Last time there was regular cigarette smoking in sitcoms by main character(s)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bartels76, Oct 4, 2022.

1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I know this sounds like a weird thread.
    I am watching Cheers and noticed that despite background customers cigarette smoking, none of the main cast smokes (at least on a regular basis) during the series. Maybe Rebecca (Kristie Alley) did at some point but I am still in the Shelly Long years.
    In I Love Lucy, their early years was sponsored by Philip Morris so they smoked regularly and even after their sponsorship they would still light up in some episodes so they count.
    Then I was thinking was there any sitcom in the 60's? I can't think of any. Dick Van Dyke Show- that's next on my list to binge?
    What about the 70's? Maude? Mary Tyler Moore smoked in real life during her series but never on the show.
    So I can't think of any after I Love Lucy? Is there any?

Note: I'm not counting cigar smoking as there a bunch of shows throughout the years that did that. I believe Tim Allen was smoking cigars on Home Improvement? Not sure who did after that. I didn't count dramas and westerns as usually villains or of the time period (Westerns, Mad Men) characters would often be lighting up. Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad would be another example. He chain smoked throughout the series.
    Also, sitcoms set in past time i.e. Marvelous Mrs Maisel wouldn't count. No cartoons (i.e. Patty & Selma from the Simpsons)
    Only sitcoms that took place in the present time period who were the last main characters that smoked?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    S. P. Honeybunch, altaeria and 905 like this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Do Patty & Selma count?

Scowl, Sean, andrewskyDE and 4 others like this.
  3. bartels76

No they aren't main characters and a cartoon. I thought of them. :D

4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Wasn't there a storyline in Friends about the others try to help Chandler give up Smoking? I've only seen two or three episodes of the show but I'm sure that was one of them.

Sean, Matthew Tate, Thwacko and 3 others like this.
  5. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

This seems like one of those threads where the goalposts are going to be moved every post to disqualify something.

Brett44 and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  6. bartels76

That's a good example of maybe an extended storyline of him smoking as he would relapse. Is there any that was regular that continued throughout the series? No quitting.
    I just remembered Sarah Jessica Parker smoked in Sex In The City but she quit towards the end too.

altaeria, 905 and carlwm like this.
  7. bartels76

I promise it won't!

Sean, somnar, carlwm and 1 other person like this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Absolutely Fabulous, an appalling yet inexplicably popular British "sitcom" that ran on & off until 2012, featured a horrible pantomime dame type character played by Joanna Lumley who puffed her way through the couple of episodes I suffered through.

DaveinMA, the no guy, Thwacko and 4 others like this.
  9. pscreed

Veep. Selina Meyer.

Sean, Pete Puma, scobb and 1 other person like this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

You've mis-spelled vape. :D

timind likes this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That's because Grant Tinker didn't want anybody smelling it on her breath when they kissed the screen.

12. bartels76

Who smoked in Veep?

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Fred and Barney smoked, but only during the commercials.
    [​IMG]
    Savages.

Sean, Matthew Tate, Grootna and 3 others like this.
  14. pscreed

Title character.

15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

There was a UK sitcom in the mid two thousands, just before our public smoking ban took hold, called The Smoking Room. It starred Paula Wilcox of Man About The House fame (itself full of actors puffing away) and was set in the smoking room of an office, or some such. I never saw it but I remember clips with plenty of nicotine going round.

ganma and somnar like this.
  16. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

This 1997 Sun-Sentinel article mentions a few findings from studies, which can help you pinpoint when smoking declined on television. Some passages copied below. (The studies they cite may take a little more effort to find.) The article is discussing how depictions of smoking was rising in television during the 1990s -- not necessarily by the main characters, but not always portrayed in a negative way (like when Chandler started taking up smoking on Friends, but the show strongly portrayed it as a bad thing).

Separate from Network TV, Netflix (and I think some of the other video streamers) did start having a lot of smoking on its shows for a time, like they missed the memo. Although Netflix stopped this after being called out about it by some public health groups. The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (if you want to consider that a "sitcom") did have a recurring character who smoked, I think it was a character who was freed from Kimmy's cult. Stranger Things also had a lot of smoking, although that's not what the OP is looking for (neither a sitcom or set in present day), but interesting to mention because it was a show with young viewers.

From the article:

"Tobacco advertisements have been banned from television since 1971, but the visual image of people lighting up has proved to be a hard habit to break for television networks.

"Tobacco usage - including cigarettes, cigars and chewing tobacco - on prime-time comedies is at its highest level since 1963. And on TV dramas, there hasn't been so much tobacco use on screen since 1970, according to a study done at the School of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. ...

"In his 1993 study, Glantz charted the usage of tobacco products and not only found that occurrences are on the rise in prime-time comedies and dramas, but that smoking is still shown in a positive light. In comedies, a tobacco event occurred almost once every two hours, and in dramas there were 1.2 events per hour.

"This is far from the 1950-63 height of televised tobacco use, which displayed more than two events per hour overall and more than four per hour in dramas. Usage was virtually nonexistent from 1971-77, right after the ban on tobacco-related TV ads went into effect, when tobacco showed up less than once every two hours overall and 0.7 time an hour in dramas. Comedy shows depicted tobacco only 0.06 time per hour in that era."

ganma and bartels76 like this.
  17. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

While he didn't smoke regularly, Kramer on Seinfeld did in so many episodes. In fact in one episode he turned his apartment into a smoking lounge.

George took up smoking to annoy his fiancee, to keep from getting married.

Both Jerry and Elaine smoked cigars.

Scowl, Matthew Tate, TwiceFan and 4 others like this.
  18. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Saw a senior vaping today in her car. That was weird.

Sean, timind and carlwm like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I don't recall, but what I do know many stars are smoking in new movies and movies from the past 10 or more years...

20. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Is The Bear a sitcom? Feels like one, however intelligent and not vapid.

Plenty of smoking.

Sean, Steve Litos and somnar like this.
  21. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Forum Resident

22. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Does this count?

[​IMG]

Jazzmonkie, Dyland, Whizz Kid and 8 others like this.
  23. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Ted Danson Becker that finished in 2004

24. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Morticia had a bad smoking habit.

[​IMG]

Dyland, Sean, Manapua and 8 others like this.
  25. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

the only sitcom that I thought of is barney miller which ended 4o years ago.
    detectives harris and yumana were smokers.