Kurt Cobain’s ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ Guitar Auctions for Nearly $5 Million

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, May 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

2. ropiyas

ropiyas Forum Resident

Interesting.
    Also, I did not know that Cobain's acoustic (used in the Unplugged) is the most expensive guitar ever sold at an auction.

MikaelaArsenault and 905 like this.
  3. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Didn’t Kurt ask David Geffen for money to buy Lead Belly’s guitar? Imagine how much that would be worth now.

MikaelaArsenault, 905 and ropiyas like this.
  4. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Springsteen's handwritten lyrics for Born To Run.....44 grand? Doesn't that seem relatively cheap?

Dan

MikaelaArsenault, Lewisboogie and dee like this.
  5. PaulKTF

Yeah... I mean it's one of the most popular songs in the history of rock. I would have expected that to go for quite a bit more.

MikaelaArsenault, 905 and dee like this.
  6. dee

dee Senior Member

In a large frame if possible or under glass. Gee at 44k that was probably chump change for some buyers. Another 0 added to the price would seem too much, but who's to say.

7. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Honestly, Im surprised it went for only $5 million.

8. PaulKTF

Really? I mean... $4.5 million is a lot of money for any one instrument no matter how historically signifigant it is.

9. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Yes, it is a lot. But I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that it could've gone for even more, especially when you consider that it already went for millions more than anticipated. This wasn't just a guitar that appeared in a famous music video; it was also KC's favorite guitar, which he played on two of Nirvana's most iconic albums.

That said, John Lennon's Gibson J-160E went for only half that back in 2015. So, I suppose I see your point too.

10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I remember seeing Jimi Hendrix guitar going for $1 million, but Pawn Stars wouldn't pony up the money. Sounds like a bargain now.

11. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

there’s a hell of a lot of wealth slopping around, with people looking to spread to assets at the moment. The value of this is only likely to increase.

Solly Bridgetower likes this.
  12. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Rick Harrison was a fool.

13. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

I think the price will only go down to be honest - although I suppose it depends how rich you are and how much you rate Nirvana. But, as an example, Elvis Presley memorabilia is starting to tank now that the main market is literally dying off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.