KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Paul has way too much pride and way too big an ego to ever admit that publically.

Funninly enough they gave Peter the MVP award for that tour. Sadly once he got way into the drugs when they hit the big time his skills as a drummer suffered big time because of it. While he was never in the Bonham/Peart class I think up until aroun 1976 he was very good and the perfect fit for what KISS was at that point.

johnny q likes this.
  2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

He did it again

@ about 5:20

3. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

WTF is going on with him/them?

johnny q likes this.
  4. vamborules

I don't know. It seems kind of gratuitous. And likely to cause him more trouble than it's worth for a quick laugh.

Zoot Marimba and ejluther like this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

You’re not wrong but I have a hard time really sympathizing with Paul considering that he’s always so quick to take shots at others’ ability.

Marble Index and johnny q like this.
  6. vamborules

Yeah I don't really sympathize with Paul either but it just seems weird to say it onstage in front of what is basically their audience. I mean who else would go to that show but KISS fans?

Zoot Marimba and ejluther like this.
  7. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I know, right? Are they supposed to laugh? Cheer? Boo? It’s just an odd thing for him to say as they supposedly gear up for the “end of the road”...

vamborules and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Maybe Paul has finally said (in private to Gene) that he wants to call it quits because of his vocal issues. It's not a stretch to imagine that annoying Gene.

10. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I have always figured Gene would be willing to stop before Paul would be. If the KISS 2.0 thing is going to happen I would think at least one of them would still be involved to some degree to oversee the transition and I feel like that would be Paul since from all interviews the last few years indicate he is pretty much running the ship and pressumably has been for a long time now probably since the reunion died out in 2001.

11. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Paul's been running the ship since Gene was trying to be an actor during Animalize.

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

It's painful to watch but at least it's good to see Paul performing this tune 2018.

13. It goes to show that you can’t buy Class.

C’mon, Gene. You’re better than that.

14. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Gene wouldn't buy Class. He would try to buy the copyright on it though.

15. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

An aside; I was amazed this thread hit over 1000 pages but the thread for the new McCartney album is also over 1000 pages. It's almost as long as this one and it's about an album that hasn't even been released yet!

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Unworldly mind boggling.

johnny q likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's painful alright - the spoken word version, terrible.

18. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

That thread is now longer than this one and the album isn't out til this Friday.

19. vamborules

That thread predates this one by about a year though. They've been talking about that yet to be released album for over two and a half years.

GodShifter likes this.
  20. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

It was only at 34 pages when this one started. I'm amazed because we talked about something like 30 albums and each song separately and that thread they've talked about a few songs at most.

21. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

Totally agree with this. There are a few songs on the final(?) two albums that I enjoy but I really notice the autotune in places and it takes me out of the moment. Have you listened to the 'Kiss Klassics' album? It's even worse there!

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

23. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Yeah but we are going to the last tour right?

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Will try

William Smart likes this.
  25. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

SO. I've really been enjoying reading this thread retrospectively. Would have been fun to join in as it developed but them's the breaks!
    Anyway. I've been listening to a lot of KISS recently as a result and thought I'd have a go at deciding on my opinions of the albums as a whole. I've been a fan since 1983 and but have tailed off somewhat since 2000. I've listened to the last two albums a few times as well as Carnival of Souls snd have had the whole catalogue on shuffle in my car for weeks. `It's been interesting to see which tracks from the 80s still do it for me and which others have caught my ear.

So, I've been through each studio album today (plus Killers and Side 4 of Alive II) and scored each track out of ten based on my gut feeling and listening to snippets to remind me. I then put all the scores in a spreadsheet, organised by album to get an average score for each album. By my ranking a 10 is a 10 for KISS so a Deuce or a Detroit Rock City.
    So, here is the list!

Kiss 8.6
    Destroyer 8.4
    Creatures of the Night 8
    Dynasty 7.9
    Ace Frehley 7.8
    Music From: The Elder 7.8
    Dressed To Kill 7.7
    Love Gun 7.7
    Hotter Than Hell 7.6
    Rock and Roll Over 7.5
    Paul Stanley 7.5
    Unmasked 7.4
    Killers new tracks 7.4
    Gene Simmons 7.3
    Lick It Up 7.3
    Alive II studio tracks 7.2
    Revenge 7.2
    Crazy Nights 7
    Hot In The Shade 7
    Animalize 6.9
    Asylum 6.8
    Carnival of Souls: The Final Sessions 6.7
    Psycho Circus 6.4
    Peter Criss 6.1
    Monster 6
    Sonic Boom 4.5

Interesting how consistently the albums all pan out. I guess it's why I've stuck with them for so long and listened to them so may times...
    I can post the scores for each song if anyone is interested!