Klipsch Cornwall 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dennis0675, Aug 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That is the room the recording was made in. Not saying you need speakers this big to produce that .

2. lamode

lamode Well-Known Member

That statement is demonstrably untrue.

jwlaff and basie-fan like this.
  3. ha55is

ha55is New Member

Hello there,
    I have recently added CA EDGE NQ + EDGE W and wondered how they would sound with Cornwall IV? Im guessing quite loud.
    I want something that has warmth for late night folk/Americana and then then punchy for day?
    Would it cover both ok?
    Sorry i'm coming at this from a slightly uneducated angle!

Have a top day

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I thought of this review.

Suggests the Klipsch may be a decent match but because they are not overly warm and smooth as your amp appears to be. Warm speakers don't sound like a good match here?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A note with Klipsch Heritage speakers and the flabby bass issue. Overdamped, overdesigned for spec sheet solid state amplifiers post 1973 do this. With a McIntosh MA 5100 or 6100, the bass is better, likewise a good Sansui 4000 or 5000. Or get an Avery era Fisher.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive! Thread Starter

I have a fisher kx-200 and 400. The bass with the 400 is anemic at best. The extra power with the kx-200 really wakes up the bass by comparison but bass is incredibly improved with my Mac 4100. I’ve also run them with a Sansui 9090 and I wasn’t a fan of that combination at all, the horns were hot and the bass was bloated. Despite the efficiency I think those 15in woofers need some power to wake up or at least get balance with horns.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I lusted after a Sansui 9090, until I got to hear one and take it home for a few days. It went back. The Sansui 4000 I owned then and still have, sounded much better. And yes, the MAC 4100 is superb with Klipsch Heritage speakers. And they do perform better in corners, by the way. Even Heresies do better in corners.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. Dennis0675

I chalked the 9090 up as a failed experiment, especially with the Cornwall’s. A pair of Paradigm studio 40’s came back to me that I had loaned out to a friend and they sound fantastic with that Sansui. Kind of a bummer since I was ready to sell them both but now I enjoy listening to it fairly regularly.

it can be tough to speculate what amps and speakers work well together. Specs are important but can also be misleading. It would seem McIntosh and Klipsch always work well together no matter the WPC.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    McLover likes this.
  9. Merkinman

Merkinman Well-Known Member

I owned the Tannoy Legacy Cheviots for about 3 months and thought they sounded way more refined than the Forte III, which I had in for demo at my home. Ultimately the Tannoy sounded too sibilant and I could hear beaming and ringing from the horn. Too fatiguing even with an all tube integrated. I got rid of the Cheviots and didn't purchase the Fortes. I now own the Cornwall IVs and am really enjoying them. Not the most refined, but so engaging and never fatiguing. There are better speakers out there I'm sure, but I can sit with my eyes closed and forget about everything while I listen. That's what it's all about for me.

10. AudioloverUK

AudioloverUK Active Member

Hi everyone - I love my Cornwalls and recently made a video about them, so hope it's something you all like!

11. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I'm curious if anybody would have any idea how Cornwall 4's would pair with an NAD M33 integrated amplifier? It would be in a LARGE room.
    Thanks.

12. Dennis0675

I can’t think of any reason why that wouldn’t be a lovely combination. Is that a 200 wpc class D? I don’t think you are going to find anyone with first hand experience with that pairing.

200 wpc is far more power than you will ever need or want to use with this speaker. You might be able to save some money by choosing a less powerful amp.

superstar19 and 500Homeruns like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.