LAST record preservation is garbage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by freqazoidiac, Feb 20, 2020.

1. My 2015 Bellman remasted Van Halen S/T which played looked and played spotless from the very first day over 5 years ago has been played to death. It was treated with LAST Record Preservative and it still plays this way. Maybe it's because my utmost care or maybe it's because LAST Record Preservative but I'll continue using it.
    I got Rush's Moving Pictures 2015 LP a month ago, another spotless pressing, a rarity coming from Universal Europe, I gave it a first listen and it didn't have a single carck or pop, I gently dry cleaned it with the MoFi record brush and then aplied LAST Record Preservative, I know a month is no time for an LP record, but same story like my Van Halen S/T LP, it remains like the very first day.

Pancat and iloveguitars like this.
  2. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

Just an FYI - it's also possible to have an LP that looks and plays spotless for five years without applying LAST. Heck, I have LP's from the mid 50's that don't have LAST that look and play spotless.

So I'd conclude that no, it wasn't the LAST, it was your utmost care of the LP that was the reason.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  3. analogmaniac

analogmaniac Forum Resident

I have used Last products since the 80's. Applied the preservative to thousands of records. Some I have played a lot. They still sound great and no wear I can detect. Same with Stylast. I have tried many many products throughout the years. Most didn't live up to the hype but Last is something I still use to this day.

Pancat and iloveguitars like this.
  4. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

I've never used Last products since the mid 70's. Never applied the preservative to thousands of records. Some I played a lot. They still sound great and no wear I can detect. Same with Sylast - never used it. I have not tried many many products throughout the years because they weren't need. All don't live up to the hype and Last is something I still don't use to this day, as it's pure marketing and not needed.

:D

5. analogmaniac

analogmaniac Forum Resident

Yup. That's what I get for sharing my experience.

6. radioalien

radioalien Well-Known Member

:eek::confused::confused::confused:

good god, is Dawn dish soap and distilled water ok???

7. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Might it be that the OP got some counterfeit LAST ?