KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

They were not musical innovators in the 70s, for sure, but I don’t know if they were trend chasing back then either, unless straight ahead hard rock was the trend you are pointing at ... They had their musical influences sure (Zeppelin, The Who, Chuck Berry, Alice Cooper meets the Beatles conceptually) but they put out a blend of all that which was pretty uniquely a KISS sounding and looking thing.

2. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

KISS did follow trends with varying levels of success after 78.

They get a pass from me for “I Was Made for Loving You” … it’s too good a song, it’s a single song (they didn’t become Chic en masse) and if The Rolling Stones could do “Miss You” and nail it, then why not KISS?

I’d also defend them against your Humble Pie in 74 charge - if your bar for a “trend chasing” allegation is that low, then frankly many great bands will be guilty.

If you’re suggesting Revenge is a knock off Metallica’s Black album, well, you haven’t listened past “Unholy” … !!!

RelayerNJ and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I wouldn't suggest Revenge is a knock off of the Metallica record on the whole, but I don't think it was a coincidence that "Unholy" was the lead single, and that they went to the black leather and facial hair. The writing was on the wall in '90-'91 that they weren't going to be able to glom onto hair metal much longer, so it made sense for them to chase that carrot to an extent.

These guys were never terribly original in their musical approach. Of course they wrote some great songs, had some very appealing aspects to their individual talents, and had it wrapped up in an awesome package -- so I'm not saying it as a knock -- they were just never musically unique.

4. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

But they had their own sound. A Kiss song is recognizable within a few bars, even stuff from the 80s. I still feel they are very trend setting, even if you disagree. It's the whole package they give as a theatrical rock band where the music combines with the whole show, something to the likes never duplicated. And I think influence has a lot to do with trend imo, especially at their magnitude. They are integrated into the styles of many important artists after them imo.

5. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

Please give some examples.

intv7 likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

When you go to a concert…and a band puts on a show? That is because of KISS.

Doomster, carlwm and RelayerNJ like this.
  7. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I'd start with Parasite and Rocket Ride - just two random ones off the top of my head.

Haggis Wampovich and RelayerNJ like this.
  8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Never Enough by LA Guns. Lit Up by Buckcherry.

Matthew Tate and RelayerNJ like this.
  9. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Dimebag Darrell. The man is entombed in a Kiss coffin. Pantera sounds nothing like Kiss, right? But w/out Kiss, there'd be no Pantera. Think big picture.

carlwm, Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

How are those musical trends?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

MUSICAL trends.

You guys are really struggling with this phrase.

phonograph likes this.
  12. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

I'm sorry if my quoting you seems like I'm doubting you, but you said trends and that is one person. Trends involve multiple people/bands. I'm just trying to get a clear picture of why you said that because I'm not seeing it. Your original post said they were trend setters in the 70's. Dimebag was after that. What trends did they create in the 70's?

intv7 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

pantera invented what was called "groove metal" that involved several bands in the early 90's. without kiss there might not be groove metal

14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

and many others.....Alice Cooper to name one is & was far more theatrical than KISS

15. phonograph

phonograph Forum Resident

This is simply untrue, and you know it.

Automatic Changer and intv7 like this.
  16. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Absolutely.

As much as I adore and will defend these guys when warranted, I also gotta call out when someone regurgitates the stuff that Gene has led them to believe to be true.

Gene's a master bullsh**er and has been spinning his version of reality for so many decades I think he may actually believe it now himself. The notion that Kiss invented the big rock show is fantasy. They were often at the forefront, and no one could ever accuse them of offering up a half-assed presentation back in the day -- but they were neither the first nor the only band who put on a big stage spectacle.

17. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

The members of Pantera grew up loving Kiss and idolizing them...and then they started a band many years later that played a different kind of music than Kiss actually made.

That doesn't mean that Kiss started that trend.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

ever heard the terry glaze fronted pantera albums that started in the early 80's? they are pretty close to kiss music . dimebag, sebastain bach, the guys in anthrax, megadeth, extreme, poison ,etc all list KISS as a huge influence on them.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    RelayerNJ likes this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Exactly when you get a little older you start to see thru the self promoting BS, Gene & Paul are doing their jobs that's it. KISS had their thing, so did Led Zep, The Who, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Rolling Stones and others who were far bigger than KISS.

intv7 likes this.
  20. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I was replying to a post asking for an example on Kiss' impact on important artists after them. Sorry for the confusion.

TAF8184 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I never seen KISS live in the 70s, only starting in 96. But based on technology, budgets, and footage I've seen, I can say seeing them now is a much bigger and better theatrical event than ever before. You're right, it's anything but half-as*sed. This current tour is terrific. Musically, it's another story, but Paul isn't in his 20s anymore.

intv7 likes this.
  22. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

But I still don't see how that equates to "starting a musical trend", if Kiss didn't even play the style of the trend that you're talking about.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

i'd say just in general they were one of several huge influences on the 80's hard rock scene which pop metal was a huge trend

24. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Sure, they influenced bands that came a decade after them. Agreed.

Doomster and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

No, it's not. Go watch an interview with Garth Brooks...or any 80's band. You think King Diamond would exist without KISS?

RelayerNJ and Matthew Tate like this.