KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Fook the neighbors! Toin it UHP!

2. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Love Gun or Carnival of Souls?

Here's my ranking....

1. Love Gun
    2. getting kicked in the love gun
    3. Carnival of Souls

To be fair, two and three are close!

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Sad really to hear him sing like this, at some point you have to realize to your skills have deteriorated to a point where it's best to hang it up, yet he soldiers on.

4. Artietodd

Artietodd Forum Resident

Interesting, and it probably is...but the problem is, Peter doesn't know that, and most likely, none of the others did either. They intended something else and were hearing something else, and all couldn't get together on it. Peter had a hell of a lot of soul, but he could only play a couple of beats. And there's nothing in the KISS catalog (at least in the first several years) that ever approaches something that complicated. Also, how then do we explain the turnaround into the next verse?

5. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

I like the progression a lot. The prechorus....not so much. Chorus is meh. I like the sounds of the instruments and Paul's vox. Genes backup sounds off.

6. SizzleVonSizzleton

I was going to post this video tonight and comment on it. I already think this is a top 5 Paul tune and maybe my favorite of his entire career but musically I love this version. There's a great jangly twelve string sound right off the top that reminds me of the awesome Indian sounds in the movie The Darjeeling Limited. I also absolutely love the high part being sung in the chorus as it really elevates things.

But yeah, Paul sounds rough. When I first watched this today I thought he sounded mostly okay but then I downloaded the audio and just listened to it with headphones and it was sobering to say the least.

I wish there was some way to incorporate a healthy vocal with this musical version of the song, I'd listen to it five times a day.

npgchris, Deuce66, ejluther and 2 others like this.
  7. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

You're absolutely right - it is of course basically the peak of Kissteria (the Love Gun era) but I was simply thinking how I've heard it talked about posthumously. :)

William Smart likes this.
  8. William Smart

That's really heartbreaking, I barely watched a full minute and just couldn't go any further. Definitely can't let Jo-Ann hear that. It will definitely break her heart. I tried to tell her once b4 that Paul's voice was going. She got a bit mad, hurt and defensive. Poor thing would break into tears if she heard this. I was serious, she adores Paul. Beatlemania paled in comparison to her love for Paul.

9. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

DONCHA HESITATE

Loved it! Would fit in perfectly on Dressed To Kill. Good call on the Black Oak Arkansas. It sounds like one of their outtakes that came out a few years ago on Back Thar And Over Yonder. It also reminds me of that Joan Jett that goes "Dontcha wanna touch...me!"

Heck, I enjoyed this song more than half the songs on the overrated Destroyer.

10. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

This is the Black Oak Arkansas song I was thinking when I heard "Doncha Hesitate".

11. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I thought he sounded better in the full concert clips from the cruise but this makes me sad...:cry:

12. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Doncha Hesitate - While obviously in unfinished state and inferior audio quality, this track rocks! I really like the singing and that early KISS vibe! There's a solid song in there, it just needs a little polishing and that's it.

13. SizzleVonSizzleton

Paul really benefits from a noisier audience recording. Or maybe more accurately, our enjoyment of Paul benefits from a noisier audience recording.

It must be tough for Paul to have another singer (the guy singing with the Kulick's) on his cruise singing his songs better than he could ever hope to again.

It really is a testament to the fan base that KISS can continue to do such good live business with their legendary singer so hobbled.

14. warewolf95

So about a week ago I reviewed the first 3 KISS albums. Time is finally on my side tonight and I'm in the mood to continue, so picking up after Dressed to Kill, I'm ignoring live albums (I collected so many bootlegs and recordings they kinda became surplus to my needs, haha) - yes side 4 of Alive II will be covered, don't worry - and continuing onwards with Destroyer.

Now, Destroyer is rightfully a classic. It's been so long, but IIRC it was one of my favorites from the first time I heard it. No doubt it's also probably the best produced KISS album, by far, until Creatures Of The Night.

The Bob Ezrin influence is extremely apparent and it's night and day from the meat-and-potatoes of the first 3 albums. After listening to Alice Cooper's mid-70s work with Bob, it was pretty interesting just how much I realized was Bob's doing/influence.

Destroyer is still one of my favorites, even if I rarely listen to it these days, and it's one of the few truly Klassic albums in KISS' discography.

