'Last' stylus cleaner. Is it damaging with long term use?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dreadnought, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

I've had an entry level TT for just under 2 weeks and was sold some 'Last' stylus cleaner.
    I inadvertently learned there is some concern that this product may be harmful to the cantilever over the long term and have not yet used it.

Are my concerns justified? Anyone have any info on this stuff?

2. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

What cartridge are you using? If you're using an MM cartridge with a replaceable stylus then I wouldn't worry too much, since even if there were long term effects from usage the stylus would need changing before there's any chance for you to notice them.

Just a thought

3. Dreadnought

Dynavector 10X5.
    (Overkill for my table actually but it'll move with a table upgrade later).

4. Damián

Forget anything I said then :D.

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I've used Last Stylus Cleaner and Stylast Stylus Treatment for years with no ill effect. I paint a little fluid onto the short haired brush supplied, then CAREFULLY run it under the stylus, always back to front. Just the stylus appears to make contact with the brush itself, and I haven't had any problem with the fluid creeping up the cantilever.

6. Damián

:confused: I was confused then. I thought Last Stylus Cleaner was that goop in a little container you lower the needle into. I've used a bottle-and-brush cleaner for about a year and a half and found no problem with it (not LAST, though).

7. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

That's Zerodust, Damian. :)

I don't think there's any risk with using liquid stylus cleaners, just be careful not to get sloppy with the application if it contains any oils or it'll eventually work its way up the cantilever and into the motor where it'll settle, attract dust and impair movement. That would be bad. :D

Be neat and it'll work great. If the concern is with the cleaner dissolving the epoxy used to mount the stylus shank in the cantilever, I wouldn't lose any sleep. If a nightmare like that were commonplace, everybody would surely know about it. Neatness is the key...

8. Dreadnought

That seems sensible enough. Thanks, I'll give it a try. :)

9. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Well, with a name like Doppelganger and a location like Betwixt & Between, I figured it would be wise not to provoke with poor advice. ;)

Last stylus treatment (#5) definitely has some sort of lubricant as an ingredient, but I'm not sure about Last stylus cleaner (#4).

10. analogmaniac

analogmaniac Senior Member

I have used both Last stylus cleaner & Stylast for over 20 years. They keep the stylus clean, improves the sound & extends stylus life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.