Language question: Why has "vinyls" become a word?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TMegginson, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident Thread Starter

That, and to make a status display of wealth, education, and/or culture.

When English began to standardize in the early modern period, it was also a time when a new merchant class were growing wealth. To be taken seriously by the nobility they were now rubbing elbows with, they were eager to be trained in how to sound more like old money (some also bought titles). This created a demand for rules of English grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation that could be taught. Thus trained, one could sound as if one had not had to earn one's own wealth. (The horror!)

These new grammar experts tried to create systems that would make English sound more perfect. One thing they did was to try to make English more like Latin, which at that time was the perfect language. But, even though English has lots of French influences, it is really a Germanic language.

So some of the new rules, which red- and blue-blooded rich people both adopted, were based on Latin rules that made no sense in English. The most classic is "don't split the infinitive." If you've studied any Latin languages, you know that it's impossible to split the infinitive because it's one word. In English, it's two. That's why "To boldly go where no man has gone before" is perfectly cromulent — especially when the gendered part is updated.

It's natural to be annoyed by changes to language that make you feel distanced from others. New generations, and many subcultures, are attracted to grammar and vocabulary that allow them to express membership in a group, while also confusing their parents and other outsiders. We "olds," and others in the mainstream, naturally don't want to feel out-of-touch, so we are tempted to denigrate the way young people or subcultures use language.

But here's the thing: We don't have to.

And now I have Tom Tom Club's "Wordy Rappinghood" rattling through my brain.

BeatleJWOL, Greg Gee and LitHum05 like this.
  2. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

3. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

I'd agree except it's mostly due to misusage.

Greg Gee and TMegginson like this.
  4. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's a particularly smart joke from the Simpsons in 1996. The teachers are debating whether "embiggen" (which appears in an educational film being shown at the school) is actually a word. The reply is "It's a perfectly cromulent word."

"Cromulent" was made up by the writers, but it instantly entered the Gen X vocabulary, at least in the US and Canada, because it was useful as a perfect response to any questionable neologism.

More here:

Cromulent

BeatleJWOL and Greg Gee like this.
  5. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I must admit that when I hear or see someone use the word "vinyls" my first unkind thought is, "idiot".
    Not only is it wrong it also sounds awkward and weird.

With an accent it's cute and sounds like my Swiss friend doing his darnedest to get English right and is getting close but is not quite there.

6. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

When I was a kid, I thought of a "record player" as a fully contained single unit (amp, turntable, speakers). This could be anything from a small portable device, to a large stationary console. My first "record player" played only 45's. My parents had a large single console record player that took up half of our family room. Both had built-in, non-detachable speakers.

Later as a teen, I purchased separate components, including a turntable.

All of the above played vinyls.

Greg Gee likes this.
  7. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

I get the use of the word vinyl, it's the pluralisation with an 's' that just doesn't sound right. The word 'vinyl' would be used occasionally to describe records in the pre-CD era, but when referenced in the plural, as in 'you've got a lot of vinyl', it was without an 's'. Maybe because it's a type of material, I'm not sure.
    Language may evolve (often due to laziness and misuse) but it's still going to sound awkward to those old enough to remember the correct usage. :)

bluemooze likes this.
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Nope. They played records. :)

9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Hmmm. The only problem is that "cromulent", as described in that article, seems to be merely a synonym for "acceptable".

If course it does have the advantage that the word lends itself to modifications, as in "the cromulence of this is not in dispute".

TMegginson likes this.
  10. HarrySmith

HarrySmith Forum Resident

Same with 'wala' for voilà. I think they're being ironic, but who knows?
    'Do' for due is fairly ridiculous, but 'peaked my interest' always makes me laugh. It should be piqued, btw

BeatleJWOL, Mai Tem Baht and Greg Gee like this.
  11. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I don't think it was around in 1950. I don't remember seeing it before the turn of the century, but maybe i suppressed that. lol. Im 60.

12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Usually when a group starts using a word all the sheepS follow.

13. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

But when you use “glass” as an adjective to describe a class of things made out of the material glass in general, you wouldn’t say “people who live in glasses houses shouldn’t throw stones.” You wouldn’t say “The buildings downtown are made of glasses” or “the downtown skyline of glasses,” you would say “the buildings are made of glass” or “the skyline of glass.”

No one would say “I have a collection of vinyls records.” They would say “I have a collection of vinyl records.” When you drop the noun “records” and use the adjective “vinyl” to stand for both itself and the omitted noun, as we see in the adage “youth is wasted on the young,” we don’t suddenly tack a “s” onto the standalone adjective to make it “plural.” If that were so, the saying would be “youth is wasted on the youngs,” with “youngs” standing in for the implicitly understood “young people” or “young persons.” But no one would say “youth is wasted on the youngs persons” or “youth is wasted on the youngs,” just as no one would say “today I bought five vinyls records.” Omitting “records” from that sentence doesn’t make “today I bought five vinyls” a valid or correct sentence.

15. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

Why do British people refer to math as maths (especially when referring to the combination of types of math, from basic to advanced)? Americans just call it all math.

There is also a tendency of non-native English speakers to sometumes add an extra s before they completely learn the language ("it's mine" becomes "it's mines," advice becomes advices, clothes becomes clotheses).

16. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

When I was a kid, we called it macaroni. Now everyone calls it pasta. What's up with that?

bluemooze likes this.
  17. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

I work in a record store. It's not just the millenials, some older people say vinyls. Sheet, I've even slipped a couple of times.
    At the end of the day, language evolves: give them their vinyls.

And their 'playlists'.

TMegginson likes this.
  18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Because "maths" is short for "mathematics". Your own post may provide a clue to answer your question. There are many branches of mathematics: algebra, geometry, calculus, number theory, etc, I don't know the derivation of the word "mathematics", but it may be that it's pluralised to indicate that it refers to many different but related disciplines.

One may as well ask "Why do American people refer to maths as math?". I can assure you that "math" sounds just as weird to me as "maths" sounds to you. We think of what we grew up with as normal.

19. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

We say maths in Australia too! Cool hey?

20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

That's easy. Macaroni is a type of pasta. So is spaghetti.

What bothers me more is, if you have only one of the buggers, is it correct to call it a "macorono", or a "spaghetto"?

21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Nope, I do not accept that one record is “a vinyl.” I bought that on vinyl is acceptable. I bought a vinyl of that is unacceptable. I bought two vinyls today is death by firing squad.

ArneW, nosliw and bluemooze like this.
  22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The first time I saw the term was from those of which English is not their native language. I figured it was because of the difficulty of some to master the idiosyncrasies of the English language.

23. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

Slade probably would.

TMegginson and Spencer R like this.
  24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I accept it, so that's where we differ. :)

Of course it's beyond me why anyone would buy a vinyl, let alone two vinyls, but that's a matter for other threads, being more about media preference than about language.

Synthfreek likes this.
  25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I never thought of that!:laugh: I think you're right. What goes around comes around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.