KTTV-11 Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grant, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Channel 18 was the most generic station I ever seen. The signal was terrible even though it was a cable station at the point I started watching it. Some other reruns were cool though.

You guys make me feel like an old fart pining for the good ol' days.

2. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

KTTV, way back when

I remember when KTTV was the original CBS affliate in L.A. They were owned by the L.A. Times and then became Times-MGM television. That's when they aired all the great MGM films. The also had Sheriff John hosting a kids show for years. And the afternoon movie hosts: Dude Martin, Bill Leyden and Ed Reimers. And Paul Coates "Confidential File". Also local newscaster George Putnam. I worked with Putnam when he moved to KTLA in the late 60's.The 50's are when the local tv stations had those syndicated shows. KTTV showed "Highway Patrol" "Sheriff of Cochise" among others. Good stuff, uncomplicated and the whole family could watch.

3. billh

billh Senior Member

I saw Sheriff John back then--he was signing autographs at a grocery store in Lakewood. I remember he had quite a dark "five o'clock shadow" and it was probably morning. I used to like watching "Highway Patrol." And the Dodgers. Channell 11 showed all the games played at Candlestick Park against the Giants.

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

No more good guys like Engineer Bill, that's for sure... :(

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The Odd Couple and The Honeymooners have actually been back on "Channel 11" since last (I think) last October (or was it later on in September?) :thumbsup:, but at 2:30 & 3:00 am :sigh: - earlier on the weekends though. They even did an "Odd Couple" marathon during this past Thanksgiving weekend, hosted by Tony Randall. They also still do "The Honeymooners" New Years' marathon.

Don't know about the other two shows, but I don't think they're on Channel 11 now.

6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That was the "MovieLoft" station, right? WSBK? I remember getting that station on cable years ago when I was younger.

7. Danny

Danny Senior Member

I didn't know about the OC marathon, but I always try to watch some of the 'mooners on New Years Day. I watched some of it with my kids this year, they seemed to like it. In fact, every time something B&W comes on the TV, my 4 year old says "Is this the Honeymooners?".

Danny

8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yup.

9. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

KTTV back when, again

I mentioned several KTTV personalties of the 50's in my previous post. But not to be neglected was Bill Welch. He was the all purpose on camera guy. News, sports, booth announcer, pitch man and show host. He was at KTTV for probably 40 years. He hosted in the mid 50's a show called "Star Shoppers" The ch.11 remote crew would visit various neighborhood markets and Bill would host contests with local shoppers ect. They showed up at the market my family shopped at one morning. I was about 11 eleven years old. They picked me to wrangle the camera cable during the live single camera telecast. My first experience with a tv broadcast. My payment for this honor...a 6 pack of coke. Being a tv junkie even then, I'd have given them my meger allowence to be that close to a real tv camera.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.