Klipsch Heresy IV (Objective) Speaker Review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ErinH, Nov 27, 2020.

1. YtseJammer

YtseJammer Forum Resident

2. contium

contium Forum Resident

Looks a lot better than the OP measurements.

[​IMG]

Bananas&blow likes this.
  3. noway

noway Forum Resident

They aren't very tall for floorstanding speakers. My listening position is too high for them. I used to have Heresy IIs and with my high listening position it turned "rock groups on a stage" into "munchkins in a ravine". I didn't mind the other aspects of the sound though, but would have needed to sit on a low couch or the floor. I tried them without the risers (on stands) but that reduced the bass too much.

Fruff76 likes this.
  4. russk

russk Forum Resident

They are great speakers. If they work for your room and listen position they won’t disappoint.

The problems the OP reported would be pretty glaring deficits. You wouldn’t need 20K+ of gear to determine they sucked. Who knows maybe he got a bad pair.

Klipsch heritage have never been bass heavy speakers and have never be great at pinpoint imaging. The two pair I’ve heard where clean, open, full sounding and while didn’t do the pinpoint imaging trick a more modern, say D’Appolito design or other MTM designs can do, the put out a well organized sound stage, clean sounding midrange (a first for the Heresy) and a decent bottom end.

To bad that they and the Fortes seem to be moving away from true high efficiency designs but I guess that’s the trade off you have to make.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. yamfan

yamfan Forum Resident

Many speakers are intentionally "voiced" to sound impressive in short demos in shows. Not saying the Klipschs are.

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Been listening to mine for 30 years. Have them raised on concrete blocks (about 3 ft. high). I run my sources through a Schitt Loki equalizer
    and get really nice sound. Able to bring up the bottom a bit (I like tight bass, so never added a sub, like many do,) and take the glare off the top,
    if the music (usually cd,) needs some softening. My receiver is 25w SS (plenty for the pair of Heresys) Oak cabinets. Love 'em.

7. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I read that these should be 3 meters minimum from the listening position, is this true? If so, obviously not good for a smaller space?

Ntotrar likes this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

If you want imaging and height in the soundstage, yes.

Noel Patterson and Ntotrar like this.
  9. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

It’s just biz for some :laugh: I’ve seen some very dodgy claims by him.

Anyways ... awesome review. Waaaaay above my pay grade but I love it.

10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

True, but there a few things to consider...

First off, I think the term "bass" was a bit different in the old days than we consider it today. Back in the heritage days amplifiers had less power to drive bass. Most speakers had a smaller magnet structure and were not as powerful as modern speakers. Nor, could they handle as much power, so less bass.

Also, musical instruments were mostly acoustic with natural lower frequency's. Which would also translate to the music itself not being overly bassy.

Both Altec, Klipsch, and other speaker manufacturers of the day, relied more on physical principles to achieve bass. This meant having large physical enclosures, like the K-Horns.

Placing high sensitivity horns in smaller enclosures did not alter the performance of the horns, but it certainly had a pronounced effect on bass frequencies!

Vintage horn speakers were large and not rear ported. They were designed to be placed next to walls and in corners. This type of placement would also reinforce bass.

The original design intent for the Heresy was for it to be placed between two K-Horns. As such, the need for strong bass was non-existent. What was needed was a speaker with quick transient response that could match the corner horns.

Really not much different than the center channel of a HT set-up today.

Just like a sealed vs. a ported sub, today's Heresy IV is giving up some of its transient response in exchange for more bass. Also, sounding better if pulled out from the wall due to its rear facing bass reflex port.

Ampexed, russk and Helom like this.
  11. Chris Schoen

The new Heresy has a "rear facing bass reflex port"?

12. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I had a pair of Heresy 1’s for years. They only sounded good when I had a sub hooked up to them. It also had the Crites upgrades which improved them a bit, but they were still a Heresy. I love my Cornwalls, but the Heresy just didn’t cut it for me. Also, it’s true that klipsch sound best when matched with tubes.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. SandAndGlass

I haven't seen them but according to the review, it does.

