Last few DVDs you've added to your collection...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ere, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

What's Up Tiger Lily?
    Akira Kurosawa's "Dreams"
    The Human Tornado (Dolemite II)
    Monkees: Head

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I checked the Best Buy web site and "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" is not currently available in their stores, although it can be ordered from their site.

The question becomes: Why is Best Buy hatin' on Mr. Furley? ;)

Regards,

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX

ANGEL Season 2

ED:cool:

4. danstone

danstone Senior Member

Chuck Jones - A Life In Animation ($9.99)
    Audioslave - Audioslave EP ($8.99)
    Pearl Harbor/Armageddon (both for $19.99 deal)

I'm enjoying all of these immensely, even though I know Pearl Harbor and Armageddon are not exactly everyone else's cup of tea, and was very pleasantly surprised at the pricing on all of them. Sometimes it pays to wait awhile before purchasing.

5. danstone

danstone Senior Member

RE: Ghost & Mr. Chicken

Even though I don't believe I've ever watched the whole movie, which I really should now that it's on DVD and I'm thinking about this, Ghost & Mr. Chicken has some fond memories for me personally as well.

While I can't really remember anything else about the movie, other than knowing Don Knotts was the star, I vividly remember seeing this on TV when I was very young and being quite spooked by the piano playing by itself. It was the first time that I can recall being scared by something on TV. I remember asking my dad about how the piano could play by itself and the subsequent discussion started my longtime fascination with special effects that continues to this day.

6. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Just got Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Sleeping Beauty.

7. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Paper Moon

What's Up, Doc?

What's Up, Tiger Lily? (FINALLY!)

Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park

I Love You To Death

8. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Usually I rent, but I couldn't resist 'by Brakhage: an anthology'. I saw many of these films in college, and I like having the DVD's because the individual frames are separate little paintings, drawings, etchings. I plan to go back to this set hundreds of times. Nice plain spoken commentary by Brakhage about each film, too.

9. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

The Graduate
    Bull Durham
    Get Shorty
    Below
    Chicago

(playin catch-up in levi-land)

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

So, I'm not missing anything with the Hallmark DVD's?

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

How's Sleeping Beauty look?

12. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I brought:

'Sleeping Beauty' (with BB comp CD)
    CC 'Insomnia'
    'On the Waterfront' SE
    CC 'Traffic'
    'All About Eve' SE
    'Gentleman's Agreement' SE

13. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Looks great to me. Seems to be a real nice restoration job.

14. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

The Day of the Jackel - 1973
    Dr. Strangelove - Special Edition

15. Ken_McAlinden

I just watched Day of the Jackal a few days ago. I wish the transfer were a little better, but that is a really cool film. Everytime I think of that Bruce Willis/Richard Gere "re-imagining" :rolleyes: of it, I have to watch the original twice just to get the bad taste out of my eyes. Ian Holm looks impossibly young in this one.

Regards,

16. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The Simpsons-Complete Third Season
    Family Guy-Volume Two-Third Season
    Cheech & Chong's Next Movie
    Paper Moon
    Joni Mitchell-Shadows And Light

17. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

60's Allstars Vol 1 - includes a lovely colour synch-up of Baby Let ME Take You Home by The Animals

Unplugged - The Corrs. What an incredible performance - their musicianship is superb - and it's magic when Caroline smiles.

18. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Did we completely talk about the new Sleeping Beauty transfer yet? Any big problems to history again??

19. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

In recent days:

The Making of Dark Side of the Moon - It seems kinda funny watching these proper British gentlemen talking about this spacey epic album; really enjoyed this; is Steely Dan's Aja done as well? anyone? How about "Who's Next"?

Valley Girl - yeah, go ahead and laugh, but it's a lot of fun and a great 80's soundtrack and has some of the best supplementals I've seen this year

Day The Earth Stood Still - it takes its place in my film library along with my deluxe boxed laserdisc; it still rings true after all these years; it's good to be a Gort

The Thing (From Another World) - I still like the original best, but Carpenter's version IS truer to the book if only by virtue of time and special effects

Rocky and Bullwinkle Season 1 - learned a lot about politics when I was a kid by watching this

Koyaanisqatsi - (sp?) - some of the best visuals I've ever seen on film; Philip Glass soundtrack if you're into minimalism; inspired the time-lapse film project I'm working on now

Still looking for:

To Kill A Mockingbird - it's available now but doesn't have all the extras that were on the laserdisc version.....I'll wait

....and to whoever said there was a Superbit version of "Lawrence of Arabia"....THANKS!! I'm sitting in Borders right now typing this out and I'm heading back to the DVD area after I log off to pick up this title (again); talk about a movie that is still significant in today's world....watch the scene at the end of the movie with Anthony Quinn and Peter O'Toole as they try to get all these nomadic, warring factions to sit around a meeting table to iron out their differences and create some form of harmonious government....we never learn from history, do we? (oops, sorry....no thread crapping allowed....."Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto!")

Yours at 24 frames a second,

dave

20. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Pink Floyd DSOTM - DVD
    Chicken Run

21. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

Led Zeppelin DVD
    Lawrence Of Arabia Superbit
    Leon: The Professional Superbit

22. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

High School Reunion Collection (The Breakfast Club / Sixteen Candles / Weird Science)

23. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Pink Floyd "DSOTM- Classic Albums documentary"
    The Simpsons- "third season"
    Monty Python- "The Meaning Of Life-Special Edition"
    Jimi Hendrix- Jimi Plays Berkeley (comes out on Tuesday--the local Best Buy had it out now. Great remixed soundtrack--same grainy picture (and terrible edits--huge chunks of music deleted. Aparrently, EH did not have access to the negatives or scenes deleted from the early 70's version of the film and Eddie Kramer was forced to cut the music to match their print of the film. On the plus side the DVD contains Jimi's second set from Berkeley in audio form only)

24. Ken_McAlinden

Sleeping Beauty

The Sleeping Beauty transfer is somewhat cropped. It is likely derived from a conventional 4-perf 35mm anamorphic element rather than a large format source. Compared to the previous laserdisc, it is slightly more cropped on the bottom and slightly less cropped on the top. It is a very clean looking image. The grain removal is comparable to Snow White, which means it is not especially film like, but it is still very detailed and enjoyable to watch on video. The DD5.1 track sounds pretty close to a straight repurposing of an original mag track from the 50s. This means it is more front biased than most modern mixes, but retains directional dialog rather than mixing it all to the center channel. There may be a little more surround use than the original track, but it is not obnoxious.

I would say it is a safe purchase.

Regards.

25. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

LOTR - The Two Towers
    Grateful Dawg - Garcia & Grisman :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.