Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door by Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue. Thread Starter

This song came out in 1973 on the soundtrack to Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid as most of those who are interested know.

It is haunting, to me. Such a beautiful song.

There aren’t too many words, by his standard. There is something ethereal that I cannot put my finger on. This is my favourite 1970s Bob Dylan song.

Who else feels this way about this song? Please share.

2. John B

3. Leeston

Leeston Forum Resident

My favourite all time song ever, one for my funeral.

Just perfect for this scene from a very underrated movie.

The looks on Slim and his woman by the river just choke me up every time.

ThouShallNotKill and John B like this.
  4. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

I loved it because it was easy to learn to play and sing...on guitar. This was when I was 17 or so in '74....

5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Awesome song, as long as it's not Guns N Roses doing it.

GowG, AidanB, Raunchnroll and 22 others like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Very different than anything else in Dylan's songbook. Kind of stands alone.

7. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I have always loved the understated nature of the Pat Garrett arrangement. It is a perfect support for the singer's reflections, leaving plenty of space for contemplation. A truly beautiful rendition.

However, I have hated how the song in other versions has been turned into a big-budget anthem. Big, full arrangements, with huge vocal backups shouting the "KNOCK-KNOCK-KNOCKING" with gusto and fists punching the air. With big guitars, horns, strings and who-knows-what instruments. So rather being a song about contemplating the approach to heaven, these arrangements break through heaven's gates with a Mack truck at full-speed without brakes. And without subtlety. Not how I see the song, and not how Dylan originally saw it.

So it's one of the songs that I really don't look forward to hearing, as I will hate the arrangement. And unfortunately, the original tends to be forgotten. Good to see it getting some recognition here.

8. John B

I recall G C D and Am7. Similar memory and age. Funny how that works!

grapenut likes this.
  9. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Beautiful, amazing song.

Richard--W, John B and Zoot Marimba like this.
  10. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

"Mama, put my guns in the ground."

11. John B

Agreed. This song is at its best when rendered with simplicity.

I have not seen a fist pumping version nor would I want to.

qwerty, Richard--W and Zoot Marimba like this.
  12. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Saying this as somebody who used to be a HUGE GnR fan and still likes them to a degree, you are not missing out at all.

And you're right, even when I was like "only like Dylan songs when other people do them", the original was clearly the best, has a very earnest and Down to earth feel that's hard to beat

lightbulb, qwerty, enro99 and 3 others like this.
  13. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

One of Dylan’s most iconic songs. Perfect in every way. Wish I could write a song like that!

andrewskyDE and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Not to mention That Wailing Screech of what passes for a vocal...
    :winkgrin:

15. John B

That does not apply here, according to me. Bob’s voice is warm and friendly and it draws you in.

16. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I love "Knocking On Heaven's Door." It's one of my favorite Dylan songs and has possibly my favorite Dylan lyric. I think it is possibly Dylan's best in terms of singing and production, and the simple poignancy of the composition makes it very special in comparison to Dylan's usual complex language.

Richard--W likes this.
  17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Wait!
    Please re-read the post I was responding to, which is the annoyingly bombastic Runs and Goses version:
    I’m a big fan of Bob Dylan’s version.

John B likes this.
  18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I liked the song years ago, but the simplicity of the music and lyric, and the lack of universal imagery does not quite do it for me any more. The repetition irks me slightly. I recognize his brilliance and can understand why people like it, but for me it's too trite and unconvincing.

majorlance likes this.
  19. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

"Knockin' On Heaven's Door" pushes some kind of button in me that transports me to another place. The song is a lamentation and a prayer. The ebbing away of life, facing death, not wanting to let go. Just because the singer is knocking doesn't mean the door will open, you know? I love the interaction of Dylan's vocal with the anguished chorus. The way the lead guitar threads its way the rhythmic strumming with keyboard highlights. Maybe it's those e-minor chords and the reverb. The lyrics are simple, and yet they resonate because they suggest so much. In that respect the song could almost come from John Wesley Hardin (1967) while musically it would fit in with the 1970 tracks on Self Portrait. I also love the feeling the instrumentals give me. It's mood music, but not in the usual sense of mood music. The film Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and the album had a profound impact on my life. 45 years later and it's still with me.

20. Richard--W

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings did a respectable acoustic version in concert occasionally, during the 1990s.

But there is no substitute for the original. It's just magical, the original.

Stone Turntable and qwerty like this.
  21. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Always liked this song, even though I'm not a major Dylan fan. Warren Zevon's cover on his final album is pretty powerful as well.

mrjinks, Syscrusher and Baroque like this.
  22. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

After initially liking the original Dylan version, I loathed the song for many years. Mainly because its one of those classic rock cover songs that gets covered so badly, and typically flogged for 10 mins. Right up (down there) with Sweet Home Alabama, Mustang Salley, et al.

So the new band I’m playing with is 75% originals, 25% artful covers. Yup, you guessed it... KOHD is one of those covers. I’m the new guy so I kept my opinion to myself, but inwardly I was eye rolling. But we do a really good job with it, mainly because we keep it to a tight 4 mins.

23. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

One of those shivers down the spine songs.

24. Richard--W

It's a death poem.

Forgive me for sounding argumentative, but I couldn't disagree more.
    It takes talent to achieve simplicity. There is a lot left unsaid.
    I find the song the opposite of trite and performed with genuine conviction.
    The song is entirely universal imagery, and there is no repetition, only alliteration.

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

One of his best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.