a degree. Ace plays it with such attitude and swag you have to take notice. Pete is one of those few Drummers / Percussionists that knows when and how to add that little something to make his part a lil' bit mo'tasty, thank you very much. That cow bell just, it's like you got a plate of Fried Chicken, Black Eyed Peas & Rice, Collard Greens. You know and the only thing you need is a fork and the hot sauce. That's what that cow bell is to me. The Hot Sauce! I'm sorry you're all sitting there now scratching your head wondering aloud " f'ing Smart's finally lost it! that tiny teeny bit of reality just slipped through his fingers. That's OK guys I'll be OK.........
    Really dig, really really dig the bass too. I said it b4 this is KISS at the raw fooking hight of it all. Hungry and out to prove to the mortals they were a force to be reckoned with. So far this album is all freaking keepers. Tasty, the girl she said it's so tasty, can I please.... have some more? Yeah great freakin'song!
    Just in time.... Nurseypooo is here with the med-cart.

Let's reinvent all the gods, all the myths of the ages!
    Celebrate symbols from deep Elder forrests!
    Have you forgotten the lessons of the ancient war?
    When the Kings murderers are allowed to roam free!
    A Thousand Magicians will arise in the land!
    JM

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Cheevyjames, GodShifter and npgchris like this.
  4. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Excuse me, was this the table that requested the fork and the hot sauce? ;)

(Don't worry, I got your food/music analogy!) :righton:

And since it's "Love Her All I Can" we're talking about, don't forget the mac & cheese and sweet potato pie while you're at it!

William Smart and GodShifter like this.
  5. William Smart

So it's the day before Thanksgiving and my wife and I are at the market. I'm looking over the pies and what do they have? Fresh and a little bit warm still Apple, Peach, Pecan........Sweet Potato Pie! OMG " Jo-Ann they got Sweet Potato Pie !"
    Yes dear that's nice.
    You don't understand JoJo it's Real Sweet Potato Pie.
    Yankee never heard of it. She bought a beautiful Apple Crumb Pie... I keep seeing that Sweet Potato Pie. Lol it's hard to find that in Connecticut. To her it was just something that looked like Pumpkin Pie. She freaking hates Pumpkin Pie...... what a guy to do........ Lol pax amore

npgchris likes this.
  6. William Smart

Rock & Roll All Night : And Party Every Day! OK I know this is sacrilegious but I can't stand to hear this song. Besides it being almost the only song ever played on area radio, I also was in a couple bands that covered it. I'm just sick to death of it. It's an OK song, but that's about the best I can say for it, but if I never hear it again....... Well you can't love Every one can ya?!

GodShifter and npgchris like this.
  7. SickThing

SickThing Forum Resident

The best KISS show I ever attended (a bunch of shows from 1977 through 1995, plus a few more) was the Gibson Guitars 100th Anniversary concert in Nashville on July 30, 1994. KISS and Fleetwood Mac (!) headlined. KISS wasn't touring. This was one of three one-off shows they did in 1994, and it was without a doubt the best KISS show I ever saw. No fancy stage, just KISS playing better than ever.

Making the night even better: they ran up against a noise ordinance curfew, and they didn't play "Rock And Roll All Nite"! It was glorious. The show ended with "Heaven's On Fire."

KISS -- July 30, 1994

Hunter

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

What do you do?

You say, “I’m a lucky guy, I hardly ever cry” and put that that sweet potato pie in the cart!

9. William Smart

I would have ate the whole thing! I need to lose 15 pounds not gain 20 LMAO I ate almost the whole apple pie as it was. It was huge! I was in pie heaven. See I love pie, any pie. It's my kryptonite! I can pass cookies by, candy, ice cream...... but pie, two in the house would have broke me. Three and I'm in pie heaven. Damn! I should have gotten that Sweet Potato Pie...... See that, even talkin' 'bout it I'm breaking down.... Must have pie... Must have pie.... Even chicken pot pie! I'm ok, I'm ok, it's passed honest...... now where's that fork I just had........ :D "I'm a lucky guy I got my apple pie.... " sweet potato pie ruins the meter...... Pax brother, Iam

npgchris and GodShifter like this.
  10. William Smart

Detroit Rock City : Ok Destroyer! The album that followed KISS ALIVE the Greatest Live Album in Rock History.

DRC! Wow what a great Fooking opening track! Genes bass is just badass. I love that it's out there where you can really hear it. In fact this is ( For Me) their best mixed, best produced album ever. Peter is just cooking away. Dropping little frills in like the little double splash " I get in late just can't wait" crash crash...... He does that at a few points. Or right before and through Ace's solo he's just in the Grove. And Ace's solo? One of my favorites of all time. Melodic, kind of melancholy, and just unforgettable that's what you are unforgettable... uh wrong song. That double lead with Paul is sublime. Love this song to death.

