Language question: Why has "vinyls" become a word?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TMegginson, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Not that I'd have a problem with people doing that intentionally, but I'd bet those are rather examples of autocorrect. There are a number of those that are very common. Another is "defiantly" instead of "definitely." Those are typically an issue of people being sloppy typers on some devices in combination with often-"aggressive" autocorrect.

I get a lot of them when I'm on my kindle where it will do things like change "not" to "nit"--when I manage to actually type "not" that is, or "onky" for "only" etc. I think it's because I mistyped those words so often that the mistype wound up in the dictionary, and my kindle will default to the mistype instead.

lschwart, Greg Gee, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Next it will become a verb. "Dude do you even vinyl?" Then watch heads explode.

sleepjar and MoonPool like this.
  3. Terrapin Station

Just because people weren't saying "peases" often enough.

TMegginson likes this.
  4. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I dunno...'vinyl' is the plural of 'vinyl' in a phonograph record context.
    "I hate meeses to pieces!" (except for good old Ed...)

[​IMG]

intv7 and Terrapin Station like this.
  5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

To be badass I stopped saying CD and insist on Compact Disc.

6. Terrapin Station

[​IMG]

Fastnbulbous and intv7 like this.
  7. I think the issue is that the term "vinyl" (as it relates to records), really functions as a collective noun. After all, the colloquial use of the term denotes not "a record" (or multiple records), so much as it simply refers to the type of material used to make said record/records.

It's NOT so much that the plural of vinyl is vinyl, so much as the term itself really can have no plural, since it's just the name of a type of material.

Of course, the problem is that millennials think record = vinyl, therefore 1 record = 1 vinyl.

Most of them, frankly, probably don't even think of the term as being shorthand for the name of a chemical composition: Polyvinyl Chloride. And most have never heard of vinyl siding, or vinyl flooring, or any number of other things that are typically made of vinyl.

As such, it's just another name for record, and if you pluralize one, why wouldn't you pluralize the other?

THAT SAID, "vinyls" sounds like nails on a chalkboard to my ears, and I'm sure I would cringe rather hard if I heard the term used out in the wild.

8. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

In the pre-CD era, we referred to all vinyl configurations as records.

12" were either LPs, EPs or albums, 7" were either 45s or singles.

Dinosaurs also roamed the earth but that's a whole nuther thread... ;)

TMegginson and Markyp like this.
  9. Terrapin Station

That would be one big advantage they have as a generation--if they've not had to deal with vinyl siding salesmen.

10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Why on earth would you assume that millennials have never heard of vinyl siding or vinyl flooring?

Millennials "think" that record = vinyl because that is how the industry itself has begun to refer to them.

This post just strikes me as 'millennials = stupid.' This referring to over 80 million people in the U.S. alone.

11. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

it has become a word because the world is a stupid place

Grant and intv7 like this.
  12. There you go: neologism... This nominalization of the word "millennial" is not in my old Webster's from 1981.

TMegginson likes this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

First world problem

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Missed opportunity to make that movie truly horrifying!

intv7 and Terrapin Station like this.
  15. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident Thread Starter

A 20-year-old Copywriter on my team explained to me that "stupid thick" is a compliment now. She's a post-millennial, like my teenage son.

ParloFax likes this.
  16. Terrapin Station

Exactly. In places like Somalia, folks couldn't care less if you call it vinyl or vinyls. They have to deal with real problems like a shortage of Robert Ludwig Zeppelin II vinyl(s).

intv7 and Sear like this.
  17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Let me stop you right there

TMegginson likes this.
  18. Terrapin Station

"Stupid" is roughly equivalent to "wicked" a la Boston usage there, isn't it?

I'm not sure what "thick" would stem from . . . my first thought was using "thick" as a positive body-type attribute. But that might not be it.

TMegginson likes this.
  19. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Sadly, that seems to be the consensus.

But I’ll never not cringe at it. People who use the pluralized V-word for records might as well call their keys metals and their shirts cottons.

Markyp and intv7 like this.
  20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Wow sometimes I hear when people say 'bad' they actually mean 'good'! What a novel and unprecedented generation this is

TMegginson likes this.
  21. TMegginson

It is. And she tells me that "she's stupid thick" reads as "she's so shapely (on the bottom end) it's just stupid."

22. TMegginson

"linens
    plural noun US/ˈlɪn·ənz/
    cloth items for the home, such as sheets and tablecloths, made from linen or a similar material like cotton"

(Cambridge Dictionary)

There are many more.

sleepjar, ianuaditis and ParloFax like this.
  23. TMegginson

Especially when they use 1980s slang. ;)

intv7 likes this.
  24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

When things were totally fine, and there was no Millennial language abuse

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  25. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

It's "our own" fault -- I won't speak for the collective, as I know not everyone does it -- but those of us who used the term "on vinyl" over the years are partially to blame for all of this. Seed_drill referred to the usage of "vinyls" upthread as "linguistic blowback", and that's exactly what it is. It's a direct result of the word "vinyl" being thrown around among those who knew how to use it. Now, it's been appropriated by those who do not.

dkmonroe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.