Kubrick references in The Simpsons

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wolfram, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm Thread Starter

One more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In case it doesn't show:

Attached Files:

2. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I never was a big Simpsons fan, but all these Kubrick refrences are very cool. I gotta get hold of some of the DVD sets of the older stuff.

3. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Actually, Kubrick was a big fan of Groening's comic book work When the first season aired, Kubrick would have vhs copies sent of the episodes to him when the show started at the end of '89. Groening found out about this and begin inserting Kubrick references shortly after. I believe "The Shinning" was the first major one used.

If I recall, The Simpsons and football games of the N.Y. Jets were the two tv shows he had copies sent of.

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

On at least one of the DVD commentaries, the crew jokes that they've done so many Kubrick & Hitchcock parodies, there's probably no famous scenes left to do. I think "Gone With the Wind" was also mentioned as one of their most frequently parodied films.

5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Awesome! I never made the connection either. Cool! :righton:

dan c

6. Neither did I until I read this thread! This is a good example of the subtlety of the best Simposns reference-humour; you don't need to "get" the reference to appreciate the scene, but it adds another layer of humour if you do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.