Last DVD/BD/UHD BD You Purchased

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Kaskade10729, Oct 1, 2021.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Chicago Blackhawks 2010 + 2015 celebration, James A Michner's CENTENNIAL, Eyes in the Night, and 10 War Collection--The Eagle and The Hawk. The Last Outpost, Wake Island, Bengal Birgade. To Hell and Bck, Battle Hymn, Jet Pilot, In Enemy Country, Raid on Rommel, Vizana's Raid

2. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

3. jason88cubs

Fast times at Ridgemont high, Jawbreaker, Eight men out, Ken Burns WAR, Hot Shots 1+2 , some hitchcock movies

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident Thread Starter

On what kind of media?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. jason88cubs

DVD

6. Kaskade10729

Love when others keep this format alive....:righton::thumbsup:

MikaelaArsenault and jason88cubs like this.
  7. Y'all keepin' CRTs alive, too? :p

:righton:

8. Kaskade10729

Nice try...

But you don't need a CRT to enjoy an anamorphically-enhanced widescreen DVD -- they look pretty damn great on my 65-inch 4K flat-panel. :righton::righton: :agree:

9. What an example of an anamorphically-enhanced wisescreen DVD? I really don't know. Every DVD that I play on my calibrated LG 77C1 looks like ass, but maybe I'm watching the wrong flicks. I even have the Oppo BDP-83 with the Anchor Bay VSR chip, as a backup player, which even in 2022 has some of the best, if not the best, deinterlacing engines for DVDs.

Perhaps my problem is that the only things I watch on DVD are TV shows from the '70s, shot on videotape. Those are never going to look too good.

10. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

My latest six purchases: Dexter: New Blood / The Last Waltz (4K) / The Little Mermaid (4K) / Supergirl: Season 6 (Blu-Ray & DVD because I
    wanted both) / West Side Story (4K).
    [​IMG]

EVOLVIST likes this.
  11. Kaskade10729

[​IMG]

All of the anamorphic widescreen FILMS I watch on DVD -- and I had the Oppo BDP-83, as well, and you're right about it being the best for DVD playback, hands down (though the processor inside is the Anchor Bay VRS, not VSR) -- don't look like ass unless they weren't mastered/authored correctly (and this isn't taking into consideration what my current Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player does with DVD upscaling, which is to say, not very much; still, most things are beyond watchable).

Specialty items like the Sony SUPERBIT DVD line look absolutely gorgeous on my LCD screen, upscaled to 4K -- titles like the first two Spider-Man films, Men in Black, Black Hawk Down, the Bad Boys films and The Patriot, in SUPERBIT form, look like good Blu-rays on my systems, and always have.

jamesc and EVOLVIST like this.
  12. I'll have to check out something on Superbit. Thanks for the recommendations. Maybe Men in Black.

Yeah, a typo. Don't tell me your Panny player is a DP-UB820, also. :laugh:

Or maybe Panic Room (2002) would be a good choice.

These DVDs are dirt cheap.

jamesc and Kaskade10729 like this.
  13. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Another one I recently got : "Written On The Wind".
    [​IMG]

jason88cubs and EVOLVIST like this.
  14. Kaskade10729

LOL...nahh, the player is a DP-UB9000...

EVOLVIST likes this.
  15. Yeah, I had that one at first, but didn't need all of the connections. I sent it back and got the UB820 region unlocked, yet I'm seriously thinking about getting another UB820, or maybe UB9000, and just stocking it, in case the bottom falls out of the physical market.

Back on topic:

I just picked up Seargent York (1941) on BD, as I'm enamored with the work that Warner Archives is doing. It was a childhood favorite of mine.