14. Chris Schoen

O.k. thanks, I didn't read the review of the new ones. Mine are over 30 years old. I love them, but some may feel they need more bottom.
    I added a Schitt Loki equalizer a year ago, and I have brought up the lows a little, and eased the highs a little. They are perfect now (imo).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. SandAndGlass

People do find it odd that many legacy speakers don't have more bottom. My Altec A7's cabinets are "DIMENSIONS (W x D x H) 30 x 24 x 52 inches", yet they roll off just below 50-Hz. And the Altec's 828 series bass cabinet used in the A7's are quite a bit larger than the Heresy!

It's not about doing what Altec's and Klipsch were not designed to do, it is how well they do what they are designed to do.

This is a photo of a pair (not mine) of Altec 828 bass bins under renovation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  16. YtseJammer

Interesting new video by Steve Guttenberg

Clonesteak and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. SandAndGlass

Very good video. I have been following Steve for many years now from back in his c|net days. I don't do the measurement thing either...

Clonesteak and YtseJammer like this.
  18. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Some observations from this thread:

• OP doesn't like the sound of Klipsch heritage speakers (a valid opinion shared by some).
    • OP ruffles feathers on 2 other websites before coming to this one.
    • OP makes a slanted negative review focusing on measurements.
    • OP uses one amplifier that is unlikely to be a good match for the Heresy. Anyone with a passing interest in Klipsch Heritage speakers would know a 20 year old high power solid state amp is not the best pairing for the Heresy IV. Then incorrectly states that that's how most people would power their amp. In other words most people spending $3,000 on a pair of speakers won't try to pair the speakers correctly.
    • OP's other amp choice is an AVR. Anyone with a passing interest in 2 channel hifi knows that generally AVR's produce inferior sound quality.
    • It's very likely OP was told on other forums that the Heresy typically sound best with tube amps. He does not listen with a tube amp.
    • When this was pointed out on the 3rd website, he said if that's true Klipsch should recommend using Tube amps on their website and they don't. OP then posts a marketing pic of the Heresy IV connected to a Cary tube amp.
    • At audio shows Klipsch is often paired with Cary tubes amps. This is stated on Cary's website and they recommend the pairing. I know this and I've never owned a Klipsch speaker. OP is a professional reviewer (admits to being paid 2 cents per page viewing) and stubbornly defends his choice of amplifier.
    • OP places speakers 2 feet from back wall. Multiple posters indicate this is a poor location and that the bass improves substantially by placing the Heresy's closer to the wall. OP remains indignant that nowhere on their website does it indicate to place Heresy's near the wall. It doesn't say anything on Klipsch's website about eating every day, but presumably the OP eats every day.
    • When OP gets a similar response that he got on previous websites he responds and calls his detractors "Karens".
    • OP takes his ball and goes home.

19. YtseJammer

Amen and well said ;)

Oh and btw, I'm still enjoying my Heresy IV.

20. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

How high above floor is the midrange horn when the heresy is sitting on the slanted base? Thanks!!

21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

In another review he used the phrase "the house sound of listening fatigue". :)

22. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I wouldn’t have the great Klipsch speakers I have now if I hadn’t heard the Heresys in a commercial situation so long ago and having been so impressed with the music they were making.

McLover, Oddiofyl and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. AudioOut58

AudioOut58 Forum Resident

I'm still breaking in a pair of Heresy IV's. I am really pleased with the sound so far.

Clonesteak and Oddiofyl like this.
  24. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

We had Heresys for 30 years. As said, great party speakers. Not so hot for sitting and listening.

25. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I owned a pair of CF 4 years ago and they were huge, I sold those and have several models of other speakers along the way. Got a great deal a few years ago on a pair of new Heresy III. I enjoyed them and purchased a pair of Forte IV last February. One thing about the Heritage speakers is you can enjoy them and they are still worth money .

I actually traded mine in, I got $300 less than what I paid for them 4 years earlier. No brainer for me

SandAndGlass likes this.