I seen this tour at least 5 times. Maybe closer to a dozen. We went to every KISS concert in NYC, CT, Mass., RI. And it was great. It was a party. That's another story though.

We wanted to cover this song so we tried out a few guitarists. They didn't workout.
    Never got to play this live.

Peace brothers

superstar19 and npgchris like this.
  11. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Since you saw this tour so many times, you must have experienced a few different stage set-ups. Do you have any recall about those kinds of details?

Early on they had an unusual stage set with faux rocks, a "castle" from which Gene would spit blood, etc. I believe there were different iterations of this stage, until at some point it was abandoned.

[​IMG]

I'm guessing you saw at least a couple of different versions of this stage during that tour. Any memories? I believe toward the end of the tour the stage had changed to the streamlined one that was used on the Rock And Roll Over tour.

EDIT: Just found this on YouTube. It's a 3D rendering of what the stage looked like at one point:

PJayBe, William Smart and bartels76 like this.
  12. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Destroyer stage set was so cool. Too bad it was used for just a short while. They had a lot of issues with the stage effects so none of it carried over to the RARO or LG stage sets.

npgchris and William Smart like this.
  13. William Smart

For some reason a I can recall are the stairs. And a lift that lowered them, god's I'm trying to visualize the stage from that time. It's hurting my head! LMAO. I wish I kept a log back then. So much has and is slipping into darkness.... I will try to remember it better. I really don't remember rocks though. Watch if I find my photos from back then the stages will all have rocks. No lifts or stairs.

npgchris likes this.
  14. William Smart

Oh Chris now I am worried for you. And I'm so sorry. If you understand me you could be going insane too. I do that to people. Make them crazy that is. But not to worry this thread comes complete with professional help for just such emergencies. :goodie::pineapple::bdance:oh boy guys we got another crazy to join our party........

npgchris likes this.
  15. William Smart

King Of The Night Time World : Hel yeah I'll have some of that please! Peter sounds great! Love that snare. It's just out there. Genes bass is a bit buried but if you listen he's play really well. Like it a lot. The groovy part is Ace & Paul. Like two puzzle pieces their guitars fit together and compliment each other very nicely.
    I will be nice and say nothing about the headlight Queen, or what it is she's been doing to receive her crown. Hmmmmmmm

npgchris likes this.
  16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Are those song lyrics?

William Smart likes this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Yes, I believe they're from "Love Her All I Can" (except the sweet potato pie part :))

18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

There should be a song about sweet potato pie like that!

William Smart and GodShifter like this.
  19. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Robert Cray has a pretty good album by the name of Sweet Potato Pie, but alas, no title track! :shake:

This is what the actual CD looked like:

[​IMG]

20. William Smart

Looks good enough to eat! (that's what she said) stop it Smart.....

BluesOvertookMe and npgchris like this.
  21. William Smart

God Of Thunder : Demon's Theme! Ok so Paul wrote it, but Gene fooking OWNS it! No one who has heard this,especially from that era, could ever associate this song with anyone or anything? else but Gene! Heavy production, but it all works. Peters drums got a sound that just resonates. Not sure how they got it but I like it. (ok ty @GodShifter ,I went back & read your write up. Groovy, should've done that first.) Ace's solo as always is just freaking awesome, fits perfectly. This song hit the spot with me first time I heard it at 22, still Love it. This album got blasted from my van stereo through Universal cabinets all summer long. Actually it was a mainstay for a long time
    I seem to remember St Pauli Girls dark & KISS going quite well together. Yes indeed very well!

npgchris likes this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

One of the highlights of the 1996 reunion.

William Smart and Lonesurf like this.
  23. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Scorching 1996 version of Shock Me at MSG.

24. William Smart

You've Got Great Expectations: Such an over the top tune. Super Heavy production. Kids Choir. Orchestra. Is this KISS? Bet your ever loving bippy it is! Love it for all those reasons, but also because it shows a side of Gene not seen too often. Yeah the words "sound" like typical Gene, but the music, the mood says different. It's almost as if the line has an unsaid ending "You've got great expectations"..... but we are only human! Yeah you see us up on this stage, playing singing and you want more of us... every last drop of blood sweat & tears, every last note we can play or sing and then you want more.... you've got great expectations but we're still only human.
    It comes off a little sad, a little melancholy and not so bombastic. I love it for showing they're human.... And still gave us a lot to dig on. Peace

PS love the Tubular Bells. Almost added them to my kit. Hey it was the 70s everything was over the top. Anybody wanna buy a sequined jump suit & matching 4 inch platform shoes? LMFAO

npgchris and GodShifter like this.