Kurt Russell as Elvis

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Price.pittsburgh, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's the entire playlist to the 1979 Kurt Russell Elvis movie.
    As much as I love the new 2022 film and Austin Butler's performance, I still think Kurt did a great job too. He didn't have the 2 years to study all things Elvis, or the resources. I also think that for the 1950s Elvis, just talking, walking around, body mannerisms and facial expressions, he reminds me more of that era's Elvis. He also has the higher more accurate "hillbilly" accent of 50s Elvis. Austin Butler nails the on stage Elvis for all eras. Kurt isn't bad, a bit over the top but pretty good for when it was all we had that was decent. I think Austin is better as the late 60s early 70s Elvis for all aspects. At that point Kurt starts to feel more like Kurt to me. Regardless, I still have a lot of love for this Kurt Russell movie. It has it's inaccuracies like all biopics, but a good performance nevertheless.
    ELVIS⚡️(Kurt Russell) 1979 TV Movie Intro (ABC) - YouTube

2. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

He plays an Elvis type character to nice effect in 3000 Miles to Graceland.

3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Austin Butler has definitely made his mark in cinematic history for becoming the definitive Elvis in Baz Luhrmann's stupendous biopic. Nevertheless, I still think Kurt Russell did a really nice job as Elvis in that television movie so many years ago. I also dig Kurt singing Santa Claus Is Back in Town in his fine holiday movie, The Christmas Chronicles. Kurt, just like Austin, is also a really nice guy.

4. Price.pittsburgh

I think Kurt just had a very natural Elvis like vibe to him anyway. He has always reminded me of Elvis a bit through out the years. Austin to his credit was more transformed as an actor, which is why he doesn't remind me of Elvis when not portraying him

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

is this streaming anywhere other than youtube??

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Not seeing it on any of the listings. Blu-ray is on sale at Amazon for $20 or $14 at Shout Factory.

Blu-ray review: Elvis Blu-ray

A note: if you have a Roku streaming box, you can do a search on there and see where it's available to rent, buy or stream; it'll even indicate needs subscription if it's hiding on a paid service. Not sure if a Firestick or other streaming box will do that.

Vidiot and Michael like this.
  8. Price.pittsburgh

I couldn't find anything myself. I own the DVD from about a decade ago that I ordered eBay I think. But this guys YouTube playlist isn't too bad for free. I flows in order

Michael likes this.
  9. 80steen

80steen John McClane

For a low budget made for TV movie it could be argued that it's just as good a movie in it's own right

10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I may be the only one, but if I had to pick, I'd take the 'Elvis (1979)' Kurt Russell over the new 'Elvis' film.

ssmith3046, skisdlimit, mace and 6 others like this.
  11. BeatleJWOL

Nah, there's two other people who have posted in the thread about how much they hated the new Elvis flick.

12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Oh lol!
    I didn't hate the new one, it was good, but I'll get more longevity out of the original however at this time.

13. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

"Unchained Melody" sung at the Graceland home piano has always been a favorite rendition of mine.

Whatever happened to Season Hubley?

RSteven likes this.
  14. Michael

thanks...

15. Michael

thanks I'll check it out...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. Three Elvis Fans Can’t Be Wrong

;)

While I think Kurt is great as Elvis, Austin just hits it out of the park. Nice to have two strong performances to enjoy.

17. BeatleJWOL

Rick Bartlett, RSteven and Shawn like this.
  18. Michael

without a doubt! loved it when it first appeared on TV...

RSteven likes this.
  19. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

It was good enough to be a hit on the big screen in this part of the world

Price.pittsburgh and Myke like this.
  20. Price.pittsburgh

Nothing wrong with that view at all. There are some things I prefer about the Kurt Russell movie. Shelly Winters as Gladys, Bing Russell as Vernon, that Elvis' hair is brown at first then dyed black later on, Elvis conversation with Marion at Sun where he says he sings all kinds and he don't sound like nobody, Elvis being rejected by the Grand Ole Opry and told to stick to driving a truck. (The scene may be inaccurate since it was an actual live performance where he was turned away after, and it may have been Eddie Bond who used the truck line for that failed audition with his band, but it get s the point across that he was told to stick to driving a truck and rejected by the Opry) Showing him only from the waist up on Sullivan. (Inaccurate that it makes it appear to be on his first appearance on Sullivan that they do that instead of the third one, but again it covers it) I wish the 79 movie would have showed a bit more of his R&B and Blues roots, but it does show him listening to Tiger Man in the truck and him singing on the porch as a kid with the black neighbors. Also, as I said in the OP, just Kurt in the 50s with his mannerisms and speaking voice.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Rick Bartlett and Shawn like this.
  21. Aldecoa

Aldecoa Forum Resident

The Kurt Russell/John Carpenter Elvis is awesome! I remember when I was a kid and it was shown on TV, I caught a glimpse of it at my buddy's house and got upset when my friend's dad turned the channel. The first time I got to see it, it was the VHS version that ran a hair under 2 hours (not the broadcast version). In the early days of the internet; I was able to get a bootleg copy of the television version on VHS. I then got the Shout versions on DVD and Blu-Ray in recent years. The funny thing about the Shout version is that it includes all the scenes in the televised version, plus scenes that were only in the two hour VHS (also released outside North America in cinemas), then some additional scenes I had never seen before. The additional scenes, most of them don't work well. A scene of Dodger on the piano playing a Christmas tune that goes on forever, a scene of Priscilla working out in a karate gi that goes on forever and another where she's doing ballet. The VHS/overseas theatrical had Elvis singing Burning Love at the Vegas scene. It was omitted on the Shout release (perhaps because they couldn't get legal clearance?). Of course Elvis hadn't recorded Burning Love yet at that point, but I kinda dig watching Kurt lip sync/perform it.

skisdlimit, RSteven, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  22. Michael

Kurt Russell is my favorite Elvis movie...THE NEW ELVIS movie I have some issues for sure ...I'll leave it at that...other than that I LIKED IT!

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  23. Price.pittsburgh

Yeah, I own it n dvd but not sure which version it is. I do recall there being a difference between a version I had taped off of tv on vhs and the dvd. Seems like Gladys yelling for Elvis when he runs home in the storm wasn't on one of them. I'll have to check and see if Burning Love is on my dvd or not. If Shout is the only one that had it on dvd than I guess it won't be. I do recall him doing Burning Love on some version I had.

24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I loved the part where Kurt plays guitar and sings "Love Me". That's my favorite Elvis song and I especially like it done in this style.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Did this play over two nights when it originally aired on TV in 1979?