Large mid/bass, soft-dome tweeter, high(ish) sensitivity

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by miwatk, Jan 25, 2023.

1. miwatk

miwatk Active Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for speakers with the above characteristics. By "large" mid/bass, I mean at least 8 inches, though less than 15. I mostly listen at low volumes, below 70db, so I want something that can come on song with ease, hence the larger driver and higher sensitivity. My room is also pretty reflective, with the rear wall almost entirely windows, so I’m looking for something with a forgiving treble response. I should also add that I'd prefer to keep the price ~$2000.

Wharfedale Linton seems to check most of these boxes, but I’m wondering if there’s something else out there that I’m missing. Let me know!

Thanks.

Toneh likes this.
  2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

The DeVore stuff comes to mind though not at those prices. You're insisting on two-way? Or could be three? Must be a box, or could be a tower? Around $2k I totally loved the Monitor Audio Silver 300 when I spent some hours with it at Upscale Audio. Everything sounded great: classical, jazz, country, even Motorhead's seminal No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith. Now there's a "7G" model and I'm not sure the price, or if you can find the previous on closeout. We also really liked the Linton Heritage quite a lot-it sounded nice throughout Audio Element's open plan shop. Mmmm not sure what else at those prices. Would you have any interest in DIY? And why a soft dome? Not against that, but there are some good metal dome and horn and ribbon, each with their own pros and cons. Dome tweeters will limit the sensitivity no matter the woofer; truly higher sensitivity usually means waveguide or full on horn.

3. AJR99

AJR99 Well-Known Member

I would say don’t limit yourself to size of woofers or soft dome vs metal dome. Bass can also be done deeply with tuning of the cabinet and excursion; and metal domes aren’t always piercing it’s all about execution in the design. I recently purchased Ascend Sierra-LX, a standmount with 6” woofer and metal domes, for example, and they both play deeper bass and have smoother highs than my old JBL L36’s with a 10” woofer and soft domes. I would suggest using spinorama.org to compare the frequency response of some speakers you have heard and others you are considering to help with some options. I would also recommend a preamp or integrated amp with loudness control for low volume listening.

4. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

As I read through your wish-list all I could think was "Linton 85th"... then I read the last line of your post.

I own a pair, so I'll be biased. These speakers have really changed my mindset going forward on what I think of as an ideal sound. And that ideal seems to be linked to the "ingredients" you've listed... larger drivers, higher sensitivity and a generally easy load...

I keep looking around for alternatives - purely out of a hobbyists curiosity, not dissatisfaction (I really enjoy these speakers) - so I can only offer the "usual suspects" like Harbeth or the new Mission 770... maybe even Klipsch Heritage? But none of those are within budget and definitely in the case of the Harbeth's and even those new Missions you'd be giving up ground in sensitivity.

As for your room - "pretty reflective" is never the easiest to deal with - virtually any speaker will do better if that could be addressed to some degree. How big is your room btw?

P.S - I can tell you first-hand that these do quite well at moderate volumes - how I normally listen - they don't shrink away into dullness like just about any of the "narrow baffle" designs I've owned in the past. That's just an anecdote... not "science" :winkgrin:

Also the Linton's offer a credible taste of easeful, "big speaker" sound in a way all the narrow baffle/small driver speakers I've owned can't match.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    AJR99 and ChrisR2060 like this.
  5. AJR99

AJR99 Well-Known Member

I don’t think there are any alternatives in that price bracket. KLH Model 5 are on sale for $2200, but metal tweeter. The new MoFi speakers look cool, but almost double budget, as are the JBL L100. The Lintons look like a great choice, they are very well designed and measure well.

Toneh likes this.
  6. Uberdine

Uberdine Well-Known Member

What about the Zu Dirty Weekends? I've never heard them but they tick all your boxes and people rave about them.

7. jek57

jek57 Forum Resident

Dynaudios emit 30s though they have 2 5.5 in woofers they do have a silk tweeter I just bought a pair waiting for them to ship the reason why bought them the reviewer where very impressed with the bass and they are a warmer type speaker these will be replacing Revels f36 which are a great speakers but they can be bright sounding at times being 65 my hearing might be changing as well

goldwax likes this.
  8. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

312elements and lost33 like this.
  9. lost33

lost33 Active Member

Just finished the Seas A26's driving with a tube VanAlstine Ultravalve, Franks final "perfect" Dynaco ST 70 type am. 35 watts per ch.
    Wonderful speakers and I listen at low volumes as well...highly recommended.

33na3rd likes this.
  10. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Your equipment profile isn’t filled out. What amp are you using? How big is your room and how close do you sit to your speakers?

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Tekton Lore Reference are good for low volumes.

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

A bit over budget with a decent deal but fantastic sounding speakers regardless- the MoFi SourcePoint 8.
    Has all you ask for and superior imaging is a huge plus.

[​IMG]