Korean cinema

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bruce Racket, Feb 11, 2020.

1. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

2. acemachine26

Bruce Racket likes this.
  3. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Binge-watched it on the weekend. Wasn't planning to but after the first episode I was hooked. Really enjoyed it. The final episode ends in a way that guarantees a second season and I found the first season so compelling that I wish it was left as a free-standing entity, complete and self-contained. I feel like a second season can't possibly succeed at the same level. I guess we'll see....

I'm really surprised by how little discussion Squid Game has generated here.

D.D.

4. acemachine26

I see, thanks for sharing! I might do the same and binge it over the weekend. I kinda felt the same about Kingdom. The first season was amazing, second was great but ended in an unsatisfactory way after so much buildup. I'm not super excited for season 3 but let's see.

5. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

It's really good. So much I could say here about Squid Game but I don't want to spoil it for you. Enjoy ! It's quite a ride.

D.D.

6. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Nice list. No Train To Busan?
    Have to catch up on some of those. Thanks.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  7. PapaMuerte

PapaMuerte Zappatista

For me, best show of 2021

Bruce Racket and Diamond Dog like this.
  8. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I watched Squid Game yesterday, the English-dubbed version, and really enjoyed it. Some of the cultural nuances are lost in the translation, but that's to be expected, and did not detract from the overall viewing experience. I especially loved the art direction and the sets, however, it was nightmarishly violent and graphic, and definitely not suitable for children.

Shawn and Bruce Racket like this.
  9. acemachine26

Just completed Squid Game, loved it. My only issue was...
    in Episode 7 when the VIPs are introduced. Their lines felt quite weak, those characters didn't have much depth to them. They just seemed cartoonishly bad and over-the-top.
    But overall I loved the story and was very invested throughout every episode.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Bruce Racket and Jazzmonkie like this.
  10. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Watched SQUID GAME and FLOWER OF EVIL simultaneously over the last weeks .... both good shows, but somehow I really preferred "FLOWER OF EVIL" - SQUID GAME seems almost too much "Hollwwood" and too little "Korea" to me ... :shrug:

Bruce Racket likes this.
  11. Scott222C

Agreed.

Bruce Racket and acemachine26 like this.
  12. Scott222C

It did - what a wonderful series ! Highly recommended !

13. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

“The Good Detective” Netflix. I binged this one a few months ago. Very good series.

14. Scott222C

Agreed

Bruce Racket likes this.
  15. Scott222C

You should check out "Beyond Evil" too .....

16. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I totally enjoyed the series "Beyond Evil." The star, Shin Ha-kyun, has been in several Park Chan-wook movies (Joint Securiy Area, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Thirst) "Squid Game" fans will recognize one of the supporting actors.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  17. Scott222C

Lol yes I recognized him in Squid Game, but couldn't for the life of me figure out from which series ... then I googled him and it hit me .....

18. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just watched The Good, The Bad and The Weird again. What a great flick. I watched it again with some friends and family, everyone enjoyed it.

Worth a watch if you have never seen it.

Halfwit and Jazzmonkie like this.
  19. Jazzmonkie

I also like director Kim Jee-woon's "A Tale of Two Sisters" and "I Saw the Devil." Neither of which is similar to "The Good, The Bad, The Weird."

Bruce Racket likes this.
  20. Bruce Racket

They were great too. Both are on my IMDB list of best Korean movies up to 2017. Two Sisters was a great slow burn that kept you guessing and Saw The Devil was savagely brutal, peak Korean cinema insanity. Must see's if you're into Korean movies.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  21. Scott222C

Currently watching TV Series "CHIMERA" - very good, didn't think it would be, but it is, really starting to take off with Episode 4 ....

Have watched "JIRISAN" - a bit of a mixed bag, but some really good episodes, I finished it and gladly did so.

Watched 5 Episodes of "HAPPINESS" but it is too stupid and derivative, so I stopped and I just couldn't stand the female lead - at all.

Also watching "SKY CASTLE" for 10 episodes now - didn't think it would be for me, but it is very, very good and I stayed with it - recommended !

Bruce Racket likes this.
  22. Bruce Racket

Cool thanks for the recommendations.

23. Jazzmonkie

The Netflix series "My Name" is very good too.

wolfram and Bruce Racket like this.
  24. Bruce Racket

Thanks, I'll check that one out too. I just tossed one onto my Netflix list called "Strangers From Hell". Not recommending it yet, I don't know anything about it except it's Korean and supposed to be a thriller. I haven't even watched the first episode yet.

25. Scott222C

Well "STRANGERS FROM HELL" is freakin awesome ... highly recommended !

Bruce Racket likes this.