Landing on Water by Neil Young - incredibly underrated!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I assume the same people who LOVE this album, are the same 'group' who love "McCartney II"!!!
    "..and God, I know, I'm one!"

John Bliss likes this.
  2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

"Total crap" sounds appropriate!

EricSwan and chrisblower like this.
  3. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Is that "indie musicology" in action ? You missed a couple of references here, doctor.

From "Best Neil Young albums" (Post #33, October 14, 2015)
    From "Neil Young Official Series 8.5-12" (post #237, December 1, 2016)
    "Some of those 80s records (Trans and Landing on Water for me) are unique gems in their own right and dying for reappraisal."

From "Worst/Best/Overrated/Underrated Neil Young songs/albums?" (post #20, December 30, 2015)
    "I love Landing On Water and Trans, and feel both offer little seen aspects of Neil Young's personality. For all its robotic trappings, Trans is, to me, the sweetest, most tender thing he's ever done. A space age collection of lullabies, if you will.
    And as wacky as Landing on Water is, it's also incredibly passionate and inventive.."

4. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

Well thanks for the pickiness. I actually wondered if I should've said "discussed as a topic" but it was too late to edit. I thought most people would get the gist. You snagged me. But to answer your question, indie musicology isn't about research as you seem to imply. I should start a thread to discuss that topic someday. Of all the things that make people ornery in social media, that's a real winner. People hate when it is implied you think you're more of an authority than they are, but it's really not that at all, it's a job, the present day internet connotation that is.

5. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Enlighten us then, what is "indie musicology" about, if not research ? Overrating the underrated in the name of balance ? Going boldly where everyone has gone before ? The plain old expression of likes and dislikes as if they must mean something to people everywhere ?

6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

It's not the worst album Neil Young has made.

D.D.

John Bliss likes this.
  7. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I got rid of my copy of this album almost right away after just one listen- which is saying something I guess as I'm a long time huge NY fan. Now, after reading through this thread I'm thinking I should have given it a better chance- at least a few more listens. So thanks a lot for talking me into spending more of my hard earned cash, folks, LOL.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

You don't make a rock album (which was Neil's intention) with keyboard bass; a big no no. Steve Jordan is a monster drummer though. This album really needs a remix; ditch most of the synths, turn the guitars up, overdub a real bass player.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Man at C&A and ego1jr like this.
  9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yeah, that would be great. The songs (as usual for NY) are really great.

I Love the Hippy Dream mix as it is though. Always room for improvement of course.

DTK likes this.
  10. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

oh it started on mp3.com when it was mostly indies. It's about listening to the vast amounts of new songs uploaded by indies, vetting them for features and such. I've probably listened to more indie mp3s than most people here have listened to all music in their lifetime. It's a lot of listening, an incredible glut of songs.

11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

The album is loud, raucous, a little CRAZY and that makes it good, if you're in the mood!

I'm a huge fan of Trans and Everybody's Rockin so call me CRAZY.

davers and Heart of Gold like this.
  12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I don't think those two have anything in common with Landing On Water. I like Trans, too, and don't mind Everybody's Rockin' (though I still would rank the latter in the bottom tier.)

Edit: maybe I'm crazy, too!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  13. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

I'm going to sue you for that remark.

14. I love it for the simple reason it's like nothing else in his catalog. Totally unique Neil. It's so dated that it now sounds otherworldly. I love Neil's weird 80s stuff.

15. Absolutely. Warts and all, I really love a lot of what Neil did from Re-ac-tor all the way through This Note's for You. No, not every single song on every album -- but I'd probably rank the best 70% of his output from the 80's as being a much my "favorite" Neil Young, as anything from before or after.

Weird Neil Young, when I'm in the mood for it, is great! And Landing on Water (primarily weird because of the production) is no exception.

16. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I bought this album when it first came out. I remember not liking it much. Because of this thread, I dug it out, cleaned it off and have been listening to it this afternoon.
    I agree there are some good songs here, but the synth laden 80's production still kills it for me. I think Neil could rework these songs minus the synth and it could be a really good album. As it is, I still don't like it. I'm glad many of you seem to like it a lot though.

DTK, rstamberg, Zeki and 1 other person like this.
  17. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

My reaction as well- almost to a tee.

Coricama likes this.
  18. davers

davers Forum Resident

Totally agree regarding Neil's 80s stuff. "People On The Street" and "Touch The Night" off this album are among my very favorite Neil songs.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I bought LANDING ON WATER on its day of release. At the time, Geffen Records was calling it "a return to form." Not in my book. I still can't get into it ... it's just too loud and weird for me. I'm happy for those who like it, however.

Coricama likes this.
  20. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I bought Landing On Water very early in my CD purchasing days. I had plenty of Neil on vinyl and thought I'd pick up his latest release on CD. I knew to be cautious - Everybody's Rockin' was definitely a head scratcher - but went ahead and bought LOW. Several listens later, I evaluate it as a failed experiment. Hippie Dream is a knife to the heart kind of song, so I will rate that track pretty high. And I can deal with Weight Of The World. The rest of the album is pretty dire.

rstamberg likes this.
  21. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Hippie Dream Hippie Dream Hippie Dream Hippie Dream Hippie Dream Hippie Dream

I saw Neil and the Horse do Hippie Dream in KC at Horde 1997.

"And your wooden ships...are just a hippie dream...capsized in excess...if you know what I mean..."

John Bliss and Complier like this.
  22. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I just found a sealed original pressing (31 years old) for only $8! Sure, not one of his best LPs and not a rare record but I had to pick it up. I have definitely enjoyed the CD over the years and there are more than a few songs that I like. Side 1 is pretty darn good actually.

John Bliss likes this.
  23. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Hated it when it came out and for years afterward, then got into Hippie Dream and the rest came along for the ride. The live versions of Touch the Night with Crazy Horse in Santa Cruz '84 are better than the album cut, imo.

24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Ok, listened to it this week. Didn't change my mind… Not very good.

Not even good.

25. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

This is the only Neil Young album I have (it was the last one my library had for sale, so don't judge me!) :D I like the production; the drums sound very punchy and dynamic. The album's decent overall, though I understand that it's pretty different from Neil Young's earlier stuff. Drifter alone was worth the price of admission.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.