I also picked up Blade Runner 2049 (2017) on UHD, which was a blind buy, as I'm a big fan of the original, only to find that Netflix just put the film up for streaming. I think I'll watch it on Netflix, first, and from there decide if I'll keep the spinning disc. If it's not a film that I'll return to, I'll send the unopened box back to Amazon and exchange it for something that I know I'll watch multiple times. Like maybe another Warner Archive release. :)

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  16. Kaskade10729

I had the UB820 for one night before I packed it up and returned it to Best Buy the next day -- $500 plus tax for a lightweight toy that feels like you can pick it up and take it to the beach? No way. There were a myriad of issues I had with this unit beyond the weight but which kind of related to that factor, such as the half-shelf depth (the player looked like a joke sitting on the glass shelf of my entertainment center, a half a foot or so above my AVR), the fact that the whole thing would move and actually flex when I attempted to push the stupid top-mounted controls for eject and power, the cheap and cheesy plastic left-mounted disc drawer, the ridiculously chintzy plastic drop-down "flap" that covered the front (Panasonic really needs to drop this stupid design element from their disc players already; it started with the DMP-BD10A, their first Blu-ray player, which I still own and use in the bedroom, and continued with the UB900, their first UHD BD player, onto the sub-9000 models we see today), no actual stabilizing feet on the bottom (so the unit just spins and moves out of place every time you touch it)...I can go on and on.

When we returned the 820 (my first choice was an Oppo UDP-203, but the company had already shuttered its disc player business by that time and used examples were going for like $2K on FleaBay, which I WASN'T paying), we ended up snagging one of the last Cambridge Audio CXUHDs, which was a direct clone of the 203 (right down to its menu structure) and which cost about $200 more than the Oppo did new (and the Panny 820), but I was willing to go somewhat out of budget for an all-metal deck that behaved like the UDP-203.

Unfortunately, that player developed a weird "ticking" noise around the drawer/drive area when ONLY playing DVDs, and even after sending the unit in for repair three times under warranty, they couldn't fix it (they claimed it didn't make the noise for them when they analyzed it). We then looked for a replacement for THAT unit, and ended up with the UB9000 because it was the ONLY premium, all-metal player available at the time (since even Pioneer had discontinued their LX500/800).

You're right about the connectivity of this $999 17-pound beast (the 9000), as we didn't need the XLR connectors or the analog circuitry inside either, but I totally value the insanely heavy build quality this thing exudes. I am one of those nutjobs who actually like to look at my gear while it's in use (the player and AVR are installed to the right of our screen, so they're visible from the listening/viewing position), and I appreciate the tactile feel of buttons, faceplates and switches; ironically (if you can believe this, because most people can't), our UB9000 has also developed a strange but clearly audible "cogging vibration" noise when the drawer slams shut -- but weirdly not when it opens -- and so I'm right back to dealing with a noisy premium disc spinner that isn't really living up to its moniker of "smooth and silent operation," like so many reviewers of these things tout...:(:(:realmad::realmad::shake::rant::wantsome:

Originally -- and this is going to touch on your comment concerning the physical media market -- we wanted to sell the Cambridge to offset the cost of the 9000, but after reading all these stories about how discs are finished and never coming back (and taking into consideration the fact that no company save for Reavon is making premium-level players that aren't plastic), we decided to keep the CXUHD boxed up as a backup for the day the Panasonic dies and can no longer be fixed (and when these things won't even be available to buy any longer).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Buffy The Vampire Slayer series..

Stencil and malcolm reynolds like this.
  18. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

19. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Purchased but haven't rec'd yet
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Halfwit likes this.
  20. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I think Panic Room is finally coming to BD and/or UHD this year...

Kaskade10729 and EVOLVIST like this.
  21. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Criterion Collection - Memories of Murder. I had a chance to borrow the DVD from a friend and I really enjoyed the movie, so I bought the Blu-ray. Otherwise I pre-ordered Spider-Man: No Way Home. I will probably buy Multiverse of Madness and Star Trek TMP Director's Cut when they come out, but I am getting really close to just stopping buying movies all together. I have 4 336-disc binders nearly full of Blu-rays and DVDs and am just running out of space. Plus there are less and less new movies I care to own (things I only want to watch once or maybe even a handful of times) and I am okay with just paying $3-5 and renting them from a service like Vudu or Apple for a day, or renting a Blu-ray/DVD from Redbox for a day.

22. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

UK Fantastic Films DVD complete series boxsets of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  23. Kaskade10729

24. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

This DVD of a Japanese TV special with Anita O'Day in 1963. Very good TV quality.
    I love the way she sings, like a sax player would do it.
    Pic of the DVD then a YouTube clip of one of the songs.
    [​IMG]

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Just released on DVD. A brilliant performance by Frank Ferrante and a wonderful tribute to Groucho Marx.

[​IMG]

cartoonist likes this.