1. Detroit Rock City - Holy crap what a punch in the face! I've never been a fan of having to skip 90 seconds past the intro to reach the song and I wish the album was indexed with a separate intro track instead of it being part of DRC. But that's just me. Does it help the build up? Of course. But I'm impatient and don't care and almost always skip it. I Can't be the only one. :) Not much to say. It's DRC. As with several other tracks, probably everything one can say about it has already been said. Actually, relistening for this review, I noticed for the first time piano backing up some of the chords! That's freakin' cool!

2. King Of The Night Time World - This is one of my all-time favorite KISS songs. Ever. It just kicks so much rear and is so perfectly catchy and hooky and full of spunk. Wish they played it live more - a perfect intro/2nd song of set. That teetering Ace sustained note at the beginning>>>>BAM! Explosions, drum rolls, the song kicks in....
    :)

3. God Of Thunder - I'm not personally a fan of the album track of this song. It sounds neutered with Bob's production in this case (again, imo). Live, the song was/is always a giant stomping behemoth. It just doesn't translate that well to record with such elaborate production. I could see it faring much better on say Love Gun or RnRO. But I dig the song itself and always have. Ironic that Gene's signature song was originally a Paul Stanley metal track. Pretty cool transformation from one to the other.

4. Great Expectations - I'm hot and cold on this. I used to love it. But in recent years, with the benefit of hindsight, I find myself enjoying it less for no particular reason. I really like the size of it all, but I can't stand the children's choir. Great song, but again the production is overdone a bit to it's detriment imo.

5. Flaming Youth - the hidden Klassic of the album. Love the main riff and the chord progressions and themes of rebellion. I also actually dig the calliope (or whatever) on the chorus. A standout for me and one that should've been played live all the time back in the day. Shame it only really came onstage in the last few years.

6. Sweet Pain - For no particular reason, this has always seemed the slightest track on the album. I enjoy it as much as all the rest, but it's the one I can't remember how it goes after having just listened to it. You know what I mean. Also, although it's just as lush as the rest, this is probably the song least touched by Ezrin's production. Also I love the winding and changing guitar stuff. Get rid of the backing vocalists though - yuck!

7. Shout It Out Loud - KLASSIC, YO

8. Beth - I like Beth. I'm not a big Peter guy but I dig this. It's Beth. What do you want me to say?

9. Do You Love Me - Love those mammoth drums in the intro. This is one of my all-time favorite Kiss songs and recordings. Everything about it is perfect to me. It's hooky and loud and sexy andsarcastic and bombastic all at once. It's Kiss in a nutshell with the best of Ezrin without him making a mess, ala God Of Thunder. Just a spectacular song and recording. Perfection.

Outro - forget the outro. It ends with DYLM. :)

15. warewolf95

Rock And Roll Over

Far and away my favorite of the make up era. There's something intangible that I can't desrcibe that I love about this album. Actually, it could be a few things - for one it returns to stripped down, hard rock production style. Put KISS in a room and record them. That's RARO in a nutshell. It was recorded in an old movie theater (again, iirc) and the live vibe is all over this. Sure, they didn't record as a band but it's not all over the place like Destroyer.

Another thing I love is the consistency. This has to be their most consistent album of the 70's (since their debut, at least). Even the weaker tracks aren't skippable to me. It's like a punk record almost because the runnign time is short enough to leave you wanting more and to keep you from skipping tracks, haha. It's here and then it's gone. It's a slap in the face.

My only real complaint is that Peter's drums sound pretty weak compared to the Bonham-esque size of Destroyer, but I could care less. :)

To sum up RARO, let me put it like this - when I'm in the mood for some 70's KISS, this is the first album I reach for. It satisfies me on every level and I still listen to it all the time. It just doesn't get old. It's just stupidly consistent from start to finish. I keep waiting for the "dud" and there really isn't one!

FREAKING LOVE THIS ALBUM!

1. I Want You - A Klassic metal banger. One of my absolute favorites and a song the Revenge era brought to a new level. Love the spoken intro and the ropey riffing. Unfairly ignored in their live sets between 1979 and 1990. Killer.

2. Take Me - The hidden gem on this album. This is one of my all time favorite rock songs by anyone. Cock rock at it's finest. It freaking rocks! How could they kick this out of the set after 1978?!?!?!? This is a song that should be way more well known by many more people. God that sentence was awful but thankfully this song is amazing!!! Possibly my favorite on the album.

