Klipsch R-12SW Subwoofer cheap at Costco

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CMT, Sep 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMT

CMT Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, my local Costco is offering the Klipsch R-12SW Subwoofer for only $189, which seems a very good price. I have abandoned the idea of a subwoofer since getting my new speakers (KEF r3s); they have plenty enough bass for my taste. I'm thinking adding a subwoofer would be meaningless, particularly as I listen mostly to classical music.

However: Is adding a subwoofer and adjusting things so that the main speakers don't try to reproduce the lowest frequencies something that might improve the sound of the main speakers in the other frequency ranges? In other words, is there a reason to use a subwoofer to improve sound quality rather than to add bass for the sake of bass?

Apparently my amplifier has excellent bass management (Outlaw Audio rr2160).

I suspect the answer is no, acquiring one of these (2?) would be a waste of even this modest amount of money, but, am I wrong?

Blastproof likes this.
  2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

When you say your speakers have enough bass for your taste your are probably answering your question too. You get basically what you pay, the sub can be obtained for more but it still cost a small fraction of what your speakers sell for. To me buying something just because it is cheap is not a good idea.

If you were considering something of better quality perhaps I would respond differently but I wouldn't buy it. Yes, you will have more bass but whether the sound is going to be really better is relative. You can always sell it again.

3. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Yes, if you want to really hear the organ note that commences Also Sprach Zarathustra you’ll need a sub. There is a theoretical advantage to filtering those lowest tones from your KEFs but I’d recommend a bit more research rather than making an impulse buy.

CMT likes this.
  4. CMT

CMT Forum Resident Thread Starter

If it were going to be an impulse buy, I would already have bought it. :)

5. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Well done! You could start at the Wirecutter for reviews that can help with how to read specs for output level etc.

My impulse control is challenged when the JBL Studio 550 goes under $200 on sale.

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

No, it’s not a good sub. It’s cheap for a reason and built for explosions in movies on a home theatre.

Uglyversal likes this.
  7. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

If you listen loud, yes, letting good subs handle the low notes would help the speakers perform better.

In my 5000+ cubic ft living room (very leaky and opens to other parts of the house), I can sense that when playing loud using different crossover points.

8. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I am quite happy with mine. I got it for $169 from Costco, and I replaced my old JBL Sub10. This new sub is picking up nuances that the old sub simply couldn't present as well. My somewhat discerning ear is pleased.

MikeJedi likes this.
  9. harby

harby Forum Resident

I like it when a picture tells you most of what you need to know...

[​IMG]

Amp chip on the top right, or could be class-D mosfets. There's a few SMT components on the bottom of that bland board. The bottom board is a switch-mode power supply. "400 watts"..

hifisoup and jj817 like this.
  10. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

That's nice. For those of us who can't (or absolutely will not) shell out $4000 for a speaker, the Klipsch R12SW sub is a great bargain. I hope OP takes the plunge.

Ref98 likes this.
  11. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

I like Klipsch but I would recommend a second hand SVS enclosed sub for music. I don't think that sub will keep up and may sound too boomy. It would be excellent for home theater imo.

Fruff76 likes this.
  12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Heavily thinking of adding this with my Klipsch RB 5’s in my Loft system. Yammie AS2200 , Oppo 105D, technics Sl1200g, Rotel CD11 Tribute , Furman power conditioner. Sounds like a stone cold steal for what it does. Just need a bit of extension since these already put out decent bass for their size. I looked at SVS I think they sound better but don’t want to spend the extra cash Anyone else own this one with decent bookshelves ? :)

13. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I have R3's, they are great. I do not listen loud and mostly acoustic music. A sub made a nice improvement in the experience.
    Looking at the specs for $200 I would seriously consider it.

How large is your room?

refurbished $150
    Klipsch R-12SW Subwoofer | Klipsch

Clonesteak likes this.
  14. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I am a firm believer in a sub pressurizing the room and making the soundstage better. My experience tells me my music sounds better with a sub than without one even if they are an inexpensive one. Try it out and if you don’t like it then return it.

Blastproof, MikeJedi and Ingenieur like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.