DCC Archive Kudos to the DCC art department...!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

...for all of the unsung hard work that they do in duplicating (and sometimes re-creating) the artwork to complement Steve's disc mastering efforts.

And if I may, I'd like to give them an extra cheer for what I must say is one of the best package designs that I've seen by an independent CD company: the cover design work on Elvis' "24 kt. Hits" is one of the most perfect design simulations that I've seen-- had I not known differently, I would've been prepared to swear that it was a period piece of work by RCA. Well done, all!!

That's it... just wanted to take this opportunity raise a glass on behalf of the folks that we sometimes take for granted!!

-Kevin

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Thanks, that means a lot to us.

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Hey Steve, who handles the art reproduction for DCC? And who handles tracking down the originals? You?

I was really surprised at how good the cover to "Workin'" is on DCC. The OJC wasn't bad, but when you put them side by side, you could see how much better the DCC was. Little things that make the purchase that much more special.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Jerry Tolmich of DCC tracks down the originals. He's been in the record business since 1945. He can find anything.

We have the most amazing color seperator and artwork restorer. Great work, but very costly.

Marcia McGovern, before she retired this year, did all the coordination of art, type, logos, etc. She proofread everything as well. We all miss her... :(

When we start up again, Katie will be doing it.

5. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Be sure and pass along our kudos, Steve.

6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Don't forget Wheels of Fire - magnificent!!! :)

7. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I wholeheartedly agree that DCC does a wonderful job replicating the cover art, right down to the embossing!

However, why did you folks use a Columbia Record Club copy of the Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits 1971-1974 album sleeve to scan from? The "CRC" is visible in the bottom left corner of the back cover, I believe (I don't have it in front of me).

Kym

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I admit I've taken the art department for granted. But now here's my hats off to those guys and gals. Great work, no complaints here. Loved the cover of Elvis' 24 Karat Hits, Eagles and Linda Ronstadt's Greatest Hits Vols. I and II, Doors L.A. Woman and the list goes on!

9. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I agree ... the attention to detail displayed in DCC's artwork is exemplary.

I especially like Joni Mitchell's "Court & Spark" CD (the booklet is a great fascimile of the original LP sleeve, right down to the texture of the paper), and the fact that the "Highway 61 Revisited" issue mirrors the original LP design MUCH more closely.

10. John Buchanan

MoFi was never as good with their CD booklets as DCC. There was some loud grumbling over at alt.music.jethro-tull when War Child was released with very poor printing of the original LP rear cover. The CD booklets always seemed slightly blurry compared with DCC's efforts

11. Unknown

Unknown Guest

They didn't used the original films on the most cover reproductions... they scanned the original cover artwork and used a lot of Photoshop stuff...

12. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I agree that the Mofi CDs booklets were really bad, in general. They were not faithful to the original conception of the artwork, and took great liberties with adding new photos etc. that weren't that good. To add insult to injury, the typography they used was generally pretty bad.

A lot of people wouldn't give a hoot, but I feel these things are important - and DCC does it much better.

13. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

I like the repros of the original record labels, too. :D

14. John Buchanan

When MoFi did their version of Wheels of Fire, it was in the black on grey. I presume DCC did the black on silver for the vinyl and CD?........ I'm old enough to remember having the original Atco vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.