Korean cinema

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bruce Racket, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's a trailer for the "sequel" to Train To Busan.

2. Bruce Racket

3. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Bruce Racket likes this.
  4. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Has this YouTube channel been mentioned yet? (recommended in the new digital-only issue of Sight and Sound)

Korean Classic Film

Tim S and Bruce Racket like this.
  5. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I just watched The Bow last night. It's a really great and beautiful film. Look forward to checking out more of his films.

[​IMG]

Bruce Racket likes this.
  6. Bruce Racket

Watched the Korean flick "Zombie For Sale" over the weekend. I'm burnt out on the whole Zombie genre but this movie was hilarious. Reminded me of "Save The Green Planet" a little bit. An over the top mash up of horror, comedy, social satire and action in the glorious South Korean style.
    Zombie for Sale (2019) - IMDb

Juan Matus likes this.
  7. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Macman, townsend and Bruce Racket like this.
  8. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

And I started a thread about "Strangers from Hell" TV Series, but because it is so GREAT I shill for it here again

[​IMG]

Bruce Racket likes this.
  9. Bruce Racket

I agree, Peninsula was pretty lame. Can't recommend that bomb.
    Haven't seen "#Alive" on Netflix yet but it's on the short list to watch next. Thanks for the suggestion!

Scott222C likes this.
  10. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

It's OK but nothing new. I thought "Train to Busan" was much more interesting and entertaining. #Alive star Yoo Ah-In is very good in "Burning,"

Bruce Racket likes this.
  11. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Glad I found this thread. Some incredible film that haven't been mentioned yet are Bedevilled, Thirst, Miracle in Cell No. 7, Joint Security Area, A Bittersweet Life and New World.

Halfwit and Bruce Racket like this.
  12. Bruce Racket

That is a great list of movies. I've seen all of them except for Miracle in Cell No. 7. All of the ones that I saw are highly recommended. I'll be checking out Miracle in Cell No. 7 ASAP. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I think of Bedevilled every time I see bean paste now. :D

acemachine26 likes this.
  13. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I still do netflix by mail - the selection is way, way better than online and I have no great need to watch something immediately. If I really feel that way, there are better ways to do that.

Anyway, I received I Saw theDevil, but mentally I was just not into that kind of film. Waited a couple more days and just wasn't for me for now, so sent it back.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  14. Jazzmonkie

Check out "The Good, the Bad, the Weird." Sort of an action/adventure/spaghetti western with a lot of humor.

Bruce Racket and acemachine26 like this.
  15. acemachine26

Haha I loved Bedevilled but man, I wish that city girl got some karma as well. She was a passive onlooker throughout and even alerted those monsters while the other girl was trying to get her revenge. But I guess that's the point of the film, revenge can only take you so far. That theme seems to be a common thread in lot of great Korean films.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  16. Bruce Racket

That city girl was without a doubt the WORST friend ever. Karma should have hit her like a ton of bricks.
    For all of the violence in Korean movies, there is usually always an underlying theme that revenge is never the answer.

acemachine26 likes this.
  17. acemachine26

Apparently Park Chan-wook (director of The Vengeance Trilogy and The Handmaiden) is about to start shooting his next film 'Decision to Leave'.

The story involves a diligent and serious detective (Park Hye-il) who is investigating a possible murder case in the mountainous countryside. He begins to suspect the man’s widow (Tang), whom he also develops romantic feelings for.

Really looking forward to this.

Jazzmonkie and Bruce Racket like this.
  18. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

A Tale Of Two Sisters & Hansel and Gretel are two of my favourites.

Jazzmonkie and Bruce Racket like this.
  19. Bruce Racket

I'll second that recommendation. One of those "instant classic" movies. We usually end up re-watching it over Christmas and New Years with friends and family. Someone always suggests it.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  20. acemachine26

Just heard the sad news that director Kim Ki-duk passed away today from covid. He was only 59.
    My favorite films of his were Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring and Pietà.

21. Bruce Racket

Aww man, that is truly sad news. One of the most creative and interesting directors around has left this earth behind.
    Those are my two favorite films by him too.

acemachine26 likes this.
  22. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

That is a big loss to cinema. I consider him one of the greats of today... or recent times, I guess... Every time I see his films, I find something that evokes emotions and something that stimulates the intellect. The one I come back to most often is Time because, to my mind, it's the rare case in general of a film driven by a "clever plot" and actually working.

23. acemachine26

Finally got around to watching the series Kingdom on Netflix. I'm blown away by how good it is. Definitely plan on taking it slow and watching one episode per day so I can savor it.

Bruce Racket and Jazzmonkie like this.
  24. Jazzmonkie

If you are a fan of Bae Doona you should check out Stranger, also on Netflix.

25. acemachine26

Added it to the list, thanks!

Bruce Racket likes this.