Language question: Why has "vinyls" become a word?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TMegginson, Aug 13, 2019.

1. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Forum Resident

Why don't they speak English, dammit.

2. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

The English way makes sense. I would naturally say “I failed my stats course” rather than “... stat course.” And I’m American.

ParloFax likes this.
  3. violarules

violarules Forum Resident

Darnit! I did see it but forgot to highlight it!

4. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I have several friends who collect vinyl, and I frequent record stores and often people watch ha, and I have never heard someone say "vinyls" in person. Is this a phenomenon that people are encountering online perhaps? As in people are typing "I collect vinyls" instead of "I collect records"....?

5. Greg Gee

Greg Gee Forum Resident

Especially on internet news sites. They seem to be more concerned about getting an article posted than having it proof read and/or edited.

6. Greg Gee

Greg Gee Forum Resident

I think sometimes Americans forget that English originated in England. And, if you want to get technical, English actually has a German heritage.

7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It actually originated in what we would now call Germany, as I see you’ve updated your post to acknowledge.

8. Greg Gee

Greg Gee Forum Resident

...before I saw this. ;o)
    It was an after thought expecting to hear about it.

9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Before the Angles and the Saxons colonized the island that we now call England, the people who lived there spoke either Latin or Celtic dialects. And didn’t say “vinyls.”

KeninDC, DeRosa and Greg Gee like this.
  10. Greg Gee

Greg Gee Forum Resident

LOL!

11. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist He plays a 12-string bass. WHY?

"Vinyls" irritates me. Really.

12. DeRosa

DeRosa Forum Resident

Since you are clearly educated or trained in language, I'm very curious why you've posted so many responses in this thread
    with either technical or historic language usage explanations, yet somehow seem to be refuting the basic point that it is quite common to place
    an "s" on a "countable noun" to make it plural. Certainly you're not arguing "vinyl" when used as a noun referring to an LP record is a mass noun?

Just to be clear, you obviously understand the difference between using "vinyl" and as an adjective rather than a noun, yes?
    Or are you making the argument that it's incorrect to use "vinyl" as a noun? Do you accept "CD" or "Cassette" as nouns?
    We're not biased by format, correct?

There are a vast number of irregular plural noun examples, perhaps you prefer 'vinylen', 'vinylves', or
    or some other exception to the normal plural noun patterns?

13. Achn2b

Achn2b Well-Known Member

Vinyls bugs me. Its just wrong. Even if you insist on calling a record 'vinyl', your entire collection is still 'vinyl', not 'vinyls'.

The other one that really bugs me is 'colorways'. "Our new turntable is available in a number of attractive colorways". No. It's available in a number of attractive colors. Period.

14. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I’m 42 and when I was growing up, LP, plural LPs, was a term people older than me used to refer to records. My generation would have probably needed to come up with our own term, but vinyl had fallen out of fashion when we started to build our record collections so we were spared the bother. Nowadays, vinyl is popular again but no self respecting millennial is going to want to refer to it by a name that was passe in the early nineties, hence vinyl, plural vinyls. I don’t have to like it but things move on.

15. DeRosa

DeRosa Forum Resident

It does me too, but i'm trying to understand the reason why, other than it wasn't what we said back in the (before Record Store) day.
    "Cassettes" doesn't bother me at all, so it's a curious thing.