Laseridisc emporium - Jazz for grown-ups -ctproduced.com

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 4mc, May 19, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4mc

4mc Forum Resident Thread Starter

[I took the twisty little path, opened the grate at the end of the river, and jumped inside].

A year or so I had a single laserdisc, one that IBM had put together for training, and on which I gave a 15-minute talk. I never imagined ever bothering to get a laserdisc player and actually seeing it.

Then sometime mid-year I got sent a promo copy of the CTI Press kit for the launch of their Rhythmstick CD and laserdisc movie in Japan. CTI All Stars* - Rhythmstick

This set me off on a crusade to find a working player, the laserdisc was great. From there, I acquired 3 more CTI Laserdiscs, and then started to work out how to convert them to watchable films on youtube. The first batch are now on youtube. I'll be writing a blog post about each in the coming months... as well as adding others where I can get the laserdiscs and am able to post them without disappearing into licensing hell.
    ctproduced - YouTube

So far:

Live from Bahia - Larry Coryell
    Song of the Sun - Jim Beard
    YouTube
    For The Record - Bob James
    Double Bass (Live) - Ron Carter

If interested in this era jazz, Like and Subscribe as they say, I have Grover Washington Jr., Freddie Hubbard, and Steve Gadd laserdiscs in the coming week.

Also, I'm really, really, interested in even borrowing copies of the Charles Farmbrough, Blues at Bradleys laserdisc, which I've never seen listed for sale, but apparently exists, also the laserdisc that goes with the Devils Toothpick CD... If you''ve got them, know who has, or where they are on sale, get in touch.

Dan Steele likes this.
  2. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Mark, honored to be your first poster. Your contributions to the CTI and Kudu thread have been fantastic. Wish I could return the favor but I know nothing about laser discs and don’t want anything medium to spend $ on! However I will keep my eyes peeled when I am out digging. And will check out your YouTube channel.

what is the Steve Gadd album?

3. 4mc

Thanks so much Dan. I knew nothing about laserdiscs a year ago... and hopefully if I can get all the jazz ones on youtube in good quality, no one else will ever have to.

Here is the discogs for Gadd Gang Live. The Gadd Gang - On Digital Video

It's one of the problematical ones, since it's already been licensed by Eagle rock for DVD distribution in the USA. Which likely means when I post it to youtube, it will be blocked in the USA.

Dan Steele likes this.
  4. 4mc

My next laserdisc is up on youtube incognito for now, It has the finest Freddie, Ron, Lenny White and Cedar Walton 58-minutes you'll watch anytime. Also see the interludes with founder and owner of the Village, Max Gordon. For now, you can only get to it via Live At The Village Vanguard Freddie Hubbard

jeffsab likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.