3. Calling Dr. Love - A classic, of course. I still love the song to this day. It's just perfect.

4. Ladies Room - This song is a bit too Gene-by-numbers for me, but it's a great live track and, again, one I don't get tired of hearing.

5. Baby Driver - my least favorite track on the album. No it's not because it's a Peter vocal but because I think the song itself is just pretty boring. This is the only real weak link for me on this album and the only song I tend to skip over.

6. Love Em and Leave Em - Another Gene-by-numbers exercise, except this one is a lot more memorable musically and otherwise. A fantastic song in my opinion. Another song shamefully ignored in live performance, only coming out, IIRC, once or twice randomly in 2006 (of all years). Catchy as hell and Ace is in great form on it. I can't help but bang my head along. Love it!

7. Mr. Speed - I love this song and think it's yet another lost classic, but I'm sorry - the title/subject matter (yes I have a dirty mind) keeps me from enjoying it more. I mean, come on, Mr. Speed? What the hell else could he be talking about!! :)

8. See You In Your Dreams - I feel like this song gets overlooked for some reason. Shame, because this is probably Gene's best song on the album imo. A great title and the upbeat rock of the song is infectious. I can't help but feel great listening to this song.

9. Hard Luck Women - I adore this song. One of the best songs Paul wrote (he wrote it, right?) and Peter's voice fits it perfectly. A perfect pop single that should've been a huge hit.

10. Makin' Love - This is my other skip track next to Baby Driver. This is my most overrated song on this album. I just find it too repetitive and boring for it's own good. Sure a killer rocker but it's just too samey for me.

16. warewolf95

So, while on the subject of Love Gun, might as well get the review out of the way now. :)

This is the Cartoon Kiss album for me. It's all over the place. And not in a good way. Hell, even Dynasty feels more coherent than this!
    When I think of Love Gun, I immediately think of 1977, the Kiss Comic book with their blood in it, the massive tour, the merchandise.... Basically, this is the Kissteria album.

Sure the album has some classics, but it's also got a number of weaker album cuts and and also A bad decision. :)

1. I Stole Your Love - a classic. One of the best riffs the guys ever came up with if you ask me. Love this song - killer opener for an album and in concert!

2. Christine Sixteen - this feels like Calling Dr. Love part 2 for me. Love it. One of my all-time favorite Gene tracks. It's so simple and perfect and catchy. The perverted school creep part is funny but still unnerving but at least it's unique, lol! Give credit where it's due! This is another track that's been unfairly ignored live (even though it has been dragged out on rare occasion). I really love the bridge, too. Crap, I just love the whole thing. Probably tied with Shock Me as favorite on the album.

3. Got Love For Sale - a by the numbers rocker that doesn't sound too good to me. Apparently Gene plays guitar on it and it's apparent in the change in sound. Nothing personal, the song just doesn't do it for me. I've always thought the chorus was pretty bad.

4. Shock Me - Top 5 KISS Track right here! This is Ace's signature song and the probably high point of the album. It's as close to a perfect song as you can ever get. Also can we talk about that incredibly catchy and sing along guitar solo!? Insane! 10/10

5. Tomorrow and Tonight - Way too cartoony for me. It's just a bubblegum overdose to me. And Unmasked is one of my favorite albums, so that's saying something. Can't stand the chorus, haha.

6. Love Gun - The song is a classic but it's never really done much for me. Again, another case of repetition and boredom bringing down my opinion of a song. Eh.

7. Hooligan - probably my favorite Peter track besides Hard Luck Woman. The song isn't the greatest, but it's got some nice guitar figures and is pretty catchy. A massive step up from Baby Driver! Pretty nice live, too.

8. Almost Human - this seems to be the song people tout as the unsung classic on the album. It's pretty cool but it sounds way more like a Gene solo track or something from the pit of Destroyer than a proper KISS song. Basically, I dig the song and think it's really cool but it feels out of place on the album to me.

