KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Thank you!

William Smart likes this.
  2. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Nice!

Nobody meets Vinny Vincent without some good story to tell!

3. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

(Sigh).....Ok man, I wasn't trying to argue with you, or disrespect Ringo. Just relating my experience.

I'm tapping out. You win.

4. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Wow, cool story! I remember Slipped Disc Records. Only had a chance to briefly browse the aisles once. I totally get the loss'fer words.

5. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Well, remember they actually DID a bunch of ""Re-records"....with....I think it was "Sonic Boom"

That was so they could licence the songs to TV/film and take home all the money themselves. Like what they did with "Smashes n' Thrashes" (Although a lot of people here STILL don't believe those tracks are totally "re-records" and that I am full of it.....fine.)

Nothing wrong with that. It's actually quite smart. "Crazy Crazy Nights" was one of the songs they "Re-recorded".....It was.....Better?.....You know what, I need to listen to that version again.

I think it was a bit better....but not as good as it could have been.....but I'll go check it out......

William Smart and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Can't seem to find "Crazy Crazy nights"

But here's a re-record of "Forever".......a song I never gave sh!t about.........but I actually think this version is VAST improvement.

Probably due to the fact that KISS was religiously "All analog" by this point....it just sounds more "direct" and "exciting"

.......which is to say.....it doesn't sound DIGITAL!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

OOPS!

Haha!......Yeah, maybe posting the actual song might help.

Sorry.....getting old.

8. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HApwx_mGF98

Wow.......Gene could NEVER get away with "Christeen Sixteen" today.......simpler time.

....more FUN time!

P.S Paul voice was SHREDDED in the 80's.....you can hear he's barley hanging on now.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

They didn’t re-record Crazy Nights.

Thayer couldn’t do a soundalike guitar solo of that for a million dollars. The only Kulick era song they did was Forever. And Paul sounds so autotuned on that he sounds like Cher on Believe.

Matthew Tate and fretter like this.
  10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

(sigh)

Hot In The Shade is an analog album, recorded in a cheap LA studio. Right there on the CD is says A-A-D.

(sigh)

Because the songs on Smashes were not re-recorded; and if you actually took a second to compare one of them with the original you can clearly hear it is a REMIX.

11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

How stubborn of us. :laugh:

12. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Well.............YES!.........You guys ARE being stubborn about that!

Anthrax likes this.
  13. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Let's just leave the "Smashes n' Thrashes" argument alone for a while........(But please go back and listen....you'll see that they are CLEARLY re-records.)

...."H.I.T.S"........Hmmm....I don't know for a fact it was digital, that is true.....but my gut tells me it was.

That version of 'Forever' IS CLEARLY superior......I Think we can agree on that.

14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

"They've almost tried to bury me and Ace as if we never existed. You can see that a little by the release of the new compilation album and the remixed versions of songs like 'Strutter' and 'Detroit Rock City.' It's really ridiculous, it's sad... Gene called me about that record but he didn't tell me they were gonna redo 'Beth' with Eric on vocals. I mean, I have nothing against Eric at all, I don't really know him that well, but I thought that if they planned on doing a Greatest Hits record they were going to give the fans the hits, the originals" (Peter Criss, Kerrang #226)

15. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

I could SWEAR they did "Crazy Crazy nights" on the "Sonic Boom" re-records........either that, or senile dementia has finally set in.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Peter didn't know the difference between a "re-mix" and a "re-record" so I don't take his word was was being done production-wise during that period. Except to say that there IS a royalty stream provided for lead vocalists. (I collect it myself.) By replacing his vocal, they were now in control of that revenue stream.

I'll also say that by the time Eric died, he and Peter were actually really good friends.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

They butchered the following on that Jigoku Retsuden / Sonic Boom bonus disc....
    Deuce/DRC/Shout it Out Loud/Hotter than Hell/Calling Dr. L/Love Gun/I Was Made.../Heaven's on Fire/Lick it Up/I Love it Loud/Forever/Christeen 16/Do You Love Me/Black Diamond/R&R All Nite

Mechanical, lifeless....paint by numbers

18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Using alternative facts to try and support your untenable argument? :D

Curveboy likes this.
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'd like to think a professional musician who had been playing since the 1960's and who's first recording was in 1970 would know the difference between a remix and a re-recording.

batman144144 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

And, with all due respect, I ask the same of you, only in reverse :agree: As already pointed out, identical audio aside, if those were re-records on Smashes then the original producers would not be given credit as they clearly are. Case in point, Jigoku-Retsuden lists “KISS and Greg Collins” as the only producers for all the songs since they are re-records.
    Kiss – Jigoku-Retsuden -New Recording Best- (2008, CD)
    At least we can all agree KISS is worth talking about! :righton:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

No part of Smashes Thrashes & Hits was re-recorded, only remixed, other than Beth in which Eric Carr did record new vocals.

Anyone who says it is, is clearly uninformed.

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Not KISS but it features 1 ex and 1 current.

carlwm and Curveboy like this.
  24. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

You swear it’s on there and it’s not and you keep saying ST+H are re-records despite the rest of the world disagreeing with you.

I think it’s just you bud.

ejluther, Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Ringo is why I became a drummer in 66. He always looked to be enjoying himself & when I seen Hard Days Night in 64 I started banging on everything til my parents got me lessons. Ringo is unique. His playing a right hand set up when he is left handed played a part in his sound. No one could replace Ringo. I still think he's great, but I I think Charlie is too, I'm in a minority I know. But that's ok. They're great to me. Not technical drummers,but just right for their bands.