Korean cinema

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bruce Racket, Feb 11, 2020.

1. townsend

townsend Senior Member

The Chaser is a terrific Korean movie:

MC Rag, Bruce Racket and YMC4 like this.
  2. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Love The Handmaiden. It’s one of my favorites from the 2000 teens.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  3. meimnoone

meimnoone Forum Resident

4. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

5. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident Thread Starter

Have you seen his movie Pieta yet? I've seen a lot of crazy cinema and this movie just buried me. So heavy, so rough, such a head trip, just … wow. It was an extremely uncomfortable watch but I loved it. It's both beautiful and brutal. If it doesn't move you then you are dead or a sociopath. Lol.
    I even thought the set design was amazing. Until I realized that it wasn't a set or a design, it was just a real run down industrial area of Seoul.

Claus LH likes this.
  6. Bruce Racket

7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

The Asian approach is interesting and can be brutal.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  8. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

love The Host and Okja is very good. even my wife enjoyed Okja (at least most of it).

Bruce Racket likes this.
  9. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Another great film I haven't seen mentioned so far is 'Silenced' (2011)

Do-ga-ni (2011) - IMDb

It's a very sad film and a tough watch but I recommend it if you want to see a well written and acted film tackling this subject.

For something more uplifting there is 'Will You Be There?' (2016)

Dangshin Geogi Iteojoorraeyo (2016) - IMDb

Bruce Racket likes this.
  10. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Secret Sunshine has a devastating performance by Jeon Do-yeon (The Housemaid) and great support from Song Kang-ho (The Host, Thirst, Parasite).
    The Good, The Bad, The Weird is a ton of fun, a Korean spaghetti western with the ubiquitous Song Kang-ho.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  11. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

[​IMG]

Woman is the Future of Man.

See the guy in the yellow shirt in the background? Me.

12. Bruce Racket

'Silenced' (2011) was like a punch in the gut. It was very well done.
    The Good, The Bad, The Weird IS a ton of fun. One of those movies you can watch again and again. Everyone I know who has watched it has enjoyed it. It's in permanent rotation. We usually watch it around New Year's with friends and family.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  13. Jazzmonkie

The Wailing (2016) and Spider Forest (2004) are favorites of mine. The Wailing seems shorter than its 2+ hour length. A lot happens.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  14. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

If you only watch one South Korean film, make it "Oldboy"

Then...
    Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
    Lady Vengeance
    Joint Security Area (JSA)

Shiri was also pretty good

Bruce Racket likes this.
  15. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Streamed Peppermint Candy from Amazon last night. Stopped about half way in- too depressing.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  16. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I went through a big Korean film phase around 15 years ago. I need English subs, and it's actually harder for me to see recent Korean films than for the rest of you since Korean films aren't screened in Korea with English subs. When they started being released on DVD with English subs, it ignited a period of me buying them indiscriminately (odd for me) . After a while, though, the phase worked itself out. There were Korean films that had their own identity, and there were Korean films that watched Hollywood films and said, 'We can do that too.' I'm not a fan of the latter, though there are many hybrid types.

It was during that time that I was an extra in the Hong Sangsoo film shown above, so I was actually in a film that played at Cannes. Ebert dismissed it as 'empty art' while Scorsese loved it and even filmed an introduction for the American edition of the DVD. Although a non-speaking part, the scene I was in was a famous one that was included in the trailer, so I frequently saw myself on tv commercials at the time.

The scene was at Gimpo Airport. When I arrived in the 1990s, that was still Korea's international airport but by time the movie was made, Incheon had replaced it as the main international airport. However, the scene was set a few years back in the past, so we had to film it there.

His movies are worth watching. I can see where Ebert is coming from though I don't agree with him. If you like action films and need scenes that get your adrenaline pumping, avoid these, but otherwise they're very meditative films. Be prepared for a misogynistic streak though.

Generally speaking (not about him), my favourite Korean films would be Take Care of my Cat and Barking Dogs Never Bite. These are small-scale in focus and do not attempt to do American CGI-fests.

17. Jazzmonkie

I would recommend "Barking Dogs..." for fans of black humor. I think it's really funny and Bae Doona is great in it. I believe it's Bong Joon-Ho's first feature.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  18. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

The Housemaid (1960) is a Hitchcockian thriller. It was loosely remade in 2010. The original was good, haven’t caught the newer take.

palisantrancho and Bruce Racket like this.
  19. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

[​IMG]
    This is a great film. The battle scenes are not for the squeamish.

20. Jazzmonkie

I like the 2010 version and would like to see the original.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  21. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

The Wailing is one spooky movie...one of those slow burn horror masterpiece type which deserves more attention (it's on netflix).
    i'm a big fan of that director (Na Hong-Jin) even if he only has made 3 films so far to my knowledge (The Chaser, The Yellow Sea & The Wailing).

i'll share a funny story...good friend of mine that i grew up with, went to AFI then to Korea to work as an editor in the early 2000's.
    he also teaches at some film school on the side... one day, one of his student asked him if he would consider editing his upcoming feature length debut.
    my friend has been doing reasonably well up to that point (in fact, he edited some of the movies mentioned on this thread ~) so he kinda blew him off thinking he doesn't have time for indie type movie. well...that film turned out to be The Chaser and needless to say the role has reversed and he now has to kiss that student's ass whenever their path crosses :winkgrin:
    my bud did just fine after that incl. winning some big awards for working with mr. Bong few years back (not Parasite ~) but i'm sure that's one path he wish he could do over.

in any case, The Wailing (& The Chaser for that matter) is heavily recommended for anyone who's interested enough to be viewing this thread :righton:

22. Bruce Racket

I have to add The Wailing and The Brotherhood Of War to my list. Not sure how I forgot them, they are both great. Thanks for reminding me!

And now it's fixed...
    Best Korean Movies Ever Made - IMDb

23. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

They don't hold back on the violence. That's for sure.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  24. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I just finished the first season last night and I really enyoyed it. Entertaining and visually stunning.

Looking forward to S2.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  25. Jazzmonkie

Burning (2018) It is a slow burner but ends very satisfactorily. By the director of Secret Sunshine. It has "Walking Dead" actor Stephen Yeun.

Bruce Racket likes this.