9. Plaster Caster - my opinion of this has done a 180 in recent years. I used to dislike the song - not because of the subject matter: I just didn't think it was that great. But after watching the Unplugged version more and letting time go by, it's become a firm favorite. The catch is that I can't stand the recording of it. Again, I think Gene played guitar on it. Guess I just don't like his tone or something. But I really love the song itself at this point. It's catchy as hell and you'd have no idea what the hell it's about unless you "knew", lol. The balls on them to release a song about this. :)

10. Then She Kissed Me - the most unnecessary and unwanted cover anyone has ever recorded. On top of it I can't stand the song regardless of who does it. C'mon guys, why.....

Sandinista, npgchris, D.B. and 5 others like this.
  17. William Smart

Black Diamond : aka coal:D This song is F N Incredible! A nice soft acoustic intro by Paul, a count on Peter's sticks and Hit It!
    Love Peter's voice and I can't imagine anyone else singing this. It just works so well on every level. Gene is not my favorite bass player I doubt he would make my top 20, but every once in a while he just..... I don't know, really pleases me. I love the little slides and flourishes he does. he just doesn't do anything I expect him to.... and that's always a good thing. The real star here ( for me) is Ace. Multiple solos each better than the last. the only thing I don't care for is the end. I mean that it does end. This should go on for another 5 minutes. Seriously I love this song. One if Peter's best vocals and one of Ace's best solos and Gene ain't no slouch either. This song fooking rocks solid! Pax

npgchris and Paulo Alm like this.
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Go back...lock your ear holes on the massive bass and Ace's multi-tracked bends...brings this song way up IMO

19. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I love Baby Driver. Rock N Roll Over is their second best studio album. I don't see how anyone can call this a weak link when you have Love Em Leave Em and See You In Your Dreams. I don't hate those, but Baby Driver is so much better.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

MAD DOG (Demo) 1975 (Simmons) (2:32)

“Mad Dog” was written Gene Simmons and considered for inclusion on Hotter Than Hell but by 1975, it had been dissected to become part of “Flaming Youth” for Destroyer. The opening riff is unmistakeable as it is what is playing during the solo on “Flaming Youth” (first occurring at 1:18 of that song).

Th song “Mad Dog”, otherwise, is kind of a slow paced boogie tune with Gene singing in his regular semi-bark on the chorus lyric, but doing a more nuanced vocal over on top of that. The guitars sound very primitive in terms of the way they sound (hence why this thing is a demo), but, beyond that, the playing is pretty rudimentary was well (I’d bet this is Gene on guitar and bass). I have no idea who is on drums, but I’d wager it’s not Peter as the beat is a straight 4/4 throughout the song. Couple the beat with the loping, lazy riff, song is a bit cumbersome except when it breaks for the verse lyrics; here the rhythm becomes a bit more bouncy and interesting.

The solo at 1:29 (probably played by Gene as well or, possibly, Ace) sounds more like what Dick Wagner laid down for “Flaming Youth” as opposed to Ace’s nutty, dissonant take on it.

We definitely hit on "Mad Dog" when we discussed "Flaming Youth", but I don't think much was said about it. I thought I'd bring it up again since we're looking at demos and other oddities.

SammyJoe, npgchris, dbturbo2 and 6 others like this.
  21. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Mad Dog:
    Kind of cool, I can see bits and pieces that show promise.

22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

MAD DOG

A very New York rock song...like something Lou Reed would have done. It's a sketch, but a decent one.

23. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Verse structure sounds like the father of "Got to Choose", am I right?

The first part of the solo reminds me of "Got to Choose" also, but does morph into "Flaming Youth" as you say. Thanks for posting. I LOVE hearing how songs/ideas evolve (as long as it's not in reverse).

24. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Mad Dog - Not bad at all, this one shows a lot of promise. That's a very cool riff to begin with, and it's played slower here which gives it a darker edge. I like Gene's vocals too, so this could've easily been developed into a solid track.

On the KISS Box Set, Ace Frehley is credited on lead guitar while Gene is on everything else. I actually love that solo and its biting, phased sound! Ace Frehley on lead guitar, folks.

Also according to the info provided on the KISS Box Set, it was recorded at Magna Graphics Studio, New York, late '75.

25. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I love this one. I think they should have used it regardless of the Flaming Youth thing. They could have resurrected this and stuck it on Love Gun somewhere, and most people probably wouldn't have even noticed. It doesn't seem like that big a deal anyway. It's a good idea why not use it twice. I mean if it's the main riff then you don't reuse that but with something like this I think it's okay.