Kraftwerk - Colored Vinyl Albums rerelease

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by negative1, Sep 8, 2020.

1. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

That’s how it looks to me. There’s a sticker on the front of each one which says “Farbiges Vinyl” but that’s all as far as I can make out!

2. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

Just ordered all 8 from Rough Trade - free shipping $195.00. I had been meaning to add Kraftwerk to my collection for a long time now. Job done.

Derek Slazenger and Mazzy like this.
  3. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Received my copies of TEE, DMM and CW today. Looks great, haven't spun them yet though.

4. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

That Spanish EC might prove difficult to find and very expensive...
    These pressings are great for those foreign-language versions of course.
    I take it that you already own the French TEE and the Japanese CW?

negative1 likes this.
  5. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan Thread Starter

Electric Cafe - There are several copies on discogs, and expensive, but I finally
    have enough to get one. As the tracks are exclusive to vinyl.

French - Trans Europe Express
    On my list to get, but it takes lower priority, as I have those tracks on CD already.

Japanese - Computer World
    I already have this on CD, so its a lower priority to get this on vinyl also.

Just for someday, when I'm in a Kraftwerk mood, or a cheap copy comes up.

I dont buy too many foreign copies, so I have to look for other titles and groups,
    to make a purchase considering shipping.

later

6. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

You have the TOCP-8974 with the 'Dentaku' (Pocket Calculator) bonus track?

negative1 likes this.
  7. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan Thread Starter

Correct, its a reissue.

I also have the US longbox release (which is the first cd i ever bought, several months before i even had a cd player),
    the US LP, the German CD, and the German LP.

Down the road, will get the UK LP, the Canadian LP, Japanese LP, the US cassette, UK cassette, and possibly some from other regions.

later

c-eling and Sytze like this.
  8. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Apart from the colour vinyl sticker on the front and a reverse sticker with a specific barcode, yes.

LivingForever likes this.
  9. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I haven't heard all of the 2009 remasters yet - though I bought the German language coloured vinyl editions today and did a sample test on each album to check that they were German editions (they are) - and listened to the coloured vinyl Autobhan and followed it with the Autobahn 3-D version. The 2020 coloured vinyl versions, well Autobahn at least, use the same 2009 matrices as the Mute versions as STUMM303 is the ident in the groove.

There are very, very slight differences in my opinion between the German and English versions of the albums: it's not just different vocal performances, but also different musical performances on at least some of the songs. In short, the band probably played these songs live in their studio, recording the vocal at the same time, under controlled conditions : it's not just two identical instrumental mixes with different vocal tracks overlaid on the same bed. For example, I listened to "Computer Love"/"Computer Liebe" simultaneously, and the fade out on the German edition is slightly longer, as well as the effects are slightly different - not substantially, but definitely different, like they tried to replicate the effect for both but because they were performed by humans, it can't be an exact replica.

As far as I can tell, though I haven't listened to all of the 2009 remasters that were issued yesterday, these differences have been preserved from the 1980's German CD Editions.

Hopefully nobody minds, I've done a sort of video review of the coloured vinyl editions which, thanks to the memory capacity in my phone, means I can only record about 40 minutes at a time, so I've uploaded it in three parts, as well as providing a tour of the bands entire body of work at the same time. The first part is above.

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Never heard of this before but I just took a look at my copy and... hey.... it has "G.K " in the deadwax. Which is funny since I have always been unhappy that "Ralf & Florian" was virtually the only Kraftwerk album in my collection that wasn't a German original and I never thought much of it. So this cut is good?

c-eling likes this.
  11. Neonbeam

A local store has all German colour editions for 21€ each. Which ones would be recommended? I already have these titles but.... :angel:

12. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Did the original Exceller 8 ever come with a poster? Or is that a myth? - I've never seen one...

13. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

Thanks for this. Actually started a thread about English vs German differences a couple of weeks back but no one replied. I picked up the 6 German coloured reissues on Friday but are saving them for some time off work later in the month.

I’d be really interested to know if the German musical/mix differences have indeed been preserved for the 2009 masters if anyone can confirm? Thanks!

14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'm happy with it Neon. Of course I don't have like 15 other mastering's/cut's to compare it to. :laugh:
    In my life I've ever only seen this title twice out in the wild.

Neonbeam likes this.
  15. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

As far as I can tell, yes. The only audio differences are the swap of LP mix of "Der Telefon Anruf" for the 7"+"House Phone" mixes.

16. Neonbeam

You probably are thinking of the original Philips version of "Ralf & Florian".

"Exceller 8" never had a poster. But maybe somebody put it in there as "private extra". A friend once found "Exile On Main Str." with vintage in-store hype poster.

17. Neonbeam

If counterfeits do count I see this quite frequently! :biglaugh:

But seriously: This album didn't sell as well as the first two so even here in Germany 1973 originals are nowhere as common as "Kraftwerk" and "Kraftwerk 2". And unlike them they were always - at least since the late 90's - 50+ Deutsch Marrrks. That is without poster. If this is included we are easily looking at a three figure sum. Recently I almost bought one for 250€. But then I decided against it.

c-eling likes this.
  18. c-eling

Good God man!
    My other local, the one that prices stuff somewhat beyond fair retail (20 bucks for a MWH-Rhythm of Youth?, yeah right :crazy:) had a 'Kraftwerk' priced (iirc) around 80.00 last winter. Think I passed due to condition. I should pop back in and see if it's still there.

Neonbeam likes this.
  19. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut

Whats the best one for a relative newbie to get into ?

20. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

It might depend on what else you’re into really. If you like stuff like LCD Soundsystem, then The Man Machine would be a good starting point. If you’re into proggy stuff then maybe Autobahn or Trans Europe Express. If you like techno/dance then Tour De France might be for you. Computer World is also fantastic though. You can’t go too far wrong to be honest. I’d say The Man Machine might be the best starting point then you can branch out forwards or back from there.

21. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Radio Activity.

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

One I rec as well for a starting point :)

23. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

If you don't know much of the material, I'd suggest The Mix. It's a sort of Best Of/Greatest Hits/ Live In The Studio 1990 album which is by no means their best album, but designed as the best entry point. If you don't like it, no other album will really do it, I think.

24. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

As a starting point, what about the recent 3D ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ) live sampler? Yes they're live reworks but faithful renditions, it covers the ground and functions as a 'Best-Of'. Pick your next point of call from there.

25. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I’d agree with that. It’s the one that hooked me in - plus the currently available vinyl edition is one of the best-sounding records in my whole collection.