KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Conestoga Rankin

Conestoga Rankin A man, no worse than any man

I like Eric Singer when he played like Eric Singer in the 90s. I don't care for his Peter Criss impersonation, really.

Deuce66 likes this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I have.

A while ago - possibly you - pointed me in the direction of Rockology, which is a fine album. I prefer both songs you mention to Little Caesar.

rebetis and Conestoga Rankin like this.
  3. Conestoga Rankin

Paul's voice massively improved in the 80s. More range, better tone, more control.

4. Conestoga Rankin

They should have cut Boomerang and possibly Street Giveth or Prisoner of Love and put the 2 Eric songs there.

superstar19 and carlwm like this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Boomerang certainly felt out of place although it did point the way towards Revenge.

Conestoga Rankin likes this.
  6. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The song was good...the body better :love:

Conestoga Rankin and ejluther like this.
  8. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I just hate Paul on that album. Toby Wright says they came to him and said they wanted him to help them make an Alice In Chains album. Paul was never going to sound good in that framework and every word he sings on the album (outside of I Will Be There) sounds horribly forced and disingenuous.

Writers and singers can put themselves in shoes they don't necessarily wear and make it work. Paul fails miserably to convince me of anything on Carnival of Souls.

Which is weird because with his first book he proved himself to be one of the most troubled people around while trying to convince us (or himself??) that he's really grounded and happy. A person as off kilter as Paul should be able to get inside of dark emotions and sell them but nope, not in this case.

9. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Dude’s been pumping iron, I’ll give him that much.

ejluther likes this.
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Paul is a mixed bag of results on this album. Who knows maybe the lyrics on COS are more personal and much closer to his true self as opposed to insipid stuff like Take it Off, X in Sex etc...

Rain - miss, although the vocal performance is really strong
    Master & Slave - great song very KISS like, theme is universal
    I Will Be There - excellent ballad, heartfelt
    Jungle - another great song
    It Never Goes Away - far too dark/heavy for Paul although he gives it all he's got, if KISS goes doom metal Gene is the only one who can pull it off
    In the Mirror - not bad, sounds a little unfinished

11. SizzleVonSizzleton

I can only barely remember the Paul songs on Carnival of Souls and I have desire to revisit them. I don't own the album. CoS would have been better if Gene had sung everything. Bruce's song is better than every Paul song on this album.

12. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree - as @Deuce66 pointed out “Jungle”, “I Will Be There”, and “Master and Slave” are all noteworthy KISS/Paul songs IMO...

rebetis, Curveboy, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  13. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Cool, but I was hoping to hear original material.

14. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

From Soul Station? I thought they did all covers?

I’m sure any day now Paul will come out and praise the ‘78 Peter Criss solo album since he’s now, you know, basically putting out material cut from much of the same cloth. At least there were original songs on Peter’s album. The reading library is now closed...:shh:

15. Conestoga Rankin

Most of Revenge was good, and Boomerang was bad, though. They both were metallic, though, although Boomerang wasn't really melodic like Revenge.
    And now, for a corny joke

Q: What did I tell my brother when my dad called?
    A: Boomer rang.

carlwm likes this.
  16. Conestoga Rankin

I love it. I'd much rather hear, "hope, a candle burning bright, a temporary light, 'til we return to night" than "you make me rock hard, baby all night!". Don't get me wrong, 80s KISS is great and fun, but the lyrics are Dumber Than Hell.

Why is RAIN a miss?

17. SizzleVonSizzleton

KISS is a better Bon Jovi than an Alice In Chains.

But they're a better KISS than anybody.

18. I've always loved Paul Stanley's voice. I saw him as the phantom in Toronto many years ago. He probably wasn't technically the perfect phantom, but he played himself in deference to the character. I loved the way he screamed during the show.

William Smart and ejluther like this.
  19. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

You know, I have a theory. I think that it was Ace that was supposed to die, and Bob Kulick is just subbing for Ace until the latter can be bothered to show up in the afterlife.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  20. If you're suggesting that anybody other than Ace should have been the band's guitarist, you're deluding yourself.

21. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I've been watching various Kiss videos from the pre-Destroyer era and man, do I love those guys in those days.

I love all their 70's output, but from '73 -> early '76-ish that period is KISS for me. They were never more dangerous, loud, smelly, heavy, raw, hungry, intense, brutal, and they just rocked live. You get the feeling that they've finally been let off the leash. There was still magic, unity of purpose, and harmony within the band at that time and it shows.

22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Corny's the word! :D

I don't much like Boomerang either. Happily it's the last track on HITS so it's easily avoided.

I have a different view on Revenge though. It's the one KISS album I actively dislike. I don't get anything from it at all. Glad you like it though. :righton:

Conestoga Rankin likes this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I just listened to it for the first time in a while, it's not so bad, a very heavy Alice in Chains type vibe, Paul sings his *** off. It's very odd to hear Paul deliver a lyric like "I can't stand myself anymore" otherwise it's ok.

GodShifter and Conestoga Rankin like this.
  24. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I’m quite sure it’s a joke as Bob ghosted for Ace several times and always thought he should’ve been in the band.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I’d just like to thank myself for finishing this motha. It wasn’t easy, but I did it (with some help from @Zoot Marimba), but I did it. Yea, me! (victory lap). Wooo!