KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. SpaceAce716

SpaceAce716 A Little Below The Angels

Pretty good is not what I'd call that cover. This song really depends on the solo part in the middle and if you can't provide something of interest in that part, you probably shouldn't be covering it. Also thought that a drummer as good as Dave Grohl would put more effort into the drums on that.

Made me enjoy the Ace version more when I listened to it second though.

2. SpaceAce716

Bending a note one string down and then hitting the next note above it and repeating is a sort of classic blues-rock guitar cliche. That's most of the first half of the solo.

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Sorry but that isn't what Chuck Berry had that made him unique. I don't know what you mean by that description. Bending a note one sting down? What does that mean. Forget it.....you are not a guitar player.

4. SpaceAce716

This song is kinda cool in how it sounds and the change of time for the chorus, which is (for the most part unless Bob Ezrin is involved) unusual for KISS. Nothing too creative about the solo, but it's kind of a bridge to the return of the verse. Graded down slightly for lyrical stupidity, but that's par for the course with most Ace songs.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Rose River Bear

Like I should listen to your opinion regarding Ace's playing and songs. See my reviews for Ace's songs on the Kiss thread. Tear them apart.....go ahead.

6. Rose River Bear

A bridge to the return of the verse? What does that mean? I have never heard a solo described like that. Makes no sense.

7. SpaceAce716

I love when you guys find songs that sound like the song we're discussing. This song really does sound like something that Ace was aware of when writing this song.

8. SpaceAce716

Is there some reason you're going out of your way to be confrontational with my opinion? I can easily accommodate you if you like, but I don't think of this thread as one where people should be tearing each other down.

9. Rose River Bear

Quit while you are ahead. You are going to look silly. So you think Bob Ezrin was the mastermind behind the rhythmic shift in the post chorus section? What leads you to that conclusion?

10. Rose River Bear

No not confrontational. I just know when someone tries to BS others with faux technical knowledge of a musicians style and musical basis to counter their opinion regarding the "quality" of their performances or songs.
    Say you like it or you don't.....that is all you are qualified to say.

11. Rose River Bear

Go ahead and "accommodate" me. It would be interesting. Let's have a debate over the technical aspects of Ace's songs and his guitar playing that I laid out in the thread. Heck, it would be the most interesting diversion I had on this forum in quite a while.

12. I’m guessing here, but Poncia’s production did sound really crisp and clean, so he had that going for him. More importantly,he really worked the vocals and harmonies that were popular at the time. The vocal production and arrangements are my favorite part about the ‘pop’ era KISS. He was a good fit for (what I’m guessing) they were looking to accomplish.

13. SpaceAce716

I'll probably just ask Carl Vinson to start replying to all your most recent posts.

For what it's worth, I'm not trying to impress anybody with my technical knowledge. I have played some guitar. I have played some drums. Neither at a high level. In a forum filled with high-level professional musicians, I understand I'm just a guy with an opinion. If you think I'm trying to pass myself off as something more than that, then that's your problem.

Think I'll take a little vacation from this thread.

superstar19 likes this.
  14. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

EXACTLY my experience.

I think you may have caught Paul on better days than I did (Or maybe he just liked you better)

But I would venture a guess that most people's experience matches ours.

Except maybe when a camera is on, then Paul gets more friendly and Gene goes into "*******" mode.

William Smart and Who'sTommy like this.
  15. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Paul's book is really a textbook for insecure narcissism.

He takes responsibility for EVERYTHING good that happens and deflects EVERYTHING that goes wrong onto someone else...usually Gene...Or Peter....or his parents...ect. ect.

It's quite unbelievable in parts. He spends a lot of the book moaning about how he doesn't have any friends. Then he'll get to a part where something big happens in his life, like when he finally has surgery on his disfigured ear. He mentions that Gene was suffering from an intense fear of flying at the time, but flew out to be with him when he had the surgery. Or when he gets divorced and is functionally "Homeless" Gene invites him to move into his guest house, Paul mentions how nice it was being around Gene's family and how well they treated him. Or when Paul came down on Gene during "Crazy Nights" for not pulling his weight (Rightfully so) And Gene apologizes by handing him a Jaguar brochure and saying "Pick one" Then Paul decides he wants a Porche instead so Gene buys him one.

But Paul just doesn't see it, he's BLIND...he'll tell one of those stories and the next chapter he's describing in glee about how he calls up Gene to tell him "You're not invited to my wedding"

There were parts of that book where I actually really felt badly for Gene...Paul is a bit of an *******.

16. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Narcissism is a result of massive insecurity. Paul, Gene even Donald Trump are all massively insecure but they won't let themselves consciously know it. That's the kicker. It doesn't mean they don't have good qualities but if they feel the slightest bit threatened, they protect themselves this way.

Diamond Star Halo and Curveboy like this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Who's Carl Vinson?

Dude, don't stop posting your thoughts. They're interesting.

As to my comment about Peter, you are absolutely right, but I wrote that like 2 or 3 years ago. I think my opinion has changed a bit since then. You're right: if you're not happy in a situation and feel like you've done all you can do, you should bail. Unfortunately for Peter, he didn't manage his finances very well.

18. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Lots more people would like Gene if he dropped the attitude and showed his real personality.

19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I get what he's saying...it's less of a solo (or lead to be precise) than something to "bridge" the gap between the mid chorus and the return of the verse.

:wiggle:

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

too late for that, he's been playing the arrogant rock star role for 45 years.....

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Obviously, if you feel the need to take a break, then that's fab, but speaking for myself, I've been enjoying your thoughts & opinions.

Agreed with some, disagreed with others, found them all interesting. Which is as it should be! :righton:

22. Rose River Bear

It appears this was all my mistake. What I thought was a dig (for no reason) at me in one of your responses, was not a dig at all. I misread your post. All I can do is apologize. I should be the one to take a vacation from the thread. :hide:

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Never!

24. Rose River Bear

Thanks but I really screwed up. I hope he can let me slide for the mistake.

25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

You've helped make this a fascinating thread. No need for anyone to stop posting, I reckon.