Kiss Vinyl Reissues, Part 6

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

FYI Alive III was just released for HD Download...I haven't purchased it so I can't comment on quality.

Ivand likes this.
  2. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Depends what you meant by "Just" but I purchased it from HDTracks in March of 2016

johnny q and Curveboy like this.
  3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Interesting...ProStudioMasters just got it...

jeffreybh likes this.
  4. Spudz25

Spudz25 Forum Resident

Is the 2018 Solo album box set from the 2014 reissues? Also, does the colored vinyl affect the sound quality?

Juggsnelson likes this.
  5. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I only know from 80s releases by various bands that translucent vinyl sounded great, but picture discs and swirled vinyl tended to be less dynamic than black discs.

Spudz25 likes this.
  6. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

I know sleeves are different but I dont know if the same metal parts were used for the LPs. Id be surprised if it was another remaster. And i remember when it came out there were quality control issues, ppl getting messed up, sctatched covers.

7. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Today's colored vinyl sounds just as good as black vinyl to me. Picture discs on the other hand are really meant for display purposes due to the way they are made.

superstar19 likes this.
  8. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

My guess is yes.

Here's Ace's solo album matrices, from the coloured Box set issue:
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A): S-103061 B0020536-01-A G1 エS MASTERED BY CAPITOL
    • Matrix / Runout (Label B): S-103062 B0020536-01-B G1 エS
    You'll note the 'B0020536-01' are identical to his 2014 remaster vinyl releases, so I'm guessing they are the same metal parts.
    The catalog number of the 2018 solo reissue is B0028818-01 JK03, so the metal stampers used on the record don't match - which usually means they used the other stampers from the previous release.

I've also played my 2018 copy (once) and it sounded identical to the 2014 - that is, muffled and an unsatisying experience, overall. :shake:

Spudz25 and Batman21 like this.
  9. Batman21

Two copies of the green Dynasty showed up from sound of vinyl - both with pretty significant edge warp, both going back. Bummer.

10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

All too common these days - frustrating!:(

11. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

After so many years I finally pulled the trigger on the Psycho Circus 2014 vinyl release. Certainly an improvement over the CD version. I’m enjoying it a lot.

It’s been a while since I heard this album. Other than You Wanted The Best and the Peter Criss ballad, I think all the songs are great.

Anyone knows if Bruce Kulick plays guitar on Within? Some guitar arrangements feel to me something out of Carnival of Souls.

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The backwards guitar intro is Bruce; if memory serves they lifted it right off the original Carnival of Souls sessions. I think the rest is Tommy.

Ivand likes this.
  13. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the 2014 reissue of the solo albums vs. the original records from the 70’s? Is it worth trying to pursue a VG+ copy of Gene or Paul’s albums vs. getting the 2014 reissues? (I already have a 70’s Japan issue of Ace’s solo album but don’t have a reissue to compare with). Thanks.

hi_watt and Jason W like this.
  14. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I compared a few LPs back when I picked the reissues, but it's been a while. And I think I only got to opening a few before getting swept up in something else. I was actually thinking of thinning out my reissues just to make room on the shelves. You've inspired me to go back and A-B stuff again.

Ivand likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The 2014 re-issue of Paul's album is a success, avoid Ace's at all costs. I never liked Gene or Peter's solo albums so I never bothered with the 2014's, the originals are enough for me.

candyflip69, superstar19 and Ivand like this.
  16. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

As many have already said, avoid Ace's 2014. Gene's and Paul's are an improvement in sound quality from vintage copies, imo. Gene's is actually the best-sounding, extremely clear....although I've never heard Pete's 2014.

hi_watt, johnny q and Ivand like this.
  17. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Thanks. I bought a reissue of Paul Stanley’s solo from amazon few years ago but got a picture disc. Not crazy about the SQ. Will try to find a regular reissue version.

batman144144 likes this.
  18. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I picked up many of the 2014’s, I like Paul’s solo very much but unfortunately pressed off center a tad. I just found an original press of the Gene solo album and I think it sounds very good, no need to pick up the 2014 for that one.

I also found an original Lick It Up that sounds great, and I think I like it better than the 2014. I’ve been coming across a lot of Kiss original vinyl lately, also just found The Elder yesterday, sounds awesome.

I also found from a local seller a Ken Kelly Love Gun print, signed by Ken measuring 22x22. Beautiful piece and I cannot wait to frame it.

[​IMG]

19. Batman21

I keep passing on the Paul 2014 remaster. You all are convincing me to stop that.

johnny q likes this.
  20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Has anyone compared the Hotter Than Hell 2014 with an actual original Allen Zentz press?

hi_watt and Ivand like this.
  21. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I've got some Original Kiss vinyl Received a few years back, but never got around to playing them.
    Not sure what the general opinion is on the sound quality for some of them. (not my pictures)
    Double Platinum
    The Originals 3-lp set
    The elder
    Gene
    Ace

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

superstar19 and hi_watt like this.
  22. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I have both. And obviously the muddy/sludgey sound is part of the charm...and the 2014 doesn't rid it itself of that BUT I find it a tad more detailed with a wider sound stage. Since getting the 2014 a few years ago, it is the one I always reach for. For what its worth...

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Awesome thank you. I had sold two original blue label copies years back and regretted it. I was thinking of buying another copy but if the 2014 is the way to go I won’t bother. I do enjoy the 2014 very much.

candyflip69, johnny q and Queezma like this.
  24. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Now thats not to say if you come across a Bogart blue label in nice condition, and at what you consider a decent price, that you shouldn't pull the trigger....just to have a nice OG back in your collection. :winkgrin:

Vinyl Fan 1973 and superstar19 like this.
  25. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

Same with me, it's my go to version nowadays, sounds as good as this album likely ever will IMO. (and it's one of my favorite KISS albums)

Queezma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.