Lab 12 Pre 1 Tube Preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by maycontainmultitudes, Apr 5, 2022.

1. maycontainmultitudes

maycontainmultitudes Audiophail Thread Starter

Curious if anyone has experience with the Greek brand Lab 12, and specifically their Pre 1 tube preamp. I’ve been looking for a reasonably priced tube Pre with at least 5 inputs, and theirs seems to fit the bill. The brand just got a shout out in the most recent Audiophiliac YouTube video in an interview with the Sound By Singer proprietor.

pre1 - lab12

(11:00 mark for the mention of the Lab 12 gear)

Khorn likes this.
  2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I like the no nonsense clean layout. Wonder what those tubes sound like. Looks like it can pilot a reasonably extensive system. More good equipment needed in its price range.

3. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

Im also a big fan of simple. No fuss,no muss! For me,it’s volume and source selection. Lab12 Pre1 looks very interesting.

4. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Looks like around $2200 in the US, which puts in in with some strong competition, new and used (my Conrad-Johnson Premier 17LS2 was just $2500 in near mint condition). Looks like a nice design, clean and symmetrical circuit board layout, not really much there, motorized potentiometer, don't like the routing of the input cables right next to the power transformer, though toroids do contain the magnetic field much more...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  5. maycontainmultitudes

I don’t love that the power switch is on the rear of the unit, but I understand it’s for EU safety reasons? Would be less phased with a SS unit that you leave powered on.

6. maycontainmultitudes

Took the plunge and ordered the Lab 12 Pre 1 in black today. I keep reading amazing things about the combo of a solid state power amp and a tube preamp, so I'm excited to enter this realm. This'll be a huge upgrade from the pre out I'm using from my integrated NAD C370 (circa 2000).

7. Khorn

Anxious to hear what this thing can do. Straight forward design with enough high level inputs for any desired sources. Of course you’ll run it initially with the supplied stock tubes to get a base line then maybe experiment later.
    Hopefully there’s a long and winding road ahead in your audiophile journey and I’m sure we’ll all enjoy travelling along. Please keep us informed of any developments.

8. maycontainmultitudes

Will do! The unit runs a pair of 6922 valves, so I’ll for sure be curious to play with different tube options. The pre isn’t known for being too warm, and I might want to experiment with a warmer tube set in the future.

Khorn likes this.
  9. Khorn

Should be a great combo with the N.E.W. amp as the amp is pretty smooth sounding Class A.

10. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

In the same price range, to me, the Rogue RP-1 is a more sophisticated machine.
    I am using the RP-1 with a NAD C275BEE and it is a wonderful combination.

11. Khorn

You should be able to hear the immediate signature of the pre as that amp is very musical and resolving. I’ve used tube preamps with it before and that is one reason that prompted my recent change back to a tube pre.
    My previous SS preamp an Accustic Arts was no slouch by any means it’s just that tubes make my system really “sing”.

Looking forward to what this new unit will do as it in a very affordable price range that could be accessible by many.

maycontainmultitudes likes this.
  12. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I demo'd the DAC 1 ref today through a LAB 12 system. The Pre 1 is very nice. Fit and finish is very good. Volume control has a nice quality feel. So does the input encoder. Remote is OK , nothing special but works as it should. Nice piece for the money, all of their stuff seems to be

13. maycontainmultitudes

I finally got delivery of my Lab 12 Pre 1 yesterday. Only had time to set it up and listen to a few tracks, so I’ll reserve comments for a bit (the manual also suggests a 150 hour break in period). But so far I'm loving the minimal looks, and fit and finish, and early impressions of the sound are super promising.

[​IMG]

eis01, Art K, mreeter and 12 others like this.
  14. Khorn

Congrats
    The clean no nonsense design that can fit in with many components is impressive. Now we’ll be awaiting your evaluation of the “feel” and of course the SQ performance.

15. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Be sure to follow up. I think LAB 12 gear is a lot of bang for the buck . Enjoy!

16. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Anyone interested in LAB 12 in the New England area can see the whole line at Fidelis in Nashua NH. Great store, they are the US distributor for LAB 12 also. The Pre 1 is very nice, I auditioned my DAC 1 through it and the Suara Good stuff !!!

17. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Love the nice, clean look! But black screws would have been more fitting imho.

18. Khorn

Love the “top hat” knobs.

19. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I realize I posted something similar a while back but I really like their stuff. Solid build and feel. Great sound.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  20. Khorn

I’ve heard really good things specially about the sound quality. Now that my cousin @maycontainmultitudes got his yesterday I’m very interested in his opinion as he’s a very discerning listener. The big thing here is the performance to price ratio in this extremely vital “step up” area of the market.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  21. Helom

Helom Forum member

Any more opinion on this tube pre? I’m considering trying one.

22. maycontainmultitudes

I've only been living with the Pre 1 for over a week, but so far I am VERY impressed. I'm coming from using the preamp stage in a NAD C370 integrated, so any dedicated pre was probably going to be an upgrade. BUT I'm noticing a dramatically larger (taller and closer) soundstage, and on some familiar tracks I'm hearing instruments that I couldn't hear previously. On the last point I'd suggest this makes it a revealing preamp. I'm most impressed about how much more the music fills my room, and also surprised at how full the sound is even at lower volumes. Functionally, the volume dial is incredibly well dampened and the input selector dial changes with authoritative clicks (it's a pleasing almost ASMR sound). The power switch at the rear did seem odd and annoying, but it hasn't really been an issue or major annoyance. I obviously need to spend more time with the unit and let it break in some more. But I'd say it's 100% worth trying out.

23. Khorn

Great for the positive “feel” of the input selector and of course the Alps volume pot. These features have always been important to me. Let us know what else you discover. Seems like a very competent and diversified control amp.

24. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

A question, and I didn't see an answer to this on the their website, what's with the left/right output leds?

25. maycontainmultitudes

I think they’re just indicators that the channels are functioning. In the one minute warm up period, all three lights flash.

jonwoody and Khorn like this.