"Lamb" (new A24 film) released 10/08/21

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Jul 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

Icelandic folktale on top, Nordic livestock horror on bottom.

Anyone else intrigued by this one? Many of my favorite recent movies (The Witch, Under The Silver Lake, Midommar, etc.) have come from A24, so I'm always interested in what they're putting out. Stars Noomi Rapace who's a good choice for this kind of role, I think.

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Kinda reminds me of the cow that gave birth to a human child in HBO's "30 Coins"!

Hope the animals win in this one......

unclefred likes this.
  3. agentalbert

I'm looking forwad to this one, plan to see it this weekend if I can. A note from the director:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello friends,

On my recent travels with my first feature film Lamb, I have been asked many questions that I had no answers to. It has made me very happy to hear the different and inspiring interpretations from both audiences and journalists.

It is hard to say where ideas come from, they are all around, everywhere and always. After the film premiered in my home country Iceland, my mother brought me a diary that I had written at the age of 18. In it, I had documented my dreams, and in one of the dreams there are huge rams roaming around in fields. This is something I had completely forgotten about, but they still ended up in María’s dream in the film twenty-plus years later.

[​IMG]

When I started working on the film, me, my co-writer Sjón and producers made a promise to always stay true to the story and the film we set out to do. From the beginning I wanted to make a film that I wanted to see, one that I had not seen before.

I directed two short films before Lamb, and have been active in the film industry for about 20 years as a crew member in all different departments: art, SFX, lighting, animal wrangling and more. So when I made Lamb, I knew the crew very well from my days on set with them, standing in rain storms for many hours or spending days in the dusty highlands filming big studio films. One of those films, Prometheus, was where I first saw Noomi Rapace. I picked up a part of her shoe that broke off while she was filming. I gave it back to her while shooting Lamb. She had not missed it and did not remember me.

[​IMG]

I‘ve always considered Lamb a family drama with one surreal element. It was also made by a family of film professionals — my wife Hrönn and her daughter Sara produced the film, my son in-law Eli shot the film, my daughter Sigrún was the production coordinator, my youngest daughter Elsa was the chef‘s assistant, my brother Helgi was one of the animal trainers and the art director is my best childhood friend. I sometimes thought about the absurdity of this but in the end I couldn‘t be more happy to have had the people that I love and trust the most, surrounding me during the difficult yet joyous journey of making Lamb.

Sincerely

Valdimar Jóhannsson

poppys likes this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Sooooo...I'm guessing this isn't a sequel to Pig...?

Ignatius likes this.
  5. agentalbert

Saw this today and it was certainly less creepy than I expected. I'd barely call it "horror" at all, only broadly fitting into that genre as it doesn't fit anywhere else. I enjoyed it, but thought more would happen. The "effect" as it is for the creature works pretty well. Noomi Rapace was good, and the outdoor photography of the bleak Iceland countryside is striking. There's one scene that looks like a giant marsh, as if a rice patty extended in all directions are far as you could see.

7/10 overall. Interesting, maybe a bit underwhelming for my expectations.

6. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I love The Witch and Midsommar.

Lamb is a moody arthouse slow burn with an ending written by SNL writers spoofing the same.

A horrible combination.

However, many people liked this more than I did.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Virtually plotless. I doubt there was a script. Half the film is the couple doing their chores and misty landscapes. The rest is ridiculous.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  8. agentalbert

Plotless? I don't see that at all. I just don't think the movie delivered. I expected more sense of dread, and more to happen in the third act.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Plotless in the sense there were no complications in the entire second act of the film (except the brother showing up and trying to bang the wife? :confused:)

10. agentalbert

There was whether or not he'd kill the thing, before he decided to treat it just like they were. But I guess I see your point a bit. Not enough happened.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Way too loose and without story for a feature film. They might have being going for naturalism, but now wasn't the time.

12. poppys

poppys Senior Member

Caught this movie by accident yesterday on Showtime and I loved it.

13. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

You had me at 'livestock horror'...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.