LA Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by James Glennon, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

What's their address?

2. Is the Penny Lane the same one that was at one time located in Venice, CA?

3. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Freakbeat on Ventura is one I regularly visit. It's small, but I've found some real gems there. They have a .99 cent clearance section that takes a while to go through, but I've found some really cool things in it. (Plus, they have a bathroom that customers can use -- hallelujah!)

Atomic in Burbank on Magnolia I still visit fairly often, though I haven't found anything really great there for a while.

Orphaned CDs on Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood. The place is a mess, but I've found some cheap CD singles I was looking for there.

Penny Lane on Colorado in Pasadena, but I didn't think they had a real great selection last time I was there.

Canterbury Records in Pasadena, close to the corner of Colorado and Lake. They have a fairly small used section, but I've found some great OOP CDs there. The store specializes in jazz, vocals, and oldies, but they've got a little of everything. They also have new vinyl, plus a discount section in front of the window on the left when you walk in. All around my favorite (and most visited) record store. (But then, oldies is my thing too.)

4. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

If in Burbank.. You'll certainly want to hit Freakbeat, Amoeba, and Atomic.

If it's the weekend, it's certainly worth heading up the 101 to CD Trader.

Between those four stores, you should have a pretty good haul to make your carry-on experience miserable on the trip home. :righton:

You may also want to try Don's Records in Eagle Rock. Make sure you call before you visit, as it seems to be hit or miss as to whether he's open (regardless of store hours).

While you're down that way, you might as well hit Rockaway records. It's only a couple miles down the road.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

:shh: ;)

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Just got back from Record Surplus on Pico with a TOO LOW FOR ZERO target. I always find something there, despite it being vinyl-centric.

7. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I was just in Pepperland a couple of weeks ago. They are still there but not quite the stock of music they previously carried. You can still find a good used gem in there sometimes though. I still try to go by there every couple months or so to check things out .

8. jeffrosen

jeffrosen Forum Resident

Rockaway still hanging in there to with some excellent stock in all formats. If you are in town the 1st sunday of the month there is (or I believe still is) the swap meet at Pasadena City College.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Record Trader is my favorite among the stores still standing. Good turnover, mostly nice people working there, and the occasional big bargain in the cheapo bins...I liked the one they opened on Reseda near Ventura Blvd, in the Valley...too bad it closed the day of the big earthquake there (building condemned) and never reopened elsewhere...

Of course, those were the days where you could still find good record stores (plural) in the Valley.

10. Andrew

They have a better than average classical section, too.

11. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

12. Andrew

Looks like the old "West Coast Record News" from the 1990s?

13. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I went to these three last week:
    Amoeba Music (Hollywood)
    Atomic Records (Burbank)
    Rockaway Records (Silver Lake)

Amoeba - I've been to the SF and Berkley so no surprise....I found several $2-$4 early 80's nice vinyl items I wanted:
    * label compliations for $2: UK Slash Cuts compilation, Restless Variations, IRS Greatest Hits Vol 1
    * 12" singles from XTC, Alarm, Elvis Costello

Atomic - this was a good stop...mostly used vinyl and most well priced $3-$10 plus some CDs
    * Sealed Cars Anthology w/glitter slip case $15
    * Procol Harum's 2nd brown A&M $4 EX or better
    * Led Zeppelin - Song Remains the same - Japanese - NM $23
    * Barracudas - rareties $10 like new

Rockaway Records
    * 6 Beatles butcher block covers on the wall
    * stuff on the wall seemed over priced (ie a 45 I sold on ebay for $10 in auction was $75) but more common things seemed affordable
    I bought:
    * OJC The Modern Jazz Quartet - Concorde
    * OJC Monks Music $6 CD
    * Isley Bros story vol 1 & 2 (3 cds for around $22 total OOP)

14. Andrew

The wife and I have an April vacation planned, hopefully these places will still be around then! (Never been to Atomic, Soundstations nor Freakbeat)

15. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I don't know, but there's a Penny Lane in Burbank (just off the "main" San Fernando strip) - maybe it's closed.

BTW - there's more than one Virgin in LA? The one at 8000 Sunset closed a bit back, though the one at Hwd/Highland seems to be doing pretty well still (though the rent must be a killer).

Last night at Amoeba on Cahuenga in Hollywood I picked up a used copy of the OOP Honeybus 2-disc comp, "She Flies Like a Bird" for only $13.99 - it was pretty busy there!

They've still got a big selection, though they didn't have a single Gerry Rafferty release except for one used copy of "City to City".

And not ONE Bobby Sherman disc or comp - new or otherwise.

It's not like the old days, but it's holding on - especially if you like varied music like old blues, jazz, soundtracks or other non-pop stuff.

Jeff

16. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

This is precisely why I no longer stop in at Rockaway. I understand that people need to make a living. However, everything that I've seen that's interested me in the past year or so, has been at a premium to ebay prices.

However, someone MUST be buying, no?

17. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

That's been closed at least two years, maybe longer

I have purchased Bobby Sherman vinyl and CDs there recently. The inventory fluctuates tremendously :uhhuh:

Hey Capt, how's the vinyl selection at CD Trader these days?

18. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

My guess is that some stores have a few items they price really high and dont' really care if they don't sell...they like having them on the wall and will only sell if they get a ton...then there are premium items they price higher than ebay but still within the relm of selling (ie they get the most they can)...some of these must sell....

I have a store near me with $50+ items that have been in stock for years...heck a lot of their $15 stuff has been there for years. i think places can stay in business selling common new and used items and have a stock of collectible items that just collect dust.

Rockaway for example, had some recent releases new for real low prices....Genesis CD box was the lowest I've seen, latest Pretenders CD under $10 new, and more common used items were typical. For rare items they did seem way too expense, however.

19. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

My experience with Rockaway at this last summer's Beatlefest in Chicago was not a very good one.

There were 2 guys there one would talk and the other guy who was completely useless just muttered anytime you asked a question with something incomprehensible. The "talker" wouldn't deal at all with pricing even though most vendors there will do this. Their prices were very inflated with many better deals just a table or two away.

20. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Eh, decent. I definitely don't look for my must-have vinyl there - CD Trader is my down-the-street stop for new releases, though. I haven't really hunted for vinyl there, though it still takes up about 1/4 of the store - they are still in the used vinyl biz. It's definitely active. People trading, etc. New release vinyl is more iffy, though they do stock up a shelf or two.

Jeff

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

In all fairness to the guys at Rockaway, I have always found that their rare stuff is not "overpriced" but "priced at the high end of the market". Their knowledge of collectible stuff is quite good, especially with respect to the Beatles. I have bought some rare stuff from them over the years, and willingly paid the market price.

I must admit that I cringe when I see those items on the wall. Even that high up, they must be getting too much light, no?

Great place for new releases.

22. RDK

RDK Active Member

Rockaway has a great sale on vinyl right now, with (most) LPs priced below $50 between 50-70% off. I've found them very good to bargain with on pricier items as well, especially if they've been in the store for a month or two.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Like what items did you see that were a good deal? Anything worth bargaining for?

I've walked out empty handed so many times in the past because I did not have $400 to $1,000 to play around with at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.