L'Art Du Son - how long to run RCM?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ScottRiqui, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottRiqui

ScottRiqui Forum Resident Thread Starter

With my Nitty Gritty (original Pro-2), I've always wetted the surfaces of the LP thoroughly, let it run 2-3 revolutions to clean, and then vacuumed for 4-5 revolutions to make sure everything's dry.

I just picked up a bottle of L'Art Du Son cleaning fluid, and I saw that the directions recommend 2-5 minutes per LP, which is obviously a lot more than 2-3 revolutions. I don't mind taking the extra time, but was wondering how long other people left their records spinning in the RCM when using LDS?

2. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I brush on, agitate and let them sit/soak for 2-3 minutes.

Leonthepro, bever70 and HankM like this.
  3. ScottRiqui

Thanks for the reply. A 2-3 minute soak makes sense, since you're going to want more time if you're not constantly agitating. But the directions I'm using appear to be recommending 2-5 minutes *with an RCM*, so that seems like a lot of time, although I guess only a small portion of the album is being brushed at any given instant.

4. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

2-5 minutes is a timing recommendation when L’Art Du Son is used in an ultrasonic cleaning machine.

Keep using your Nitty Gritty the same way you’ve always used it because it’s the correct way and works best. 2-3 revs to clean; 4-5 to dry, just as you posted.

E.Baba, bluemooze and ScottRiqui like this.
  5. ScottRiqui

Ah, the directions didn't specify an *ultrasonic* RCM, but that makes much more sense of the timing recommendation.

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I don't soak the records at all with L'Art du Son. I run 4 passes CCW, then 4 passes CW, then vacuum, followed by a distilled water rinse. And I think I'm overdoing it. I will soak the record for a few minutes when I use an enzyme cleaner, but not with L'Art du Son.

7. HankM

HankM Senior Member

I do the same with my VPI 16.5

Guitarded likes this.
  8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Ditto.

Guitarded likes this.
  9. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I too put on L'Art du Son and let it soak for 2-3 minutes and even up to 5-6 minutes if the record is dirty. Don't hesitate to let the cleaning fluid soak for a couple of minutes as this lifts up the dirt from the record surface and makes the work with the record brush so much easier. If a record is very dirty I repeat the same process 2-3 times to ensure that it really get clean. I always get excellent results by using this method.

dianos and Guitarded like this.
  10. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

It’s soaking time. Put it on and let it work. Then remove it with 2-3 turns on the RCM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.